caulfield12

COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

49 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'll be honest, I'm high risk, so I'm terrified to even order a pizza right now, at least until there are enough tests out there that I can believe no one there is ill. Right now I know for a fact they're only able to test people who have recent travel, so there are hundreds of people at my school alone who should have been tested but won't be. 

So, if you want people like me to spend money on anything other than milk..."Test test test test test". 

Then you dont need to order food. No no one is suggesting that you be forced to take out or delivery. But youre taking a risk when you to the store as well. We have to have some sort of ability to determine or own risks. 

Im no scientist, but Id guess there is less risk getting food delivered from 1 person who you dont touch, then going to a store where there are 25-50 people and who are frequented by hundreds.

Just now, Soxbadger said:

Then you dont need to order food. No no one is suggesting that you be forced to take out or delivery. But youre taking a risk when you to the store as well. We have to have some sort of ability to determine or own risks. 

Im no scientist, but Id guess there is less risk getting food delivered from 1 person who you dont touch, then going to a store where there are 25-50 people and who are frequented by hundreds.

I haven't yet figured out how to safely "Groceries" but I went nuts 2 weekends ago and spent 4x my normal amount because I knew that would be my worry. I'll run out of milk in about 3-4 days and fresh stuff a few days after that, I'm hoping in another week we at least have a better handle on the severity in this region?

I'll probably attempt a delivery service, but I honestly don't know.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I haven't yet figured out how to safely "Groceries" but I went nuts 2 weekends ago and spent 4x my normal amount because I knew that would be my worry. I'll run out of milk in about 3-4 days and fresh stuff a few days after that, I'm hoping in another week we at least have a better handle on the severity in this region?

I'll probably attempt a delivery service, but I honestly don't know.

There really isnt a safe way. I have been wearing my gloves when I go to Target/Jewel etc. I know that doesnt solve the problem, but it makes me cognizant of not touching my face. When I get home I try and leave my jacket etc near the door and then wash my hands. I also try and stay a safe distance from people. 

Again none of these are great or permanent solutions. We were planning to order food tonight to help local restaurants out.

I also left a message for the person who cuts my hair that if they call me Ill pay for my haircut even if I cant come in. 

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

There really isnt a safe way. I have been wearing my gloves when I go to Target/Jewel etc. I know that doesnt solve the problem, but it makes me cognizant of not touching my face. When I get home I try and leave my jacket etc near the door and then wash my hands. I also try and stay a safe distance from people. 

Again none of these are great or permanent solutions. We were planning to order food tonight to help local restaurants out.

I also left a message for the person who cuts my hair that if they call me Ill pay for my haircut even if I cant come in. 

We need tests so badly. That's it, that's the post. 

1 hour ago, turnin' two said:

While all of this may be true, it does not make what is happening in Italy (and elsewhere around the world) any less real.  

We have been in "social distancing" for what, a week for most of us?   We all need to suck it up and realize that if we ignore what is happening you could likely kill people.  Yeah, you may be fine, but you could easily transmit the disease to someone else.  

So here is what I fear. I think by the end of next week, the tone from many American's may change and there will be demand for an end date or light at the end of the tunnel. And I don't think that true end date will be possible to predict.  I want to make clear I'm not part of that group and I fully understand we have to do what we have to right now to end this thing. But too many people aren't going to share those feelings, and start taking a "Whatever happens, happens" attitude, and this thing doesn't go away, we don't stop the curve. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

So here is what I fear. I think by the end of next week, the tone from many American's may change and there will be demand for an end date or light at the end of the tunnel. And I don't think that true end date will be possible to predict.  I want to make clear I'm not part of that group and I fully understand we have to do what we have to right now to end this thing. But too many people aren't going to share those feelings, and start taking a "Whatever happens, happens" attitude, and this thing doesn't go away, we don't stop the curve. 

Even with extreme measures of total lockdowns, direct food deliveries, massive testing, arrests/prison sentences, 10-14 day emergency hospital constructions....ten full weeks to get through.

The area locked down here similar in size to California.

Dow down 19% on the week, worst numbers since 1987 for a single week of trading.

Edited by caulfield12

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

We need tests so badly. That's it, that's the post. 

I cant make tests, I cant make there be more tests. The only thing I can do is try to do my little part. And the hope is that if we all do our own little part that we can overcome whatever shortcomings there may be.

In the worst times, we each have to lead by example. Its not a perfect solution, its not even the best solution, but its what we have today. We have to stay optimistic, we have to do our best and we have to prepare for the worst. 

2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I cant make tests, I cant make there be more tests. The only thing I can do is try to do my little part. And the hope is that if we all do our own little part that we can overcome whatever shortcomings there may be.

In the worst times, we each have to lead by example. Its not a perfect solution, its not even the best solution, but its what we have today. We have to stay optimistic, we have to do our best and we have to prepare for the worst. 

Right now, respirators/ventilators/bed spaces remaining/ICU admissions....those are the key indicators, test results are kind of meaningless except for new areas without prior infections, which should theoretically have been preempted with surveillance testing to find canaries in coal mines.

12 minutes ago, Tony said:

Laura Ingraham literally tweeted today that she wants an end date.  We aren't dealing with rational thought 

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Right now, respirators/ventilators/bed spaces remaining/ICU admissions....those are the key indicators, test results are kind of meaningless except for new areas without prior infections, which should theoretically have been preempted with surveillance testing to find canaries in coal mines.

The only usefulness for tests is to 1) quarantine people who are infected and 2) identify those who have had it and are potentially now able to work safely and not catch it again.

Otherwise testing numbers are just numbers. 

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Laura Ingraham literally tweeted today that she wants an end date.  We aren't dealing with rational thought 

End date for her show.

We have what amounts to an upside down V curve for Fox viewers looming....and a more flattened curve for roughly 50% of the country.    

For those who were worried our pattern was following Italy's, have no fear, we are now passing them.  I updated the last four days based on the same website.

USvItaly.png

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

The only usefulness for tests is to 1) quarantine people who are infected and 2) identify those who have had it and are potentially now able to work safely and not catch it again.

Otherwise testing numbers are just numbers. 

4% is the international average at this point, roughly.   US running closer to 1.25-1.5, like South Korea.   Italy 5-6%.

We really won’t have a clue in the US until the peak 4-6 weeks from now, 3-5 if you guys are lucky and some of these more restrictive lockdowns work.   The big difference here is most of the problems were restricted to ONE area the size of California.  US, the problems are so spread out.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

For those who were worried our pattern was following Italy's, have no fear, we are now passing them.  I updated the last four days based on the same website.

USvItaly.png

Bah, you have to mentally shift ours an unknown distance because of our spectacular failure of testing. We're absolutely still uncovering cases that would have been identified a week ago in italy.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

That's EXACTLY the type of account I would assume that would come from, and I guess my point is I think you're going to start seeing that a lot in the coming days. I think it could get ugly. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

End date for her show.

We have what amounts to an upside down V curve for Fox viewers looming....and a more flattened curve for roughly 50% of the country.    

Viruses don't work like that. If 10% of the population decides they're not going to listen to these precautions then it explodes, you take it home to your relatives and contaminate health care workers, service workers, and surfaces all around you. The person carrying your Amazon order doesn't care whether you're a Laura Ingraham fan or not. This is why we're at "Shelter in place" in some of the better-run states already - that's the last step before the police are enforcing the quarantines. 

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

That's EXACTLY the type of account I would assume that would come from, and I guess my point is I think you're going to start seeing that a lot in the coming days. I think it could get ugly. 

I'm worried because while my parents, who are in their 60s and have both had respiratory issues, actively avoid media like that, they live in a retirement community. Many of their friends in the retirement community follow people like Ingraham. 

It takes 1 person to decide "fuck this, I'm done," to wipe out the entire community, including my parents, who are only leaving to get groceries.

• Like 1

There are some that claim there is too much alarmism. Yet, Mitch McConnell was joking about it at news conference, saying he had been through things like this before. No, Mitch, we haven't been through anything like this before. Alarmism? How about denial big time? This is no hoax. It is a tragedy of huge proportions.

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Viruses don't work like that. If 10% of the population decides they're not going to listen to these precautions then it explodes, you take it home to your relatives and contaminate health care workers, service workers, and surfaces all around you. The person carrying your Amazon order doesn't care whether you're a Laura Ingraham fan or not. This is why we're at "Shelter in place" in some of the better-run states already - that's the last step before the police are enforcing the quarantines. 

What I meant was the radically different reactions across the country are leading to a less desirable result overall...certainly nothing like South Korea, HK, Taiwan and Singapore.

And yeah, it’s virtually impossible to separate political infections in that 16 to early 30’s age group because significant numbers seemingly aren’t concerned about anyone beyond themselves as evidenced by oblivious public behaviors.  

That said, less than a week ago...the eight states that were providing basically no guidance or restrictions were so-called Trump red states.

30 minutes ago, Quin said:

I'm worried because while my parents, who are in their 60s and have both had respiratory issues, actively avoid media like that, they live in a retirement community. Many of their friends in the retirement community follow people like Ingraham. 

It takes 1 person to decide "fuck this, I'm done," to wipe out the entire community, including my parents, who are only leaving to get groceries.

Exactly. And my fear is more voices are going to appear with that message over the next 10 days. 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Exactly. And my fear is more voices are going to appear with that message over the next 10 days. 

gregs of the world, this is your chance!

34 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

There are some that claim there is too much alarmism. Yet, Mitch McConnell was joking about it at news conference, saying he had been through things like this before. No, Mitch, we haven't been through anything like this before. Alarmism? How about denial big time? This is no hoax. It is a tragedy of huge proportions.

Unless Mitch lived through 1918, no we haven't see anything like this.

27 minutes ago, Tony said:

In ten days everyone is going to be terrified to leave their house if it goes anything like italy

There is definitely a distinct lack of "end game" right now. Herd immunity needs to come one way or another, and it seems unlikely that you'd be able to keep Americans cooped up until a vaccine is developed (12-18 months is the time frame that I've seen speculated). It's hard to imagine the government getting the testing thing together, so I have to imagine this will have to get a whole lot worse before it gets better. Hope I'm wrong.