Jump to content
caulfield12

COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

You're being irresponsible. The rules you're following are insufficient. You openly mocked someone who wants the stronger rules we need. You're still mocking people who want to do what the actually successful countries have done, calling it "magic policy."

Screw the people who think golf tournaments and frequent restaurant dining are acceptable and responsible activities during a pandemic. Childish, selfish adults putting their communities and collectively our whole country at risk indefinitely.

I am a golf coach. I quit then I don't have health insurance and I die. So basically fuck off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I am a golf coach. I quit then I don't have health insurance and I die. So basically fuck off. 

I'm sorry the world has forced you into a shitty situation, as it has many other people. This is why Steps 1-N is sufficient public policy that would shut down dangerous activities like golf tournaments and make sure people like you don't suffer financially for it. Which is a fantastic example of why going on and on and on about "personal responsibility" is such a counterproductive discussion. You've been forced into a situation where you can't act responsibility to your community. That sucks, a lot, and it's why another 38k people were confirmed positive today, why another 685 died, why over 31,000 are suffering in hospitals and why we'll continue on with this same death toll day after day after day after day.

But at the same time, rather than acknowledging being forced into this situation by irresponsible officials, you've chosen to mock the people who point it out and to belittle their concerns. So don't act all defensive now.

In a country with sane public policy, we'd also all have health care without having to worry, of course.

Edited by StrangeSox
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

You want to be confused, I thought mail in ballots during a pandemic was a fraud. Look who is now endorsing them.

 

Donald J. Trump
 
@realDonaldTrump
·
Early voting and vote-by-mail start TODAY in ARIZONA! Cast your vote early in person, or request your vote-by-mail ballot right now. We want all eligible voters to vote, and have it counted! Request your vote-by-mail ballot by clicking below! #VOTE
 
US_Election_2020_Voting.png
Vote.DonaldJTrump.com

Probably something to do with the fact that 30-50% of senior citizens are scared to wait in long, out in the open, public lines with some refusing to wear masks or quite confrontational about being forced to...can guarantee he will push mail in ballots in Florida as well as a number of higher risk states with disproportionate voting numbers over age 50.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Wuhan China did it in about 3 months as the focal point of the pandemic.  The fact that we are almost at month 7 of this with no end in sight is a national embarrassment.

January 23rd to my wife going back to work on March 30th (essential/govnt workers)...that said, the official opening up was April 8th, and from a practical consideration, most K-7 students never went to school that entire time, in-person.  Only Grade 6/9/12 for nation-wide exams in June and July.  We got an emergency permission to bring kids back in mid-May for one week (mock exams).

I didn’t go outside once from January 23rd until May 25th, a full four months.  For the majority of people in the city, including senior citizens/retired, the average was somewhere around 3 1/2 - 4 months inside entirely...only being allowed to pick up food at the apartment gate or go out once a week for groceries, and you had to go through numerous checkpoints with temp checks to get anywhere.  If you had a fever or even got caught trying to buy fever medicines from the pharmacy, immediate two week quarantines away from family.  Lots of families even refused to let supposedly healthy family members members return after quarantine if there was a baby or young child in the household.   Keep in mind, many apartments had three generations if not four staying together, so both very old and very young mixed together with twenty and thirty-some parents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I am a golf coach. I quit then I don't have health insurance and I die. So basically fuck off. 

This is why pretty much nobody wants to be a public school teacher today.  Impossible decisions.   The feeling that you’re there 50-75% as a babysitter and social worker in most underperforming public school districts.  It’s policy failure after policy failure.  Entitled kids at better schools with overbearing parents.  Technology/cell phone/game addictions. Paying for school supplies yourself, often from summer or part-time jobs.  Expense of master’s programs versus pay scale bumps, but expectation of advanced degrees (of course, young/cheap teachers fit budgets better now). Increasing amounts of apathy, lack of focus and disrespect.   Those that do decide to teach aren’t entering as much for the calling, but out of practical concerns like health insurance, vacation time and pension (shrinking rapidly) benefits.   K-6 is where one sees the most dedication and idealism, but also a ton of resulting burnout.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Tex you eat tacos at 6:30 in the morning? 

The unemployment stimulus killed small businesses as much as anything.  A friend had to close her restaurant because they could not get enough support staff.  They are not in an urban area but not necessarily rural either.  They could not hire people that wanted to work.  A part time person that she was paying about $100 a week was making $800 a week to sit at home.  She could not pay that person a realistic wage to come back to work.  Another union friend has been out of work since mid-March and with random side work and unemployment has no interest in going back to work.  Let's also not even get into unemployment fraud which is out of control. 

We are all screwed.  

    

 

 

Listen to an episode of “The Daily” the other day, this exact same scenario happened and I bet it will continue to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, greg775 said:

The stimulus bill had no chance. Politics. Pelosi was never going to agree to such a bill before the election. Our world is screwed until politicians start working together. I can dream.

Then why did she persist to negotiate and her and Mnuchin continued making progress and then the president shut it down, before flipping and Meadows confirming it’s not happening before the election?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

 

Public leaders need to be responsible and order these businesses closed. That is Step 1-999 on "how to handle public health crisis." Take the decision out of the hands of thousands of individual businesses and millions of individual people, because we know, very very clearly, that this doesn't work.

 

 

 

Public health crises need public policy responses. When you focus on individuals during systemic failures, you'll never actually solve the problem. You fix the system.

DeSantis is crazy, how can he think this is safe? Does he honestly think that many fans will actually fill the stadium?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

You want to be confused, I thought mail in ballots during a pandemic was a fraud. Look who is now endorsing them.

 

Donald J. Trump
 
@realDonaldTrump
·
Early voting and vote-by-mail start TODAY in ARIZONA! Cast your vote early in person, or request your vote-by-mail ballot right now. We want all eligible voters to vote, and have it counted! Request your vote-by-mail ballot by clicking below! #VOTE
 
US_Election_2020_Voting.png
Vote.DonaldJTrump.com

And his VP mentioned voter fraud this evening just like the president mentioned it last Tuesday. Interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Another union friend has been out of work since mid-March and with random side work and unemployment has no interest in going back to work.  

As someone who was in a union for more than 20 years, I have to shake my head when I hear of union members doing “side work.” That friend is taking work from someone - aka “scabbing.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/08/politics/second-presidential-debate-virtual/index.html
 

Of course the president won’t participate in a virtual debate right after the debate sponsor announced the next town hall debate will be virtual. Why expose anyone to COVID-19 if he’s not cleared? What, is he afraid of not being able to interrupt and being muted?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Beast said:

DeSantis is crazy, how can he think this is safe? Does he honestly think that many fans will actually fill the stadium?

DeSantis is more than crazy. He refuses to face up to the horrible situation in his state. Tourism is a big part of Florida, but who in their right mind wants to travel to a state that is spiking all over the place? He represents the total feeling of denial that has only made things worse. Does he have to get the virus like Trump? Would he claim it would be an act of God and a blessing? He is not only crazy, he is delusional and the people of Florida are suffering for it. The man is a complete fool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump said his miracle cure Antibody cocktail, which cost more than $100,000 is something he suggested and will be available for free to everyone if re-elected. 

Alrighty then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Middle Buffalo said:

As someone who was in a union for more than 20 years, I have to shake my head when I hear of union members doing “side work.” That friend is taking work from someone - aka “scabbing.”

Chicago, Cook County, Illinois....Union Brotherhood runs deep until there is a cash job waiting 

Poor Frank Thomas 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

DeSantis is more than crazy. He refuses to face up to the horrible situation in his state. Tourism is a big part of Florida, but who in their right mind wants to travel to a state that is spiking all over the place? He represents the total feeling of denial that has only made things worse. Does he have to get the virus like Trump? Would he claim it would be an act of God and a blessing? He is not only crazy, he is delusional and the people of Florida are suffering for it. The man is a complete fool.

There are no state income taxes so not certain how much of the state economy is linked to tourism and the fiscal impact of closing the tourism and entertainment industry.  Put on the dog and pony show and then let the Federal government bail you out because you back the commander in chief.

Unlike Illinois where we will spend $77M on a make shift hospital nobody will use and worry about paying the bills later.  Illinois/Chicago need Biden to win and hope the federal government will come through on funding or the city and probably the state will most certainly have to declare bankruptcy.....the end of Chicago as a destination may not be too far off. 

I think what Florida is doing is stupid but they have a plan as poorly thought out as it may be....although I am not a fan of the state and expect nothing less. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

There are no state income taxes so not certain how much of the state economy is linked to tourism and the fiscal impact of closing the tourism and entertainment industry.  Put on the dog and pony show and then let the Federal government bail you out because you back the commander in chief.

Unlike Illinois where we will spend $77M on a make shift hospital nobody will use and worry about paying the bills later.  Illinois/Chicago need Biden to win and hope the federal government will come through on funding or the city and probably the state will most certainly have to declare bankruptcy.....the end of Chicago as a destination may not be too far off. 

I think what Florida is doing is stupid but they have a plan as poorly thought out as it may be....although I am not a fan of the state and expect nothing less. 

The tourism industry has an economic impact of $67 billion on Florida's economy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Trump said his miracle cure Antibody cocktail, which cost more than $100,000 is something he suggested and will be available for free to everyone if re-elected. 

Alrighty then.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

 

Simply put, Trump is all over the place and has no credibility when it comes to this crisis. Denying its impact is not a solution. And I have not heard one bit of empathy from him regarding his staff and supporters who have contracted the virus. The same goes for his wife not that he cares about her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

There are no state income taxes so not certain how much of the state economy is linked to tourism and the fiscal impact of closing the tourism and entertainment industry.  Put on the dog and pony show and then let the Federal government bail you out because you back the commander in chief.

Unlike Illinois where we will spend $77M on a make shift hospital nobody will use and worry about paying the bills later.  Illinois/Chicago need Biden to win and hope the federal government will come through on funding or the city and probably the state will most certainly have to declare bankruptcy.....the end of Chicago as a destination may not be too far off. 

I think what Florida is doing is stupid but they have a plan as poorly thought out as it may be....although I am not a fan of the state and expect nothing less. 

Interesting that you are complaining about a pop up hospital that is sitting in wait in case a second wave overwhelms hospitals, like what is happening in Wisconsin right now.  But please let's hear some more anecdotal stories about people not wanting to work

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Interesting that you are complaining about a pop up hospital that is sitting in wait in case a second wave overwhelms hospitals, like what is happening in Wisconsin right now.  But please let's hear some more anecdotal stories about people not wanting to work

 

 

My point was comparative of how states are handling the economic burden.  I guess I need to come right out in this thread and pick a side and defend it until I get banned sort of like real life.  Got it.  Carry on.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×