COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

This crisis is probably the biggest crisis of the western world since the end of the cold war, the finance crisis and Islamic terrorism is nothing against that.

In the end it will cause hundreds of thousands of deaths and a worldwide recession that is worse than any recession in the last 50 years.

Unfortunately people realized it too late, just two weeks ago people still were partying and not taking it seriously and now it has hit them hard.

Some have suggested to continue work and just let the old people die to prevent the recession but this is not doable even if you accept the deaths because there are not enough ICU beds in hospitals to treat all the people and if you don't shut down there us no space to treat other patients either and health care would collapse. Thus unfortunately there is no alternative to lockdown which will cause a recession of course.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Not to make this political, but didn’t Trump & Fox News originally claim this virus was a hoax and/or politically motivated to make him look bad? Now he’s talking about how quickly, bigly, and greatly he reacted? 

So, which is it? A true pandemic or a hoax?

Trump just switches what he says every day, can't give too much on his words.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

And I don’t think nearly enough people “get it” 

Wtf? There’s a rattlesnake ridge in Washington that I feature in my natural hazards class due to an actively moving slump landslide. That can’t be the same one right?

8 hours ago, Heads22 said:

greg,

What's the acceptable amount of deaths for you?

Why am I the bad guy here? I'm basically obeying all the rules. I just ask questions. Guess what, sir. ... The buses are still running here. The grocery stores are packed. Think about how one grocery sacker is in contact with people all day and could be infecting people. ... You are still allowed to walk outside and go into establishments to order food and get out. ... My point is we can restrict movement a lot and are restricting movement a lot, but if you totally force us to stay inside there will eventually be death and destruction and unrest in the streets because people are living paycheck to paycheck and soon will have no food and/or be homeless.

I am not the bad guy. I have come into contact with almost no human beings this past week except when shopping which we are allowed to do lest we die of starvation. I have hoarded nothing. I probably have enough food to last 10 days maybe. The bad guys are the kids who pack the beaches and packed the bars for St. Paddy Day fun in Chicago, pissing off government officials who need to relax the isolation just a little bit!! The bad guys are the ones with 70 rolls of toilet paper and people who won't stop buying it until they have enough for a full year.

Why am I the bad guy here?? Peace to all and may the world overcome this.

Edited by greg775

21 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Why am I the bad guy here? I'm basically obeying all the rules. I just ask questions. Guess what, sir. ... The buses are still running here. The grocery stores are packed. Think about how one grocery sacker is in contact with people all day and could be infecting people. ... You are still allowed to walk outside and go into establishments to order food and get out. ... My point is we can restrict movement a lot and are restricting movement a lot, but if you totally force us to stay inside there will eventually be death and destruction and unrest in the streets because people are living paycheck to paycheck and soon will have no food and/or be homeless.

I am not the bad guy. I have come into contact with almost no human beings this past week except when shopping which we are allowed to do lest we die of starvation. I have hoarded nothing. I probably have enough food to last 10 days maybe. The bad guys are the kids who pack the beaches and packed the bars for St. Paddy Day fun in Chicago, pissing off government officials who need to relax the isolation just a little bit!! The bad guys are the ones with 70 rolls of toilet paper and people who won't stop buying it until they have enough for a full year.

Why am I the bad guy here?? Peace to all and may the world overcome this.

You're not  a bad guy. We're all doing the best we can. I called up the person who cuts my hair and told them if they need to, call me and they can charge me for a haircut and theyll owe me one in the future.

In some way your barber post made me think to do it.

We have to all work together so that there is a light on the otherside.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soxbadger said:

You're not  a bad guy. We're all doing the best we can. I called up the person who cuts my hair and told them if they need to, call me and they can charge me for a haircut and theyll owe me one in the future.

In some way your barber post made me think to do it.

We have to all work together so that there is a light on the otherside.

All that is great. That’s what good people are doing.

However, if you are going to a beach, or hanging out on park benches, or actually going to your barber or to the last open sit down restaurant right now...

That would make you a bad person.

We know enough to say that. If you are doing things that enhance the risk of transmission you are trying to murder people. You could kill dozens. You are trying to be a murderer. If you tell your barber you need that haircut now or you insist on sitting down at Panera Bread you are playing Russian Roulette with everyone around you.

If I put one bullet in a revolver and held it to the head of whoever is next to me and pulled the trigger because I feel good if I do so... I would be a bad person.

Do what you need to do to support your neighbors, but if you increase the risk of transmission by coming into contact with them or things they touch, you are trying to kill them.

It feels weird to be at home on a computer. In fact I needed to dust one off and add a new HD (SSD are amazing). I'm back to working from home after about a decade of being in a classroom. It brings back great memories of the early days here and the dozen or so posters who would be active weekday days.

I'm watching this unfold both as an old guy with health concerns and a lot of elderly relatives and as a teacher of high school seniors.  The parallels I have to this mid year possible permanent separation from my students were the eighth grade migrant students I taught. This is about the time of year that they would, at best, say goodbye or, at worst, just drop off my roster. Sometimes they had little warning as their employers (yes at 14 or 15) would call and say we need your family. Sometimes their parents found a new orchard or farm to work for the season and they would be dealing with even more uncertainty. One thing was always the same. The feeling they were leaving too soon. We had unfinished business. 

I pray each day that our class of 2020 doesn't leave unfinished business. Prom dresses never worn. Mortar boards not flung in the air. State basketball championship  tantalizingly close (we're in the Final 4 for Texas 6A). A chance in every activity to challenge ourselves against the rest of the state.

I'm also reading notes from my students. They are the overworked employees at HEB and Walmart trying to keep shelves stocked and they are the service workers who lost their jobs. Plus they are typically the oldest still living at home. That makes them the babysitters, tutors, shoppers, and drivers while trying to hang onto that last bit of childhood -- being a high school student. 

Yesterday at 2:00 pm  I posted a short survey in my online classroom and about a third of my students completed it within an hour. When people talk about how lazy this generation is, I want to scream. These students are ready for this. They have trained hours each day to be on line, to communicate, to learn.

I hope I can keep up with them.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Texsox said:

It feels weird to be at home on a computer. In fact I needed to dust one off and add a new HD (SSD are amazing). I'm back to working from home after about a decade of being in a classroom. It brings back great memories of the early days here and the dozen or so posters who would be active weekday days.

I'm watching this unfold both as an old guy with health concerns and a lot of elderly relatives and as a teacher of high school seniors.  The parallels I have to this mid year possible permanent separation from my students were the eighth grade migrant students I taught. This is about the time of year that they would, at best, say goodbye or, at worst, just drop off my roster. Sometimes they had little warning as their employers (yes at 14 or 15) would call and say we need your family. Sometimes their parents found a new orchard or farm to work for the season and they would be dealing with even more uncertainty. One thing was always the same. The feeling they were leaving too soon. We had unfinished business. 

I pray each day that our class of 2020 doesn't leave unfinished business. Prom dresses never worn. Mortar boards not flung in the air. State basketball championship  tantalizingly close (we're in the Final 4 for Texas 6A). A chance in every activity to challenge ourselves against the rest of the state.

I'm also reading notes from my students. They are the overworked employees at HEB and Walmart trying to keep shelves stocked and they are the service workers who lost their jobs. Plus they are typically the oldest still living at home. That makes them the babysitters, tutors, shoppers, and drivers while trying to hang onto that last bit of childhood -- being a high school student. 

Yesterday at 2:00 pm  I posted a short survey in my online classroom and about a third of my students completed it within an hour. When people talk about how lazy this generation is, I want to scream. These students are ready for this. They have trained hours each day to be on line, to communicate, to learn.

I hope I can keep up with them.

We got an SSD for Black Friday.  I am blown away by how much faster these things are.  Windows updates are done in seconds.

Basically my son build this one in 2012 with the best AMD processor and graphics card available. Upgraded a couple things though the years then gave it to me. I replaced the power supply and put in a new Samsung SSD and this is perfect for Google Classroom stuff. 

How's homeschooling going? You're better prepared than most people. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tony said:

Things can change, but going off the info we have now, I don’t think we get a baseball season this year. 

I'm starting to feel like best case might be sporting events in front of no fans, starting this fall.

Has the NBA worked out a plan to pay or not pay salaries?  When it comes down to it, they’ll realize empty stadiums but something to divert our attention on t.v. are far better than nothing at all, especially with the dearth of new t.v. and movie programming. 

19 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Has the NBA worked out a plan to pay or not pay salaries?  When it comes down to it, they’ll realize empty stadiums but something to divert our attention on t.v. are far better than nothing at all, especially with the dearth of new t.v. and movie programming. 

Until more is known about the progression of this virus and how contagious people are when, there's a huge liability risk even trying something with no fans. They already have a bunch of known cases around the league and almost certainly transmission by Gobert during games. What happens if one of their 60 or 70 year old coaches, or maybe even one of the famous players, dies? 

6 hours ago, Texsox said:

Basically my son build this one in 2012 with the best AMD processor and graphics card available. Upgraded a couple things though the years then gave it to me. I replaced the power supply and put in a new Samsung SSD and this is perfect for Google Classroom stuff. 

How's homeschooling going? You're better prepared than most people. 

About as good as can be expected.  Being in the lake effect snow belt they put together e-learning a couple of years ago so that if we couldn't get to school, they could still do a school day from home.  It has come in handy so far.