Jump to content
caulfield12

COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm going to have to later this week. I'm probably going to combine it with a Dr. visit (required) and a grocery run. I'm almost certainly wearing a mask during the run, every time I do any step where I have to touch stuff I'll do a hand sanitizer squirt, I'm going to disinfect all the groceries that go in the fridge with lysol along with the table they're sitting on, and everything non-perishable is going to spend 3 days sitting in the garage. 

To me getting gas is a huge problem. You have to make sure you disinfect the entire apparatus you touch, probably have to wear gloves, and if you miss a spot, it’s on your door handle steering wheel and keys, and credit card. The the snowball starts really rolling downhill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

To me getting gas is a huge problem. You have to make sure you disinfect the entire apparatus you touch, probably have to wear gloves, and if you miss a spot, it’s on your door handle steering wheel and keys, and credit card. The the snowball starts really rolling downhill.

We got some last weekend, I put on disposable gloves in my car, took out my credit card, ran it, put it back, then picked up the pump and filled the car up. Took off the gloves semi-carefully outside before I got back in my car and threw them out, and when I got in my car used hand sanny and did the door handles. Felt OK about it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

To me getting gas is a huge problem. You have to make sure you disinfect the entire apparatus you touch, probably have to wear gloves, and if you miss a spot, it’s on your door handle steering wheel and keys, and credit card. The the snowball starts really rolling downhill.

Until right now I didn't think about how difficult the credit card step was going to be. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greg, KS Gov just issued new orders.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/coronavirus/article241587466.html

KS and MO hospitals issuing warning about lack of PPE’s/testing/beds and potentially being overwhelmed.

 

Money (actual bills and coins) even becomes a problem, because there was a fear here that it could carry the virus.

Almost everything went to electronic transactions...and it was already nearly there in the first place.   Paranoia about touching ATM or elevator buttons reigned supreme.

As far as I know, all physical money was taken back by Beijing and burned out of an abundance of caution.

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently one of the Sunoco stations near me can do touchless transactions so that station is getting business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am only shopping where I can use Apple Pay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, greg775 said:

You still won't address mental health of greg. I need to get out or my mental problems will escalate. Health professionals have said by all means go to the park just practice social distancing. I go to the store and buy food when I need it rather than hoard. I do the drive through for coffee once a day. I sit in the park tables 3 hours a day. No one is ever there. You are saying over and over I am a murderer wannabee and yet I do nothing that is not condoned by the health experts. You say I am "literally trying to kill people." You say I am "threatening to murder someone." That is offensive and wrong and mean and cruel. 

Two questions, Greg:

 

1. Do you have any diagnosed mental illness conditions?

 

2. I'm a veteran.  I havent left body parts behind on a foreign battlefield, and I havent suffered any ill long term physical or mental issues from having served. My 2nd question to you is this: What do YOU consider a reasonable degree of service/sacrifice from an average American?

 

Thanks, Greg. I KNOW you can find these answers, then go back to handling Greg's well-being.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greg is like the people outside my apartment.

When the weather is nice out, usually 8-10 people gather on the stoop of my apartment building. Only live in the building. It's real fucking loud, but it's New York City, so it only gets frustrating when the cigarette smoke wafts into my apartment and their music is shaking my window at 2 AM.

We've had some good weather during the pandemic, but people have stayed in. Businesses have lines to get in, with 6-feet apart for the line outside.

Yesterday, weather is good and we have 6 people gather on the stoop for half the day. They wear gloves, but that's it. They're eating takeout on the stoop, which they then left the trash from (and I definitely wasn't going to touch it to toss it out). But when my fianceé or I had to walk our dog, we had to walk through a tightly packed group of 6 people because they didn't give a shit and can't stay indoors during a fucking lethal pandemic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Two questions, Greg:

 

1. Do you have any diagnosed mental illness conditions?

 

2. I'm a veteran.  I havent left body parts behind on a foreign battlefield, and I havent suffered any ill long term physical or mental issues from having served. My 2nd question to you is this: What do YOU consider a reasonable degree of service/sacrifice from an average American?

 

Thanks, Greg. I KNOW you can find these answers, then go back to handling Greg's well-being.

I really think Greg mostly enjoys playing Devil’s advocate or contrarian...to an extreme sometimes, because it’s one way to spark a discussion or be acknowledged online.

If you say perfectly sane/reasonable/logical things all the time, nobody notices, right?

Just look at the debate over Dr. Fauci, nationwide.   He or Gov. Cuomo get called out as Dr. Doom or dark clouds for attempting to prepare for the absolute worst case scenario while hoping that doesn’t actually transpire.

It’s the essence of the current national debate.  If Trump can’t even get flyover states like KS, the Dakotas, Wyoming or Montana to go back to work sooner rather than later...well, there’s going to be quite the epic confrontation in the coming weeks.  

Perhaps Texas becomes the first real test in the reopening after Easter (April 12) as one of the biggest, most important economies in the middle (and a GOP governor).  Alabama, too.  Without Congress or the Fed to intervene...we’re looking at daily falls in the stock market back down to 16-18,000 range, but hopefully I’m wrong.  That will be instantly noticed by Trump/Mnuchin, and cause desperation to ramp the economy back up before Q4/Q1 2021 to set the tone of the daily press briefing.

It’s confusing enough with Trump trying to order even more restrictive shelter in place orders in NY, NJ and CT without informing the governors beforehand.  How to enforce?  With many police officers already out sick, around 10%, and now Rhode Island and Florida trying to track every NYC resident and quarantine them by going door to door....martial law?  National Guard and US military including re-enlisted vets occupying every major city?  If we can’t open the economy, then the natural direction is to overreact by transforming into an authoritarian strongman (“only I can solve these problems”) to project an image of being in control.  
 


Scott Gottlieb, MD@ScottGottliebMD

I’m worried about emerging situations in New Orleans, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, Detroit, Chicago, Philadelphia, among others. In China no province outside Hubei ever had more than 1,500 cases. In U.S. 11 states already hit that total. Our epidemic is likely to be national in scope.

 

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you just stay in your home the next month or so, never go out, never order delivery, if you live in an apartment where you don’t have your own washer , never clean your clothes, it is virtually  Impossible not to expose yourself in some way,but it is the people who make no effort that piss me off. Sure, Greg shouldn’t be sitting in the park, at least at a bench. If you must, bring your own chair. But at least he is making an effort on the rest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, apparently we now have to save Florida from all those infected in the Northeast...not sure if this is due to the presence of a Republican governor, Mar A Lago or the upcoming November election.   Probably all three. 
 

Reports on CNN of an infant under 1 year old in Illinois dying from Covid-19...not 100% confirmed.

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, bmags said:

Somewhat good news, "only" 433 positive tests compared to 650 yesterday in illinois. 

465 new cases today...but incredibly scary as the first infant death reported

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Greg, KS Gov just issued new orders.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/coronavirus/article241587466.html

KS and MO hospitals issuing warning about lack of PPE’s/testing/beds and potentially being overwhelmed.

 

Money (actual bills and coins) even becomes a problem, because there was a fear here that it could carry the virus.

Almost everything went to electronic transactions...and it was already nearly there in the first place.   Paranoia about touching ATM or elevator buttons reigned supreme.

As far as I know, all physical money was taken back by Beijing and burned out of an abundance of caution.

I thought we already had this order. I assumed we did just like KC. It's basically the same as before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Unless you just stay in your home the next month or so, never go out, never order delivery, if you live in an apartment where you don’t have your own washer , never clean your clothes, it is virtually  Impossible not to expose yourself in some way,but it is the people who make no effort that piss me off. Sure, Greg shouldn’t be sitting in the park, at least at a bench. If you must, bring your own chair. But at least he is making an effort on the rest.

Thanks Dick. As far as sitting in the park how long can corona be stuck to the surface of the table or the seat. Nobody is there when I get there; nobody is there when I leave. Why is corona potentially on the park table? Some people on here act as if I'm hanging out with people all day. I am not doing ANYTHING for gosh sakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Thanks Dick. As far as sitting in the park how long can corona be stuck to the surface of the table or the seat. Nobody is there when I get there; nobody is there when I leave. Why is corona potentially on the park table? Some people on here act as if I'm hanging out with people all day. I am not doing ANYTHING for gosh sakes.

I don’t think they know for sure, but it still was around on hard surfaces of a cruise ship 17 days after everyone was evacuated. So probably a pretty long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Quin said:

Greg is like the people outside my apartment.

When the weather is nice out, usually 8-10 people gather on the stoop of my apartment building. Only live in the building. It's real fucking loud, but it's New York City, so it only gets frustrating when the cigarette smoke wafts into my apartment and their music is shaking my window at 2 AM.

We've had some good weather during the pandemic, but people have stayed in. Businesses have lines to get in, with 6-feet apart for the line outside.

Yesterday, weather is good and we have 6 people gather on the stoop for half the day. They wear gloves, but that's it. They're eating takeout on the stoop, which they then left the trash from (and I definitely wasn't going to touch it to toss it out). But when my fianceé or I had to walk our dog, we had to walk through a tightly packed group of 6 people because they didn't give a shit and can't stay indoors during a fucking lethal pandemic.

I'm nothing like those people. Except when I am in the store I am near no people and I always obey the six foot separation thing, walk the other way if I see somebody. Thanks for assuming I leave trash out. I love how now to you mental illness apparently means nothing when before, it was all about how greg didn't care about the mental health of others. now that it's me I should stay in at all times, never get to the park to stay mentally healthy. Greg's mental health doesn't mean squat. Greg throws trash around, huh? I am abiding by all the rules. Where did I go wrong in this thread?? Saying I go to the damn park where there are NO PEOPLE yet joining me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Thanks Dick. As far as sitting in the park how long can corona be stuck to the surface of the table or the seat. Nobody is there when I get there; nobody is there when I leave. Why is corona potentially on the park table? Some people on here act as if I'm hanging out with people all day. I am not doing ANYTHING for gosh sakes.

It can survive on surfaces for hours in a full dose, and up to 72 hours total. Any person who touched it in the past 3 days could have transmitted it there. Or, you could pick it up from someone you talk to, then drop it on the table, and 2 days later someone else picks it up from you.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/19/coronavirus-survives-on-surfaces-how-to-protect-yourself/ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Two questions, Greg:

 

1. Do you have any diagnosed mental illness conditions?

 

2. I'm a veteran.  I havent left body parts behind on a foreign battlefield, and I havent suffered any ill long term physical or mental issues from having served. My 2nd question to you is this: What do YOU consider a reasonable degree of service/sacrifice from an average American?

 

Thanks, Greg. I KNOW you can find these answers, then go back to handling Greg's well-being.

1. No. I'm trying to stave off problems by obeying the government and the medical experts but yet getting out a little bit. They said you could get out for exercise, just stay socially distanced.

2. My whole family is made up of veterans. Thank u for your service. Personally in answer to your question I think I am sacrificing in this. What more can I do? I'm only going outside when I need food or one drive through drink (drive throughs are legally open). I go to the park for mental health; thus far haven't seen anybody within a football field of me. I see no people. Why is it unreasonable to assume I could go mentally insane without getting out just a bit? Why am I the bad guy here??

Thanks for your service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I'm nothing like those people. Except when I am in the store I am near no people and I always obey the six foot separation thing, walk the other way if I see somebody. Thanks for assuming I leave trash out. I love how now to you mental illness apparently means nothing when before, it was all about how greg didn't care about the mental health of others. now that it's me I should stay in at all times, never get to the park to stay mentally healthy. Greg's mental health doesn't mean squat. Greg throws trash around, huh? I am abiding by all the rules. Where did I go wrong in this thread?? Saying I go to the damn park where there are NO PEOPLE yet joining me.

I didn't say you throw trash around.

The point was, they want to keep their routine in the face of a lethal pandemic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It can survive on surfaces for hours in a full dose, and up to 72 hours total. Any person who touched it in the past 3 days could have transmitted it there. Or, you could pick it up from someone you talk to, then drop it on the table, and 2 days later someone else picks it up from you.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/19/coronavirus-survives-on-surfaces-how-to-protect-yourself/ 

Thank you.

My park table is wooden. I guess it's another thing to cross off my list to stay sane. Sit at a wooden park table for 3 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Quin said:

I didn't say you throw trash around.

The point was, they want to keep their routine in the face of a lethal pandemic.

This is not my routine. It is bare minimum of getting outside. Pardon me for being spoiled for my whole life and now being told I cannot do anything, anything at all. If I am a problem then we are all doomed because folks I AM NOT DOING ANYTHING. I am stranded, cooped up almost all day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

 

 

 

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

 

 

Basically we are all doomed then until we order people to stay in 100 percent of the time and have people in protective suits drop off food supplies in front of our houses. Until we have forced isolation we have no chance as a society. I wouldn't discount forced quarantine 24 hours a day before this is over. That seems to be what people want. This thread is a good example. Greg is obeying the rules and thus is probably 85 to 95 percent a non risk at this time. But people are appalled at my behavior. So yes we're going to lock us all in before too much more time I predict. Food drops at our doors hopefully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

 

 

This whole “social chains getting large and complex with alarming speed” is super scary.  
 

the world is so lucky only 500,000 people have the virus, especially since it was flying around the world without restraint for 2-3 months.  
 

let’s keep up the good work 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Why is it unreasonable to assume I could go mentally insane without getting out just a bit? Why am I the bad guy here??

Thanks for your service.

Couple things:

When you refer to yourself in the 3rd person, you come off as a turd, an ass, and a POS.

In general, you'll get more empathy if you avoid turd-like language.

The other piece of this is that there are folks out there that ACTUALLY suffer from ACTUAL mental illnesses. Its incredibly tone-deaf and turd-like to complain about your "mental health," particularly in the 3rd person.

 

Lastly (and this is fucking important), you having to stay inside AINT a fucking sacrifice. It's an inconvenience. All those people working in the ER, in the ICU, the Marine out on patrol, the cop on the beat, the social worker in the shitty neighborhood, and MANY OTHERS are actually sacrificing. Not you missing out on your Panera.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×