caulfield12

COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

Just now, Texsox said:

I'm usually not a conspiracy theory, paranoid type but I wonder how much our government is not telling us to avoid bigger panics. Probably they aren't holding anything back but . . .

We will tell you what you need to know. Word is that business lobbyists do not want the Defense Production Act to be invoked. Certain forces want business as usual asap. 

28 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-ever-away-heres-one-094824995.html
This is from the Dr. Tony Fauci of the WHO, lots of great information and predictions/forecasts...

It's not Tony Fauci, it's Dr. Bruce Aylward from the WHO. Fauci works for NIH. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

With two teachers here trying to work from home we needed to create two spaces. Plus I created a video or audio recording space that my wife ignores. I wanted to have a space with a nice background.

I had multiple doctor appointments scheduled over the next few weeks and it's interesting how they are now trying to limit unnecessary appointments. Makes me wonder why they were so insistent on these follow up visits when they first scheduled them. My ophthalmologist wants to see me twice a year or will not renew my prescriptions -  until now. How much time and money have I wasted?

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's not Tony Fauci, it's Dr. Bruce Aylward from the WHO. Fauci works for NIH. 

You didn’t read carefully.

He has been criticized for being too complimentary of China, but one of the true experts in the world.   

Just now, caulfield12 said:

You didn’t read carefully.

He has been criticized for being too complimentary of China, but one of the true experts in the world.   

I read carefully, and word for word. Nowhere in that article does it mention Dr. Fauci. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, pcq said:

We will tell you what you need to know. Word is that business lobbyists do not want the Defense Production Act to be invoked. Certain forces want business as usual asap. 

We are not Venezuela or Cuba or Sandanistas!

Of course, the reality is many northern European countries are nationalized in various industries, and China has the best record of bringing people out of poverty to middle class in the last fifty years.  Singapore, yet another example.

Nobody wants to have that more nuanced conversation.  Too complicated.

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I read carefully, and word for word. Nowhere in that article does it mention Dr. Fauci. 

This is from the Dr. Tony Fauci of the WHO (meaning corresponding equivalent, since few know him yet.)

• Like 1

Reading the tea leaves, I feel like this is how the next 15 days are going to shake out, and it's going to get way more political than it already has. Trump is getting a tremendous amount of pressure from CEO's, business owners and his friends at Fox that a date needs to be given when businesses will be back open, and people can resume living their lives. Medical professionals will say this isn't the right idea or plan, but those that support Trump will follow his lead. The question is what governors will do and how they follow suit. But if half the country isn't practicing social distancing, I don't know how this thing ends. Are we just going to get to a point where you just have to "risk it" when you go out, hope for the best while they work for a vaccine? 

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

Reading the tea leaves, I feel like this is how the next 15 days are going to shake out, and it's going to get way more political than it already has. Trump is getting a tremendous amount of pressure from CEO's, business owners and his friends at Fox that a date needs to be given when businesses will be back open, and people can resume living their lives. Medical professionals will say this isn't the right idea or plan, but those that support Trump will follow his lead. The question is what governors will do and how they follow suit. But if half the country isn't practicing social distancing, I don't know how this thing ends. Are we just going to get to a point where you just have to "risk it" when you go out, hope for the best while they work for a vaccine? 

I think the end result is going to be nightmarish images from medical facilities in the next week or two, to the point where politicians  reach the point mayors have in Italy of threatening people with flamethrowers. 

31 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

This is from the Dr. Tony Fauci of the WHO (meaning corresponding equivalent, since few know him yet.)

Not in the link I clicked on. Are you sure you sent me the right link? 

In that link they have a conversation with Dr. Bruce Aylward. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Caulfield is being cute with his wording.  "The" Tony Fauci of the WHO = the WHO equivalent of Tony Fauci

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Caulfield is being cute with his wording.  "The" Tony Fauci of the WHO = the WHO equivalent of Tony Fauci

I took it literally. My bad. Thanks. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

What I was saying was that Bruce Aylward is the WHO’s version of Tony Fauci...to put it in proper perspective.

9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Me, cute?  I guess I need to be more literal next time and spell it out explicitly.

“A rapidly escalating outbreak has plateaued, and come down faster than would have been expected. Back of the envelope, it's hundreds of thousands of people in China that did not get Covid-19 because of this aggressive response.”  NY Times

Dr. Aylward didn’t mean the draconian measures here, people being locked inside apartments just for being suspected of being ill, closing pharmacies to force lots of people who had other health problems into hospitals and likely infected, bribing people to turn sick people into authorities, 40000 person banquets with 12000+ shared dishes weeks after they knew there was a serious problem, command structure which caused local officials to wait for Beijing to decide after keeping it quiet for weeks, whistle blowing doctors and reporters disappeared or reprimanded...there are 50 things I could point out that  China messed up that made things much worse.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

So.. where is Dr Fauci? Normally I wouldn't make a thing of him being or not being at a given daily confab, except this comes the day after he made public statements about Trump's incorrect statements. Not sure I believe that is a coincidence.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

So.. where is Dr Fauci? Normally I wouldn't make a thing of him being or not being at a given daily confab, except this comes the day after he made public statements about Trump's incorrect statements. Not sure I believe that is a coincidence.

No way it's a coincidence. 

Trump has now brought up the flu multiple times this press conference, and just mentioned how many people die in car accidents every year, and we don't just stop driving our cars. The downplaying of this has now begun.

• Like 2

Just now, Tony said:

No way it's a coincidence. 

Trump has now brought up the flu multiple times this press conference, and just mentioned how many people die in car accidents every year, and we don't just stop driving our cars. The downplaying of this has now begun.

Begun? He never stopped really. Softened a bit, but now going back to dismissing it again.

He really doesn't get math, or even the basics of how these things work that he could glean by just listening to his own experts.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Guy I disagree with says something completely rational and coherent.

Let's take shots at him.  Its the American way.

Graham occasionally takes shots at Trump, but then as soon as it is time to do something that requires some real fortitude, he folds.  He will never vote against him or take a real stance at a time that isn't just for show.  It has been that way for years now.  Trump humiliated him during the campaign, and occasionally he would hit back, but when it was time to do something about it he folded.  This kind of stuff is all for show.  Get back to me when Lindsey Graham gets permission from Trump to carry his own testicles again.

• Love 2

If anyone is watching this live, he just confirmed he isn't listening to the doctors. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Graham occasionally takes shots at Trump, but then as soon as it is time to do something that requires some real fortitude, he folds.  He will never vote against him or take a real stance at a time that isn't just for show.  It has been that way for years now.  Trump humiliated him during the campaign, and occasionally he would hit back, but when it was time to do something about it he folded.  This kind of stuff is all for show.  Get back to me when Lindsey Graham gets permission from Trump to carry his own testicles again.

Lindsey is a girl's name  < for old times sake

It's like everyone other than Trump sees the situation deepening and a need for the whole country to do more, but he's already mentally leaped to the end game and wants so badly to open the doors again.

Are any disease experts actually saying it should be time to open things up again in a week, like he says he's looking forward to?

I understand wanting to open the doors. Hell, everybody wants to get back to normal. In theory I even like allowing state and local governments to make decisions for their local areas. But the feds should be the most pessimistic.