Jump to content
caulfield12

COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

Better late than never I guess.

Also, I wish I still worked at Abbott, shit has gotta be fascinating up there. 

My boss's brother is some sort of calibration tech up there, says they've been running non-stop for weeks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

And Illinois now extends it's lockdown to April 30th (not really a surprise).

 

I can't believe Indiana was actually ahead of Illinois.  Holcomb just seems to wait for IL and MI to do something, and then follows a couple of days later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

The idea that the Chinese intentionally created the virus, to kill a bunch of their people and then watch the world struggle with it after, is so preposterous on it's face that it's on par with believing the world is flat.

That doesn't mean that anyone trusts the info from China, of course. There is plenty of reason to believe the number of cases and deaths in China is not accurate - some causes being intentional and some not.

 

The whole idea is absurd.  I mean if China really wanted to sabatoge the West, why wouldn't they plant an illness IN THE WEST!?!?!?! 

The idea that they started an illness in their own country, shutdown their own economy, and then waited for it to go out west so that they could shutdown their economies and in response stop buying from places like China, therefore getting economically slammed, not once, but twice, is so mindboggling shortsighted, it is almost incomprehensible for it to even be considered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here comes another task force meeting/campaign rally/expressions of appreciation from everyone who gets to speak other than Dr. Fauci.

We’ve passed 9/11, Pearl Harbor and the Titanic.

 

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/31/politics/red-states-blue-cities-coronavirus/index.html
Just not sure how the mayors and governors and Federal government can possibly find a way to resolve these simmering disputes unless the push comes from the President to overrule 5 GOP governors (five already going against admin and making their own decisions.)

 

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/31/us/coronavirus-vaccine-timetable-concerns-experts-invs/index.html Scientific community starts pushing back on 12-18 month timeframe for vaccine.

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The whole idea is absurd.  I mean if China really wanted to sabatoge the West, why wouldn't they plant an illness IN THE WEST!?!?!?! 

The idea that they started an illness in their own country, shutdown their own economy, and then waited for it to go out west so that they could shutdown their economies and in response stop buying from places like China, therefore getting economically slammed, not once, but twice, is so mindboggling shortsighted, it is almost incomprehensible for it to even be considered.

They would use coordinated cyberwarfare to confuse coordination efforts, sabotaging the food and/or water supply with the virus and attempting to sabotage the power grid/internet and cell connectivity.

Of course, were they to get caught red-handed...they’d end up in pariah state status, lose trade agreements, military partnerships and undo all the money/loans spent over the past 5-6 years on the various Belt & Road Initiatives. 
Why risk all that when many strategists inside China believe America is heading in the direction of eventually falling apart on its own?    We still can’t figure out whether to conserve masks or not.  In the case of Asians, many feel safer...regardless of the optics, it provides a sense of reassurance.  My wife was on the Wuhan subway the last two days...someone sneezed a couple of times and everyone emptied the car in both directions attempting to get away.

 

We just bumped up the definition of “success” with Covid-19 to up to 200-240,000 deaths (on the upper end) even with active mitigation/suppression.  
 

NY and NJ are definitely the outliers, so far, but showing all the data aggregated like this isn’t capturing how many are a week away from exploding into new clusters.   Like New Orleans, Detroit, Chicago, Atlanta, Miami, etc.

”No magic vaccines or therapies.” Dr. Birx

 

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Here comes another task force meeting/campaign rally/expressions of appreciation from everyone who gets to speak other than Dr. Fauci.

We’ve passed 9/11, Pearl Harbor and the Titanic.

 

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/31/politics/red-states-blue-cities-coronavirus/index.html
Just not sure how the mayors and governors and Federal government can possibly find a way to resolve these simmering disputes unless the push comes from the President to overrule 5 GOP governors (five already going against admin and making their own decisions.)

 

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/31/us/coronavirus-vaccine-timetable-concerns-experts-invs/index.html Scientific community starts pushing back on 12-18 month timeframe for vaccine.

Yeah, if that's true, that it took them 13 years in the best conditions to get a safe vaccine for SARS, then well....This might be the new normal for the next decade plus. 

I honestly don't know what can be done other than to build hospitals because this thing is so damn contagious, that everyone is going to get it eventually, and those that survive the first time will probably get it again. 

This is a huge setback to the human species. We're all fucked.

With how quickly this bug spreads, it seems contracting it is unavoidable over the long term. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, if that's true, that it took them 13 years in the best conditions to get a safe vaccine for SARS, then well....This might be the new normal for the next decade plus. 

I honestly don't know what can be done other than to build hospitals because this thing is so damn contagious, that everyone is going to get it eventually, and those that survive the first time will probably get it again. 

This is a huge setback to the human species. We're all fucked.

With how quickly this bug spreads, it seems contracting it is unavoidable over the long term. 

OMG dude.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, default said:

OMG dude.  

It's actually not that ridiculous. 

That article that Caufield posted claims that a more realistic timeframe for a vaccine that is safe and effective is 12-18 YEARS, not 12-18 months. 

If that's the case, then what can possibly be done other than to accept mass casualties from this thing?

It is what it is. 

If social distancing measures are the only thing keeping it from running rampant, than it appears we have two choices: 

Either social distance until they figure it out, or......just accept the loss of life. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's actually not that ridiculous. 

That article that Caufield posted claims that a more realistic timeframe for a vaccine that is safe and effective is 12-18 YEARS, not 12-18 months. 

If that's the case, then what can possibly be done other than to accept mass casualties from this thing?

It is what it is. 

If social distancing measures are the only thing keeping it from running rampant, than it appears we have two choices: 

Either social distance until they figure it out, or......just accept the loss of life. 

Maybe just learn to enjoy TODAY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today we learned the more optimistic White House estimates are 100-200 thousand dead Americans in the next couple of months.

 

 

Far cry from it's all under control.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just want everyone to know 100,000 - 200,00 Americans dead is considered "reasonable" now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Quin said:

Just want everyone to know 100,000 - 200,00 Americans dead is considered "reasonable" now.

15 total cases, going to drop to zero soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Annnnnd none of those things are really comparable to any of the other things.  

Sure, but just trying to put some scope or scale to the overall numbers.

Invariably, someone will then bring up the common flu, automobile accidents, etc.

 

The biggest point that differentiates this is we’re potentially talking about 100,000+ lives a matter of 2-3 months, versus the course of a full year, with overwhelmed health care system and no vaccine or cure.  That’s the reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Today we learned the more optimistic White House estimates are 100-200 thousand dead Americans in the next couple of months.

 

 

Far cry from it's all under control.

A reporter quickly picked up on this because they seemed afraid to say it aloud.

The chart actually said 200-240,000 on the high end, with a potential or anticipated 10-15 more NY/NJ situations popping up in major metropolitan areas, moving from east to west.  Interestingly, VA and DC were 45 days out for peak.  CA around May 1st.

Even at the epicenter in NYC, the expert projections (five total) range from 7-21 days with 14 being the average for hitting the peak right around Easter Sunday or the first couple of days afterward. 

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The whole idea is absurd.  I mean if China really wanted to sabatoge the West, why wouldn't they plant an illness IN THE WEST!?!?!?! 

The idea that they started an illness in their own country, shutdown their own economy, and then waited for it to go out west so that they could shutdown their economies and in response stop buying from places like China, therefore getting economically slammed, not once, but twice, is so mindboggling shortsighted, it is almost incomprehensible for it to even be considered.

China is overpopulated and their government doesn’t really give a crap about people or human rights in general.  One-child policy?  Most executions among any countries in the world?  Muslim concentration camps?  Human rights activists simply disappearing?

Yes, totally absurd and almost incomprehensible...

I’m not saying this was intentional but some people have far too much faith in reason when it comes to a twisted and corrupt Communist country.  It’s no surprise China and Russia get along just swell.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

China is overpopulated and their government doesn’t really give a crap about people or human rights in general.  One-child policy?  Most executions among any countries in the world?  Muslim concentration camps?  Human rights activists simply disappearing?

Yes, totally absurd and almost incomprehensible...

I’m not saying this was intentional but some people have far too much faith in reason when it comes to a twisted and corrupt Communist country.  It’s no surprise China and Russia get along just swell.

By your logic, this is just as likely to have been planted by America in China, because this country never interfered in other countries affairs and definitely never used biowarefare or genocide against people before. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

By your logic, this is just as likely to have been planted by America in China, because this country never interfered in other countries affairs and definitely never used biowarefare or genocide against people before. 

Some would argue that without the one child policy, the population of China would be 2-2.4 billion, on the conservative side.

Which means higher scarcity of resources, more pollution, more world starvation, etc.

The reality is that having six boys for every five girls creates an entirely new set of problems.  Even lifting the restrictions a few years ago, the birth rate is barely moving up due to the skyrocketing costs of raising a child, health care, education, etc.

25-30 years from now, China will look exactly like Japan demographically...heck, the economic peaks of late 80’s/early 90’s (Japan) compared to 2006-2014 might look quite similar years from now. 
 

Japan, South Korea and now China are all looking at birth rates of 0.8-1.2 per family, where the population is dying off faster than children are born to replace them.  Not to mention all three countries tend to be insular and not immigration-friendly, with an influx of talent from other regions of the world the only obvious solution to inexorable shifts in demographic trendlines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

By your logic, this is just as likely to have been planted by America in China, because this country never interfered in other countries affairs and definitely never used biowarefare or genocide against people before. 

This is absolutely silly. I don't think China purposefully released this virus as an act of biological warfare. Regardless, comparing the US to China is an absolute joke. They literally have Uighur concentration camps where they harvest the organs of the prisoners. 

I get it, "America bad" is the cool mindset to have, but what a reach by you. Comparing China to the US from a humanitarian standpoint is laughable. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, if that's true, that it took them 13 years in the best conditions to get a safe vaccine for SARS, then well....This might be the new normal for the next decade plus. 

There was no demand for a vaccine after it burnt itself out in a few months. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

This is absolutely silly. I don't think China purposefully released this virus as an act of biological warfare. Regardless, comparing the US to China is an absolute joke. They literally have Uighur concentration camps where they harvest the organs of the prisoners. 

I get it, "America bad" is the cool mindset to have, but what a reach by you. Comparing China to the US from a humanitarian standpoint is laughable. 

Its cute that you think these things only work one way.  Especially when you watch our response to this when we had advance notice was quite literally to try to protect the economy instead of people.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

This is absolutely silly. I don't think China purposefully released this virus as an act of biological warfare. Regardless, comparing the US to China is an absolute joke. They literally have Uighur concentration camps where they harvest the organs of the prisoners. 

I get it, "America bad" is the cool mindset to have, but what a reach by you. Comparing China to the US from a humanitarian standpoint is laughable. 

Relitigating Wounded Knee or Japanese displacement camps or drone strikes and endless wars across the Middle East doesn’t solve the problem TODAY.

Nor does worrying about or blaming China, at the moment.

Plenty of time for the entire world to assess this a year from now.

Argue about it in September or October, before the election.   Right now, saving the most lives, red and blue and purple...are all that matters.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Its cute that you think these things only work one way.  Especially when you watch our response to this when we had advance notice was quite literally to try to protect the economy instead of people.

Such as not wanting to take any responsibility for cruise ships...as, well, “bad numbers.”

If we are the greatest country in the world, we should have additional capacity to deal with this, compared to developing countries all around the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huff Post today..."Having sold himself as a great business and military leader despite bankrupt casinos and bone spurs, President Donald Trump faces his greatest challenge yet: making Americans forget the two months he dismissed concerns about a deadly pandemic as a “hoax.”
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

China does a lot of bad things.

Thise things align with power consolidation and authoritarianism.

They act in self interest of the party and building their wealth when it builds power consolidation.

Killing many if their own and shutting down their economy does none of that.

Just because China does bad things doesn’t mean all bad things are feasible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×