COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

25 minutes ago, greg775 said:

The stimulus bill had no chance. Politics. Pelosi   Trump was never going to agree to such a bill before the election. Our world is screwed until politicians start working together. I can dream.

Fixed it for you.  Pelosi actually got a bill passed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

Agreed. As we've seen if people don't follow the laws it keeps getting worse. 

Somehow still not getting. The laws and policies themselves are wrong and bad and need to change. That is the most important part. That is what Balta was saying when you mocked him for being an "extremist" and equating his concerns about the unchecked pandemic killing thousands of Americans every week to being afraid of sharks at Oak Street Beach.

You're frequenting restaurants and going to golf tournaments. Those seem to be pretty irresponsible things to do during a pandemic. Your sample county is in bad shape. That's why we need to start with public policy that doesn't let those restaurants and tournaments operate in the first place, so that irresponsible people don't make irresponsible decisions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

Depends on your lot in life. The median household income in some states is below $30K.

I could not live on that but there are certainly some that can.

This is also not accurate.  The lowest state by median income is 150% of this.

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Depends on your lot in life. The median household income in some states is below $30K.

People in this income range almost always have negative net worth and frequently can't pay all of their bills.

1 minute ago, StrangeSox said:

Somehow still not getting. The laws and policies themselves are wrong and bad and need to change. That is the most important part. That is what Balta was saying when you mocked him for being an "extremist" and equating his concerns about the unchecked pandemic killing thousands of Americans every week to being afraid of sharks at Oak Street Beach.

You're frequenting restaurants and going to golf tournaments. Those seem to be pretty irresponsible things to do during a pandemic. Your sample county is in bad shape. That's why we need to start with public policy that doesn't let those restaurants and tournaments operate in the first place, so that irresponsible people don't make irresponsible decisions.

Once again I agree we need stronger laws. Best of all then nobody needs to follow them. Happy now?

7 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Yeah, they are really living the high life. They barely make it. There kids have to wear used clothes. They skip meals. They drive broken down cars. People weren't going back to work for the extra $600, so they weren't making that. It's pathetic how some people who work their asses off have to live their life.

So the person making $100 a week. Does the employer really think if that person is competent, $100 a week will keep them around very long?

Edited by Dick Allen

4 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

I'm so confused now...

You want to be confused, I thought mail in ballots during a pandemic was a fraud. Look who is now endorsing them.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
·
Early voting and vote-by-mail start TODAY in ARIZONA! Cast your vote early in person, or request your vote-by-mail ballot right now. We want all eligible voters to vote, and have it counted! Request your vote-by-mail ballot by clicking below! #VOTE

US_Election_2020_Voting.png
Vote.DonaldJTrump.com

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Yeah, they are really living the high life. They barely make it. There kids have to wear used clothes. They skip meals. They drive broken down cars. People weren't going back to work for the extra $600, so they weren't making that. It's pathetic how some people who work their asses off have to live their life.

Again I am not talking about individuals supporting families.  My initial post was about a small restaurant that struggled to get employees in the summer because of the unemployment claims and never recovered.

I am by no means trying to state that a family of four in a an urban area is living large on this policy.

3 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Again I am not talking about individuals supporting families.  My initial post was about a small restaurant that struggled to get employees in the summer because of the unemployment claims and never recovered.

I am by no means trying to state that a family of four in a an urban area is living large on this policy.

If your friend is paying someone $100 a week, they must hardly be working. You would think their return wouldn't be necessary or they would be worth a bit more. If you are banking on a $100 a week employee, your business model is absurd. 

Edited by Dick Allen

4 hours ago, bmags said:

This Eli Lilly news is very, very good news.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/10/07/eli-lilly-monoclonal-antibody-cocktail-covid-19/

We have, rightfully, been focused on a vaccine because we know that there may be some longer term health effects we've yet to know how to treat or realize.

However, many of those that still get covid are in industries or first responders who cannot wait and need to be at high risk. When a vaccine comes, I hope people get it. But we are on verge of several very promising treatments that may substantially reduce time to recovery and mortality rate.

It's important because we're shooting for 80% efficacy with the vaccines in reducing or preventing someone from developing COVID, the disease you get from a SARS-CoV-2 infection. They're not trying to get a sterilizing vaccine that will actually prevent the infection in the first place at this point; it's a lot harder to do and I don't know if there's scientific consensus/belief that it's achievable with this virus. But it's not the current target.

So there's still going to be a whole lot of infection circulating around post-initial vaccine, maybe even more because now everyone is asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic and everything is fully reopened. That 20% who come up on the wrong side of the dice role are going to have more severe disease, maybe hospitalization, and they'll need these treatments.

I think the limitation with these synthetic antibodies though is that they're kinda like tamiflu and influenza in that they need to be administered early during the infection to have an impact, versus treating a more severe case of COVID after it develops, and that they are expensive and difficult to manufacture. So we'll see supply and pricing bottlenecks. Still better to have it than not, of course.

Edited by StrangeSox

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If your friend is paying someone $100 a week, they must hardly be working. You would think their return wouldn't be necessary or they would be worth a bit more. If you are banking on a $100 a week employee, your business model is absurd. 

I explained the employee's situation and why it was neither the employer or employee that was at fault.

Go 2 hours outside of Chicago and see how far $600 a week can get you.  

Maybe her business model is absurd but prior to COVID it was just fine for many years.  She was not forcing people to work in servitude. 

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I explained the employee's situation and why it was neither the employer or employee that was at fault.

Maybe her business model is absurd but prior to COVID it was just fine for many years.  She was not forcing people to work in servitude. 

I live in one of the cheapest markets in the midwest and it is still hard to live on that kind of money.

10 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

It's not a very good job, but it is a job, I will give you that. But, if you are paying someone that little, you should probably assume their employment will be very short term.

49 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

I'm so confused now...

My only point is people have to follow the rules. The original point was IF IF IF we're going to open at 25% capacity then people have to be responsible or forced into responsibility. Close bars that won't enforce 25%. Arrest people. Do whatever. Balta I believe wants to wait until they can operate at 100% or don't open at all. 

6 minutes ago, Texsox said:

My only point is people have to follow the rules. The original point was IF IF IF we're going to open at 25% capacity then people have to be responsible or forced into responsibility. Close bars that won't enforce 25%. Arrest people. Do whatever. Balta I believe wants to wait until they can operate at 100% or don't open at all. 

No, don't rewrite history. Your original point was that Balta was being hysterical and you likened his concerns about a deadly pandemic to being afraid of sharks in Lake Michigan.

9 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I must be crazier than Balta because I think you need to live like if you catch this virus, you will die. Granted, you probably won’t but you will pass it on to someone who might or they will pass it on to someone who might. Eventually someone will. So thinking that way, I don’t have to go out to drink wine with my family because there is a nice view. I can wait until we get things under control for that.

9 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

No, don't rewrite history. Your original point was that Balta was being hysterical and you likened his concerns about a deadly pandemic to being afraid of sharks in Lake Michigan.

I believe we need to follow the rules. You think a magic policy will work. 

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I must be crazier than Balta because I think you need to live like if you catch this virus, you will die. Granted, you probably won’t but you will pass it on to someone who might or they will pass it on to someone who might. Eventually someone will. So thinking that way, I don’t have to go out to drink wine with my family because there is a nice view. I can wait until we get things under control for that.

I will. I have cancer and heart disease. Fuck these people that won't follow the rules like responsible adults.

29 minutes ago, Texsox said:

If we would have just shut everything down back in March and had a concerted federal response to help get all those business through the 2 or 3 weeks they would've needed to have been shut down we could have had everything open at 100% a long time ago. That time is way past us now.

The problem is that opening at 25% isn't working either for a multitude of reasons. At this point in time, I don't know if there is a good solution.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

If we would have just shut everything down back in March and had a concerted federal response to help get all those business through the 2 or 3 weeks they would've needed to have been shut down we could have had everything open at 100% a long time ago. That time is way past us now.

The problem is that opening at 25% isn't working either for a multitude of reasons. At this point in time, I don't know if there is a good solution.

Wuhan China did it in about 3 months as the focal point of the pandemic.  The fact that we are almost at month 7 of this with no end in sight is a national embarrassment.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I believe we need to follow the rules. You think a magic policy will work. 

I will. I have cancer and heart disease. Fuck these people that won't follow the rules like responsible adults.

You're being irresponsible. The rules you're following are insufficient. You openly mocked someone who wants the stronger rules we need. You're still mocking people who want to do what the actually successful countries have done, calling it "magic policy."

Screw the people who think golf tournaments and frequent restaurant dining are acceptable and responsible activities during a pandemic. Childish, selfish adults putting their communities and collectively our whole country at risk indefinitely.

• Like 1