Jump to content
caulfield12

COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

If anyone out there gets one of the worth-their-weight-in-gold tests somehow, please do not go to the gym while awaiting your results. 

 

 

Greg, are you paying attention? Asymptomatic, out running around potentially infecting other people for no good reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Texsox said:

At this point whatever dire prediction anyone comes up seems possible. 

At some point in the next couple weeks, we're going to have to have the conversation I brought up a week or two ago - whether these short term efforts are going to end up making things worse in the long term. 50% unemployment? Everyone on the government payroll? Economic shutdown until June? We're going to turn into a true nanny/socialist state with no hope of going back...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which is the extreme on one side. On the other extreme side is widespread starvation, looting, murders as people lose hope. 

Let's hope we find a middle ground. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

At some point in the next couple weeks, we're going to have to have the conversation I brought up a week or two ago - whether these short term efforts are going to end up making things worse in the long term. 50% unemployment? Everyone on the government payroll? Economic shutdown until June? We're going to turn into a true nanny/socialist state with no hope of going back...

Easy, you’re going to get Jack Parkman excited.  🤑

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Which is the extreme on one side. On the other extreme side is widespread starvation, looting, murders as people lose hope. 

Let's hope we find a middle ground. 

I agree!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of the aid that may or may not pass I'm hoping for some sort of substantial student loan forgiveness. The last I read was $10,000 per student. I like it because the hardest hit workers will be the 25 to 35 year olds who owe the most. The economy will need them to recover the fastest. That revives housing and a host of other industries while strengthening families.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/coronavirus-upends-nation-americans-lives-changed-pandemic-poll/story?id=69696172
 

One thing is clear...if we are too afraid of a country to actually FORCE private/public corporations to manufacture masks, respirators, ventilators, PPE, etc., then many more thousands of Americans will eventually die.

There’s a 12 year old currently fighting for her life on a ventilator.


Meanwhile, Cambridge International Exams (A Levels) are still on internationally...even though UK students will be able to rely on predicted scores from teachers for univ admissions. Our students haven’t seen each other in person once since January 8th or 9th. IB just cancelled worldwide last night.  AP is going to 45 minute online or take home exams.

We have 14 kids with conditional offers to Oxford and Cambridge.  Ten now don’t have to take exams, the other four are staring those A2 exams in the face with no guidance.   It’s possible we will have to give exams across summer vacation, meaning we will be going from August, 2019 to Spring Festival 2021 without a major holiday.  

Now that doesn’t sound so terrible if you’re not a teacher...just a difficult situation if you’re abroad.  Teachers coming back from UK, Thailand, Vietnam, Australia are facing two week quarantines.  I can’t book a flight back to US without knowing summer schedule...and my mom can’t receive visitors in her nursing home and also trying to sell her house in the middle of this crisis seems ill-advised at best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Of the aid that may or may not pass I'm hoping for some sort of substantial student loan forgiveness. The last I read was $10,000 per student. I like it because the hardest hit workers will be the 25 to 35 year olds who owe the most. The economy will need them to recover the fastest. That revives housing and a host of other industries while strengthening families.  

But how do you do it fairly?  Based on total loan amount?  Ability to repay?  Cost of living in their area?   How can you reconcile that with not helping people similarly back in 2008/09?  

Or do we just go ahead with free community college, reduced or free tuition to state schools, vouchers for private schools? 

On the campaign trail, debt forgiveness was treated with perhaps the most derision by everyone in the US over age 35.  Those Americans, many on fixed or limited incomes, are likewise scared to death about Medicare and Social Security cuts down the line to pay for all this.  They wonder why corporations and the Top 10% are paying much less percentage wise in taxes compared to the middle class. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Which is the extreme on one side. On the other extreme side is widespread starvation, looting, murders as people lose hope. 

Let's hope we find a middle ground. 

Please take a look at all Italy’s attempts to find a middle ground. It killed thousands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

But how do you do it fairly?  Based on total loan amount?  Ability to repay?  Cost of living in their area?   How can you reconcile that with not helping people similarly back in 2008/09?  

Or do we just go ahead with free community college, reduced or free tuition to state schools, vouchers for private schools? 

On the campaign trail, debt forgiveness was treated with perhaps the most derision by everyone in the US over age 35.  Those Americans, many on fixed or limited incomes, are likewise scared to death about Medicare and Social Security cuts down the line to pay for all this.  They wonder why corporations and the Top 10% are paying much less percentage wise in taxes compared to the middle class. 

I took out zero student loans.

 

F*** fairness. Get us through this alive and without everyone in the country bankrupt. Figure out fairness later.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/health/coronavirus-symptoms-smell-taste.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

Very interesting. Lost of smell and/or taste seem to be the first symptom to appear in otherwise healthy people infected with the virus.

I don’t know about other people but this happens to me every time I get sick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jenksismyhero said:

At some point in the next couple weeks, we're going to have to have the conversation I brought up a week or two ago - whether these short term efforts are going to end up making things worse in the long term. 50% unemployment? Everyone on the government payroll? Economic shutdown until June? We're going to turn into a true nanny/socialist state with no hope of going back...

It's that or millions die so

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I don’t know about other people but this happens to me every time I get sick.

As do I if my sinuses get congested. The difference in reported cases is that people had clear sinuses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF. AT THE END OF THE 15 DAY PERIOD, WE WILL MAKE A DECISION AS TO WHICH WAY WE WANT TO GO!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 23, 2020

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unusual times with an unusual leader. What can you even say? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This tweet from nearly 4 years ago is being blown up this morning. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SoxAce said:

This tweet from nearly 4 years ago is being blown up this morning. 

 

But we hated her so much even if we die it was worth it.

On a brighter note yoyo is playing PS 4 online with people if that is your thing. Peace.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Please take a look at all Italy’s attempts to find a middle ground. It killed thousands.

Italy came up with $28B for mostly guaranteed loans for businesses and direct aid to out of work employees. I'm not following how that killed thousands. Was there some other stimulus/bail out they needed to do and didn't? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Italy came up with $28B for mostly guaranteed loans for businesses and direct aid to out of work employees. I'm not following how that killed thousands. Was there some other stimulus/bail out they needed to do and didn't? 

https://news.yahoo.com/why-italy-coronavirus-death-toll-162100030.html
 

Italy and Spain have struggled because they are more social and thought the herd immunity (see UK) would be effective alone, without extensive testing...until they realized their health care system would be overrun.   Now they need to ask for US troops to enforce the quarantine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

This tweet from nearly 4 years ago is being blown up this morning. 

 

Yeah, Hillary is definitely one to speak on this subject (see Benghazi).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yeah, Hillary is definitely one to speak on this subject (see Benghazi).

Well, we could do this with pretty much every president.  Bay of Pigs.  Cuban Missile Crisis.

Or we could dredge up all the criticisms of the Ebola crisis from 2014.

In the end, the people will judge in November.   

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×