COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0822-7

Using public and published information, we estimate that the overall symptomatic case fatality risk (the probability of dying after developing symptoms) of COVID-19 in Wuhan was 1.4% (0.9–2.1%), which is substantially lower than both the corresponding crude or naïve confirmed case fatality risk (2,169/48,557 = 4.5%) and the approximator of deaths/deaths + recoveries (2,169/2,169 + 17,572 = 11%) as of 29 February 2020. Compared to those aged 30–59 years, those aged below 30 and above 59 years were 0.6 (0.3–1.1) and 5.1 (4.2–6.1) times more likely to die after developing symptoms. The risk of symptomatic infection increased with age (for example, at ~4% per year among adults aged 30–60 years).

Now we can't get a haircut til April 12 here, surely it'll be longer than that. I wonder if this will be like Prohibition. Barbers sneaking people in their garages for emergency haircuts. We're all gonna look like these guys soon enough.

https://www.google.com/search?q=70s+haircuts+male&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=oq4WPFr9XxGwfM%3A%2Czrb4FTrz4KDt8M%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kS25s-DQZpLd0yYeahdRMsIxHdXig&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjC7_CluafoAhUBI6wKHRYuByYQ9QEwA3oECAoQLA#imgrc=oq4WPFr9XxGwfM:

6 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Just yesterday the restaurant industry predicted losses of $225 billion and the loss of 5 to 7 million jobs in the next 3 months.  The Hotel lobby is predicting 4 million job losses.  We haven't even gotten to retail, travel, or entertainment, or any of the job losses that will result from initial job losses.  The initial filing numbers have exploded already.  I said 10%, but I might even be a bit light.  We are looking at a 10 to 15% contraction in GDP when all is said and done.  With the deflationary cycle we are seeing, on top of the job losses and market crash, the initial stages of this look more like 1929 than 2008.

21 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

This probably shouldn't be legal, but it is!

This is one of my biggest pet peeves in government.  The fact that all of these bastards can insider trade legally is criminal.  I would be barred for life if I did it.  They just get rich.

Hi everyone,

I want to stop in for the first time since my post on Monday.

My absolute best friend is in the secret service. He texted me overnight Sunday, essentially telling me to go get necessities because there was going to be a huge announcement. I thought I'd be helping by posting that, but evidently I did not nothing of importance. I reached out to him and he essentially told me that the plan was for a nationwide shutdown to happen- everything except medical facilities- and it was changed last minute Monday. The meeting even consisted of military, so I don't know why or how that could be changed.

Anyways, I apologize. I was wrong.

Let's all get through this. Be smart and safe.

Edited by soxfan49

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is one of my biggest pet peeves in government.  The fact that all of these bastards can insider trade legally is criminal.  I would be barred for life if I did it.  They just get rich.

His office's response was "no no this was totally legitimate, he traded before the market volatility!"

Uhhhhhh, yeah. That's the point. He was also recently revealed giving dire warnings to friends/donors while making rosey public statements. 

The insider trading is a bipartisan issue, too.

Edited by StrangeSox

11 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

His office's response was "no no this was totally legitimate, he traded before the market volatility!"

Uhhhhhh, yeah. That's the point. He was also recently revealed giving dire warnings to friends/donors while making rosey public statements. 

The insider trading is a bipartisan issue, too.

100%  This is one of those things that has peeved me for a long time.

This was the textbook definition of insider trading. 

11 hours ago, turnin' two said:

How about everyone pounding Greg, but just letting this go.

I love the people pounding me don't accept the fact it's OK to ask questions about the economy as well as health. I think I have the right to ASK you all for your opinions while believing it will not be good when 3/4s of the businesses here close.

In Lawrence, Kansas, which right now is deserted with the students GONE for good til August or whenever, every business in town except grocery stores and stores where u go in and get out quick are closed. A barber friend was on facebook yesterday saying he's wrecked emotionally because he has no money and he has no idea what he's going to do with the shop ordered closed. He has wife and kids. It's worth asking why he can't have one person come in at a time for haircuts. It's OK for me to wonder how we all can't get haircuts the next six weeks.

I'm getting slammed despite the fact I'm staying indoors and working from home ALMOST all of the day. I will venture out in search of coffee and maybe some groceries and maybe a meal because I am mentally challenged by being trapped inside like a rat.

Now I've been told by one business owner it's OK to eat outdoors on his outdoor tables or drink coffee outdoors as long as no people are in the vicinity.

I ask if it's necessary to shut everything down. Why? Because it's all relative. Buses are still running here. Planes are still flying out of KCI. Some stuff is still going on. Meanwhile if I try to sit down in a restaurant I get arrested. And no ... I do not trust the ONE politician in Kansas making all the decisions, the governor.

Edited by greg775

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I love the people pounding me don't accept the fact it's OK to ask questions about the economy as well as health. I think I have the right to ASK you all for your opinions while believing it will not be good when 3/4s of the businesses here close.

In Lawrence, Kansas, which right now is deserted with the students GONE for good til August or whenever, every business in town except grocery stores and stores where u go in and get out quick are closed. A barber friend was on facebook yesterday saying he's wrecked emotionally because he has no money and he has no idea what he's going to do with the shop ordered closed. He has wife and kids. It's worth asking why he can't have one person come in at a time for haircuts. It's OK for me to wonder how we all can't get haircuts the next six weeks.

I'm getting slammed despite the fact I'm staying indoors and working from home ALMOST all of the day. I will venture out in search of coffee and maybe some groceries and maybe a meal because I am mentally challenged by being trapped inside like a rat.

Now I've been told by one business owner it's OK to eat outdoors on his outdoor tables or drink coffee outdoors as long as no people are in the vicinity.

I ask if it's necessary to shut everything down. Why? Because it's all relative. Buses are still running here. Planes are still flying out of KCI. Some stuff is still going on. Meanwhile if I try to sit down in a restaurant I get arrested. And no ... I do not trust the ONE politician in Kansas making all the decisions, the governor.

10,000 people and counting are dead and you are pissed you can't get a haircut.  Sadly, if I didn't see a name attached to this post, this is exactly who I would have guessed made the post.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So it’s probably fair to assume that we’ve got roughly similar statistics now as in the testing numbers.

https://t.co/euaTv2JtIL?amp=1

Everyone running for office should be forced to sell out of their positions or a blind trust where no moves can be made during their term in office.

Eric running the Trump Organization while his father is president...certainly no advantages will accrue there.  Whether it’s nepotism or insider trading on both sides, the system was designed to be corrupted.

Which makes the college admissions scandal sort of a breath of fresh air...but there will always be Rick Singers and Lori Loughlins just waiting for their opportunity to game the system when things quiet down.

28 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Holy flurking schnit she’s married to the chair of the NYSE. The Chair of the NYSE and his Senator Wife traded on inside briefings about the virus.

It's amusing how prominent she's become in the past few months. I feel like almost nobody outside of trading knew who ICE was like two months ago, but ever since they got her the vacant senate seat in Georgia recently she's been all over the place. 

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/perdue-loeffler-among-senators-whose-stock-trading-during-coronavirus-raises-questions/YjEYsWqAVwZh52HTpl1EpL/

This has a blow by blow list of every single transaction.  Shorting/dumping energy companies that early?

At any rate, two for one deal in the state of GA with Perdue involved as well.   I would say pick Abrams, but betting money for Biden VP is on Klobuchar and Warren.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tucker-carlson-calls-for-senator-burr-to-resign-over-insider-trading-ahead-of-coronavirus-055910184.html
Burr’s really going to be nailed to the cross.

Colllins gone, Loeffler, Burr, Perdue, Inhofe, Ron Johnson (who was questioning the government “over-response” just a few days ago

Diane Feinstein, don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

Put them all in jail until the last coronavirus case is cleared in the US. 

https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/we-should-blow-up-the-bridges-coronavirus-leads-to-class-warfare-in-hamptons/

Greg, you’ll like this one...

Edited by caulfield12

9 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Put them all in jail until the last coronavirus case is cleared in the US. 

Senator Burr did a twitter thread attacking NPR for their reporting and saying that the briefing was more open to the public. During that thread...never once mentioned the stock sale.