Jump to content
caulfield12

COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

During the attack on the Capitol, GOP congressmen refused to wear masks even though they were in a crowded room. They smugly thought they were making a political statement. Now two Democratic congresspersons have Covid. The GOP record on handling this crisis is abysmal and ignorant. Not wearing a mask is not a political statement. It is an act of total stupidity, not to mention misplaced arrogance.

This is where someone should be able to be charged with a crime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is where someone should be able to be charged with a crime.

Or at the very least resign right along with Donald Trump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Quin said:

Good. 

Blows my mind that people are refusing shots, but hey, we let anti-vaxxers get solid footholds on the internet the past few years.

I'm certain there is overlap but I understand people not buying a 2021 F150 because it's the first model year and I understand people being cautious about what they inject into their bodies. 

I'm not waiting but I know a couple people who are planning on waiting a couple months before getting the vaccine. Young,  healthy,  isolated work from home lifestyle living in a rural area and it doesn't seem totally crazy.

It blows my mind that doctors and nurses are refusing.  Which then circles back to my friends deciding to wait.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Texsox said:

I'm certain there is overlap but I understand people not buying a 2021 F150 because it's the first model year and I understand people being cautious about what they inject into their bodies. 

I'm not waiting but I know a couple people who are planning on waiting a couple months before getting the vaccine. Young,  healthy,  isolated work from home lifestyle living in a rural area and it doesn't seem totally crazy.

It blows my mind that doctors and nurses are refusing.  Which then circles back to my friends deciding to wait.  

 

And yet people in the general public might gladly take it but can’t because they aren’t essential workers.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Beast said:

And yet people in the general public might gladly take it but can’t because they aren’t essential workers.

Exactly. And to be fair,  they are the general public and probably among the last to get it anyway. 

I'm in a situation with an underlying medical condition where they know the vaccine will not be as effective for me as others.  Plus,  there is also a slightly heightened risk of an adverse reaction. Do I elbow my way to the front as a teacher and in theory get the vaccine instead of someone who we know it was have greater efficiency. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes? Even if it was only 50% efficacy, that's still much better than 0% efficacy you have right now.

People with underlying medical conditions are in the first tier because of their heightened risk of severe illness or death if they develop COVID. I'm not aware of any data to date that linked reduced vaccine efficacy to specific underlying medical conditions. There wouldn't have been enough people with enough of the same underlying conditions in the trials to date to really know that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my parents & in-laws set-up to get their first doe of the vaccine tomorrow and thursday, respectively.  I am sure it will be chaos at the actual site - but feels like progress.  Counting down the days until I am eligible (my wife was already eligible and got her first dose about a week ago - although no one really knows yet how she is supposed to get her 2nd dose).  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Got my parents & in-laws set-up to get their first doe of the vaccine tomorrow and thursday, respectively.  I am sure it will be chaos at the actual site - but feels like progress.  Counting down the days until I am eligible (my wife was already eligible and got her first dose about a week ago - although no one really knows yet how she is supposed to get her 2nd dose).  

How were you able to get them set up? If they are over a certain age do they get priority? I'm wondering for my parents

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ron883 said:

How were you able to get them set up? If they are over a certain age do they get priority? I'm wondering for my parents

I assume each state, let alone county is different. But CA opened it up yesterday to 65 and older (plus I think anyone with higher risk or certain risk factors). There was a website you went on to register and sign-up at a time. CA has basically set-up these super testing sites all across the state.  

In Orange County - where I live, they have in various places but are going to have at least 5 or 6 super pod sites - one of which is going to be at Disneyland and the rumor is another one will be at Knotts Berry Farm (another large theme park that is closed due to CoronaVirus).

San Diego and LA for example are using the Padres/Dodger stadium.  My wife was volunteering last week to give out the shots at a local first responder agency - lines were long but was great to see shots starting to get into people's arm.  At that point in time - it was only those registered on the priority 1A list (not sure if that is a federal prioritization or a state).  

My wife got Moderna and first shot was no different than a flu shot (which is a good thing). Albeit - I think most of the reports say the 2nd shot is the one that hits a bit harder than the first.  Not sure what shot my parents/in-laws will get.  

Ron - I imagine the local areas should have info out there.  Everything we did was online login and than using an App. I did for my parents/in-laws - because they wouldn't have had a clue how to use an app.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Texsox said:

Exactly. And to be fair,  they are the general public and probably among the last to get it anyway. 

I'm in a situation with an underlying medical condition where they know the vaccine will not be as effective for me as others.  Plus,  there is also a slightly heightened risk of an adverse reaction. Do I elbow my way to the front as a teacher and in theory get the vaccine instead of someone who we know it was have greater efficiency. 

The answer to this is one I'm waiting on also. As soon as my group is allowed, I have to contact my Dr. and ask what to do. I'm on medication that will suppress my immune system, so the answer may be wait a few weeks for testing to be done on groups like me, it may be to skip a dose of that medication for each vaccine dose and schedule injections around that, or it may be "Get your A** there as soon as you can because you're one of the ones this could kill". We're supposed to be getting updates on this in January.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And anyone that is in a situation with multiple specialists may receive conflicting advice from their doctors. My cardiologist told me fight to be first. My oncologist was much more cautious.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The superintendent for our school district just sent out an appeal for parents to keep their kids home for the next two weeks are we are experiencing another surge. He was really clear that we are open for students and if your child needs to be at school we're open and here, but if they can be successful at home, keep them home.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Texsox said:

Exactly. And to be fair,  they are the general public and probably among the last to get it anyway. 

I'm in a situation with an underlying medical condition where they know the vaccine will not be as effective for me as others.  Plus,  there is also a slightly heightened risk of an adverse reaction. Do I elbow my way to the front as a teacher and in theory get the vaccine instead of someone who we know it was have greater efficiency. 

Yes, take it. Use your job to protect yourself at work and do everything you can to stay safe afterwards given your medical condition.

What I didn’t tell you all last week is that we had to take my two month old son to get tested for COVID because her dad tested positive. He was negative, but it was scary.

My parents are 65 and 64 and are in Florida, but only my dad could get the vaccine in Florida because my mom is technically an Illinois resident. Neither is an essential worker. My wife is on leave for the rest of the school year but is a teacher, my brother and sister work in health care and in dentistry, my other siblings are teachers and I work in insurance (even though I have been on paid family leave for the first two weeks of January) so they will get it, but I won’t yet. I work at home and have no medical conditions, but I want the vaccine and get a little pissed off when people who should be getting it since they are eligible to do so and work with people aren’t getting it for whatever reason, especially when I want to get it to protect my family.

I would also add that I hope that those of you who have medical conditions continue to stay safe and that your providers allow you to get the vaccines when it is safe for you to do so.

Edited by The Beast
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatshisname was right about the deadly pandemic hardly being mentioned after the election in spite of 4000+ deaths a day.  And all  it took was an armed insurrection.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far we have not seen a spread inside any of our schools. We did have a group of science teachers that went to lunch together on a staff development day and all eight tested positive a week later. We are a large district with over 100,000 students utilizing a hybrid schedule and most students have elected virtual learning. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Texsox said:

So far we have not seen a spread inside any of our schools. We did have a group of science teachers that went to lunch together on a staff development day and all eight tested positive a week later. We are a large district with over 100,000 students utilizing a hybrid schedule and most students have elected virtual learning. 

 

I think y’all have convinced me that with COVID classic, if you have 3 to 5 students in a room and you have most people masked, your district is going to avoid most big infection events. 

However, now that the marketing geniuses have come up with New COVID, we aren’t sure those rules hold any more. There were hints that the B117 variant was spreading much more easily amongst British youth before their country entered a lockdown, and that variant is absolutely loose in the Us and spreading. If it is more easily transmitted and producing more symptoms among the youth, this could be a very different semester from the fall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lt's been a month of vaccines and I am extremely underwhelmed by the data provided. I would hope the state and local governments have some idea of their capacity to give out vaccines on a daily basis, along with the % of its capacity it had used. If our actual supply is yet to be a problem, it would be good to know when they have introduced new locations capable of vaccinating more, and how much they have been dosing vs. what they are capable of dosing.

Because % administered is noisy and not at all helpful. All we can do is look at trends, but no idea when jumps are possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I think y’all have convinced me that with COVID classic, if you have 3 to 5 students in a room and you have most people masked, your district is going to avoid most big infection events. 

However, now that the marketing geniuses have come up with New COVID, we aren’t sure those rules hold any more. There were hints that the B117 variant was spreading much more easily amongst British youth before their country entered a lockdown, and that variant is absolutely loose in the Us and spreading. If it is more easily transmitted and producing more symptoms among the youth, this could be a very different semester from the fall.

I believe the best course of action is regular evaluation and change. We're very strict with masks,  cleaning, hand sanitizing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

one of those things where had a relief package passed in october this would have already been readied. But I still think Illinois/locales could have stood this up faster anyway. We all knew in october a vaccine was close, mass vaccination plans should have been underway. It's like they just started when they heard they were getting vaccine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The local government building my FIL runs is going to be a county vaccine clinic as soon as next Friday. Really hope they start ramping the pace of everything up. We're at 5-10% of the daily vaccinations we need to be at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bmags said:

 

one of those things where had a relief package passed in october this would have already been readied. But I still think Illinois/locales could have stood this up faster anyway. We all knew in october a vaccine was close, mass vaccination plans should have been underway. It's like they just started when they heard they were getting vaccine.

Illinois better be using McCormick Place for vaccinations given the investment it put into the place for COVID.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Beast said:

Illinois better be using McCormick Place for vaccinations given the investment it put into the place for COVID.

These 6 are all city colleges. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Beast said:

Illinois better be using McCormick Place for vaccinations given the investment it put into the place for COVID.

San Antonio is using the Alamo Dome for vaccinations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×