COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

My father recently tested positive for covid and he's been in the hospital. Has pneumonia in his lungs due to it. Doctors are trying to get his lungs back right. Please keep him in your prayers. This shit is not a joke. Been a few sleepless nights for me personally the past few days. 🙏

I hope for the best for your father. This must be a terrible time for you. You're right. This is no joke. Hopefully your father is on his way to recovery.

28 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

This would be for beyond the 100M doses already contracted, but that's still not good news for getting a vaccine out to everyone

Probably because they are more worried about getting profits out of it versus getting it to people, so they were exploring other options.

3 hours ago, SoxAce said:

My father recently tested positive for covid and he's been in the hospital. Has pneumonia in his lungs due to it. Doctors are trying to get his lungs back right. Please keep him in your prayers. This shit is not a joke. Been a few sleepless nights for me personally the past few days. 🙏

Thoughts and prayers with your dad, you and your whole family. Wishing him a speedy recovery!!! 

24 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Or it is because the production is already spoken for by other government contracts until June

Probably because the President was shopping for a better personal deal, so he didn't want to make a big commitment until he found that offer. 

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Probably because they are more worried about getting profits out of it versus getting it to people, so they were exploring other options.

I’m guessing it actually has to do with logistics, because the Pfizer vaccine needs special refrigeration. Even 50 million doses is probably beyond our distribution capacity. So we’ll use this company’s stuff for high density urban areas and depend on other companies like Moderna for more logistically challenging areas.

24 minutes ago, Danny Dravot said:

I’m guessing it actually has to do with logistics, because the Pfizer vaccine needs special refrigeration. Even 50 million doses is probably beyond our distribution capacity. So we’ll use this company’s stuff for high density urban areas and depend on other companies like Moderna for more logistically challenging areas.

I mean, we've just go so much else going on right?

1 hour ago, Danny Dravot said:

Considering he was already trying to buy a vaccination early on, I kind of doubt it.  No other reason to pass on capacity.

11 hours ago, Danny Dravot said:

Everything I've seen is that it's expensive but it's a solved problem. Just lots of dry ice.

Some good news:

The Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine provides pretty good immunity 14 days after the first dose. So if you forget to get your second dose or it's delayed for some reason, you still have pretty robust protection. Still better to get the second shot and wait another week or two to get up to that 95% level, of course.

Jenna Ellis has coronavirus.  And she was at a big party Friday at the White House. Yet another 1600 Pensylvania  Super Spreader Event.

The sad thing is all these Trump people will get access to the antibodies treatment that seems to work really well. The same people whose failure to wear a mask or at least encourage others to wear one and has probably cost lives in the 6 figures get a sort of get out of jail free card while their cult members suffer and die.

At least Chris Christie had some regret.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

Today the FDA released Pfizer’s Phase III vaccine trial data. This is big, as this is the first time we, scientists, have seen the data. Pfizer’s report was 92 pages long and the FDA report was 53 pages long. And, yes, I read it all. Here are your cliff notes…

Things are looking good. Well, not just good, they are looking great. This trial was as clean as it can get. There is nothing (big) we didn’t expect. 

Efficacy.

• We see benefit starting 14 days after the first dose (see Figure). This makes sense because it takes about 2 weeks for the immune system to make sufficient antibody protection after vaccination.

• After the first dose, efficacy was 52%. This is a fantastic for a single dose. 

• After your second dose (3 weeks later), efficacy is 95%. We are confident that efficacy ranges from 90-98%. 

• Efficacy doesn’t meaningfully differ by age, race/ethnicity, or comorbidity. 

Adverse events. 

• Overall, the Pfizer vaccination gives more adverse events than the flu vaccination but less than the shingles vaccine.

• The most common solicited adverse reaction (i.e. what we were expecting) were mild to moderate: injection site reactions (84.1%), fatigue (62.9%), headache (55.1%), muscle pain (38.3%), chills (31.9%), joint pain (23.6%), fever (14.2%)

• The chance of getting a severe adverse event was low (0.5%). A severe event is more likely in the second dose than the first and were less frequent among older adults compared to younger participants. 

• An unsolicited (i.e. not expected) adverse event that came up more in the vaccine group was swollen lymph nodes (lymphadenopathy). 64 people in the vaccine group compared to 6 people in the placebo group. This could be related to the vaccine. 

• There were 4 people in the vaccine group with Bell’s palsy (compared to 0 in the placebo group). But this isn’t much of a concern because it reflects the same rate of Bell’s palsy in the general population. Something to keep an eye on

• 6 people died during the trial. Deaths were NOT related to the vaccine. Mostly related to heart attacks. 

There are a few unknowns. From this study, we do not know…

• Duration of protection

• Effectiveness against transmission

• Effectiveness or safety among certain high-risk populations, such as children less than 16 years of age, pregnant and lactating individuals, and immunocompromised individuals. There were just not enough people in the study to make meaningful conclusions. This likely means that the FDA will not approve emergency use for these populations. We will know more on Thursday.

• Benefits of individuals with prior COVID19 infection. But, given there is documented reinfection, the FDA stated that previously infected by people could benefit from vaccination. 

Translation: This vaccine will likely be approved on Thursday. Which, by the way, will be streaming live. An event that will likely go down in history, albeit a bit boring, scientific, and long.

https://www.facebook.com/101805971467321/posts/222007239447193/ 

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.com/phase-iii-data/?fbclid=IwAR3jlgtUuu3ydgU80kLwFI0q6EnVBynKl1lfWSPLZF9utjfK7Em8TA-YFws

• Like 1

Trump is lying the end. He has made outright false and misleading statements regarding the virus to make himself look good. He can't go fast enough. The public needs to be informed about the vaccine. Just like they needed to be informed about the virus before.