Jump to content
caulfield12

COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Because the administration is setting him up as the fall guy by making the failings of the CDC all seem like his doing.  The blood is already in the water, everyone knows Trump hated that he contradicted him multiple times.  People are now blaming him for the virus spreading

Shouldn’t they fire Dr. Redfield, then?  Or Azar?

NIH is a completely different entity...and Fauci cannot be connected in any way, shape or form to the rejection of WHO kits in Jan/Feb, decision to manufacture in the US and the debacle than ensued with those initial kits that set the timetable back by two weeks at such a critical time.

Dr. Fauci and Cuomo are pretty much doubling his approval numbers.  If he does push Dr. Fauci, a 78 year old by the way, out...and leaves Dr. Birx as the only competent face remaining in a country of the best and brightest scientific minds in the world, God help us all.  She’s just not capable of separating herself politically from the administration, and this has been evident from the very beginning. 
 

If anything, he popped the bubble on overly optimistic projections, on weather cures, on untested drugs providing quick solutions, on the country going back to business in early April and then Easter weekend.  He got the nickname Dr. Doom, but now many are managing to outpace his perceived negativity (the projection model with 82 or 84,000 total deaths was the one he most frequently cited.)   Now, that’s considered WAY too optimistic compared to that 100-240k range, not to mention many are citing the 12-18 month timeframe as WAY too optimistic on a vaccine as well.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Do you have a Tony’s by you? A coworker of mine said people don’t really think of that store but they should have toilet paper. I’m going to check the one out in Bolingbrook on Friday to see what I can find.

I've never even heard of Tony's. Googling, looks like you mean Tony's Fresh Market? No, looks like they don't do much in the north burbs other than Niles (and there are like a hundred grocery stores closer than that for me). I appreciate the idea though, thanks.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Ban bet?

You already lost this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You already lost this one.

🤣 lol, ohhhh brother

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-01/china-concealed-extent-of-virus-outbreak-u-s-intelligence-says

Doesn't excuse the slow response by the US, but I sure as hell hope that the US distances themselves from China in the future. We need to recognize them as the threat that they are. A world where China is the leading global power instead of the US is undeniably a scary one. 

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Here’s the problem.  Robert O’Brien (fourth National Security Advisor now) isn’t even qualified for his position.

He, Pompeo, Navarro...are out there blasting China on conservative media outlets.  Fine.

But what happens when he’s part of a briefing with the President?

He quickly remembers how Trump keeps circling back to the trade agreement, tariffs rolling billions in, President Xi and I had a great call, Heartland is being saved by agricultural purchases (that still haven’t come close to replacing lost markets).

Poof.  
 

Dude (O’Brien) then says absolutely nothing at all about China in the briefing.   Can someone in the administration be consistent, for once?  Last week or so, it was Wuhan and China/Chinese virus every other sentence.  Then he’s suddenly coming to the aid of stigmatized Asian communities (“lots of great people, I know many personally...great deal makers”) and protecting them from racist attacks he practically cheered on himself.  The whiplash back and forth is just incredible.

 

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/coronavirus-biden-and-other-democrats-blast-trumps-health-care-rejection-212619771.html

Then he’s somehow saving many millions more by....drumroll, cutting off healthcare enrollment/participation.

The Trump administration’s decision to not open a special enrollment period for the health care marketplace because of the coronavirus pandemic has garnered strong criticism from the Democratic Party.

A White House official told POLITICO that the Trump administration would be foregoing an SEP, and instead “exploring other options.”

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Here’s the problem.  Robert O’Brien (fourth National Security Advisor now) isn’t even qualified for his position.

He, Pompeo, Navarro...are out there blasting China on conservative media outlets.  Fine.

But what happens when he’s part of a briefing with the President?

He quickly remembers how Trump keeps circling back to the trade agreement, tariffs rolling billions in, President Xi and I had a great call, Heartland is being saved by agricultural purchases (that still haven’t come close to replacing lost markets).

Poof.  
 

Dude (O’Brien) then says absolutely nothing at all about China in the briefing.   Can someone in the administration be consistent, for once?  Last week or so, it was Wuhan and China/Chinese virus every other sentence.  Then he’s suddenly coming to the aid of stigmatized Asian communities (“lots of great people, I know many personally...great deal makers”) and protecting them from racist attacks he practically cheered on himself.  The whiplash back and forth is just incredible.

 

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/coronavirus-biden-and-other-democrats-blast-trumps-health-care-rejection-212619771.html

Then he’s somehow saving many millions more by....drumroll, cutting off healthcare enrollment/participation.

The Trump administration’s decision to not open a special enrollment period for the health care marketplace because of the coronavirus pandemic has garnered strong criticism from the Democratic Party.

A White House official told POLITICO that the Trump administration would be foregoing an SEP, and instead “exploring other options.”

 

It is kind of hard to turn our backs on China, when the President keeps embracing them and buying into their propaganda. 

 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/politics/trump-coronavirus-china/index.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I've never even heard of Tony's. Googling, looks like you mean Tony's Fresh Market? No, looks like they don't do much in the north burbs other than Niles (and there are like a hundred grocery stores closer than that for me). I appreciate the idea though, thanks.

 

We get ads for them and I haven’t gone, but it makes sense that larger brands wouldn’t have the items people are seeking but some of the lesser known stores probably stock up better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 min ago

Only some medical supplies from overseas going directly to coronavirus hotspots

From CNN's Leyla Santiago, Priscilla Alvarez and Kristen Holmes

Only a portion of the medical supplies being flown in by the Federal Emergency Management Agency from overseas are being allotted to critical hotspots -- the rest are going onto the private market.

Competition between states and the federal government has been a source of frustration for governors trying to shore up equipment to treat patients with coronavirus, according to multiple officials. 

The Trump administration has touted the incoming flights, billing them and the equipment they're bringing in as a reprieve to states desperate for supplies. 

But states are not the sole recipients of the equipment, according to a FEMA spokesperson. Supplies will also be sent to the private market, where states have been in fierce competition with each other to get hold of hard-to-come-by supplies. 
 

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/austin-spring-breakers-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

 

About 70 people in their 20s chartered a plane from Austin, Texas, to Mexico for spring break two weeks ago. They went against the advice of White House officials who asked that people avoid gathering in groups of more than 10 and nonessential air travel.

Now 44 of those people have tested positive for coronavirus -- all of them University of Texas at Austin students, a university spokesman told CNN on Wednesday.

 

Finally, if Covid-19 overtakes the Dharavi and Kibera slums in Mumbai...well, it’s like those supposedly watertight compartments on the Titanic.

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-01/china-concealed-extent-of-virus-outbreak-u-s-intelligence-says

Doesn't excuse the slow response by the US, but I sure as hell hope that the US distances themselves from China in the future. We need to recognize them as the threat that they are. A world where China is the leading global power instead of the US is undeniably a scary one. 

Here’s the answer, take it as you will.  10,000—40,000, the facts around the world on the ground are no different, except for a higher mortality rate than originally projected (3-4% is where we sat here for about two months.)

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3078120/china-rejects-claims-inaccurate-coronavirus-death-tally-wuhan

 

https://www.newsweek.com/georgia-governor-didnt-know-asymptomatic-people-transmit-coronavirus-1495695

A stunning admission of deadly ignorance from Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp, who says he only just learned that asymptomatic people can transmit #Covid19. “ndividuals could have been infecting people before they ever felt bad, but we didnât know that until the last 24 hours.❠pic.twitter.com/T7NZWk2GDR

Andisheh Nouraee (@andishehnouraee) April 2, 2020

In a bizarre turn of events, information the rest of the nation had in January didnât reach Georgia Governor Brian Kemp until April: âœIndividuals could have been infecting people before they ever felt bad, but we didnt know that until the last 24 hours. https://t.co/v1nGdzTy5y

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Beast said:

We get ads for them and I haven’t gone, but it makes sense that larger brands wouldn’t have the items people are seeking but some of the lesser known stores probably stock up better.

This is a good point. I keep seeing in our paper a family owned grocery keeps saying they are fully stocked. I ought to check it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Here’s the answer, take it as you will.  10,000—40,000, the facts around the world on the ground are no different, except for a higher mortality rate than originally projected (3-4% is where we sat here for about two months.)

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3078120/china-rejects-claims-inaccurate-coronavirus-death-tally-wuhan

 

https://www.newsweek.com/georgia-governor-didnt-know-asymptomatic-people-transmit-coronavirus-1495695

A stunning admission of deadly ignorance from Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp, who says he only just learned that asymptomatic people can transmit #Covid19. “ndividuals could have been infecting people before they ever felt bad, but we didnât know that until the last 24 hours.❠pic.twitter.com/T7NZWk2GDR

Andisheh Nouraee (@andishehnouraee) April 2, 2020

In a bizarre turn of events, information the rest of the nation had in January didnât reach Georgia Governor Brian Kemp until April: âœIndividuals could have been infecting people before they ever felt bad, but we didnt know that until the last 24 hours. https://t.co/v1nGdzTy5y

Kemp should be thrown in to jail for being unconscionably stupid or maliciously ignorant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6.6M new unemployment claims this week, and that's probably still undercounting because state systems are so overloaded right now

Edited by StrangeSox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our next major crisis is going to be state and local budgets being slammed. Need the federal government to backstop or layoffs are only going to accelerate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

 

Istm that having your health insurance tied to your job in the midst of a pandemic causing mass unemployment is a particularly bad system that we should maybe reconsider.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

How the hell is this possibly real?  Has this idiot had his head up his butt for months?  I'm an idiot and I've known that for months.  WTF?!?!?

Him and DeSantis are taking their cues from Trump. This is not me being snarky, it's the truth.   It's why DeSantis wouldn't shut down the beaches and why he would only accept people from Florida off the cruise ship, and why both of them refused to issue stay at home orders until it the horse was way out of the barn

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oak Park is doubling every two days. Lots of nurses/doctors in a small area. It did shelter in place earlier than cook.

But this is one of the worse curves I've seen.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm remotely watching a battle between primary property owners and second home property owners unfold on South Padre Island.  I have empathy on both sides. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the most striking statistics of the last few days is Germany hitting 500,000 tests per day in a much smaller country when we’re touting that we ramped up to 100,000 per day...that’s not counting the 160,0000 backlogged at Quest and 500,000 that aren’t being used because they’re in the wrong places to meet current needs, private hospitals and testing centers, etc.

Pretty jarring that the UK and US need to learn so much from other countries about how to get this right.   Germany’s still under 1000 deaths and they’re still extremely critical of their own response so far and looking to make continuous improvements.

 

And Florida is still exempting religious services from the stay-at-home order.  Sigh.

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I'm remotely watching a battle between primary property owners and second home property owners unfold on South Padre Island.  I have empathy on both sides. 

Sounds like eastern Long Island...Manhattanites fleeing the city and hoarding all the goods/groceries (through an army of assistants and line-waiters) the year-round population (much more middle class) needs to survive. 
 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/politics/kansas-coronavirus/index.html

Topeka, KS residents struggling to follow mayoral requests...reminiscent of conversations from a week ago. 

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Reddy said:

Y'all are literally why we're in this mess.

Yes. I'm angry at folks who didn't take this seriously. Yes. I think that's justified when we're all going to lose people we didn't have to lose. I don't care about scoring cheap points. I want every single one of you who was wrong about this to *learn* from your mistake. The media is not the enemy. Science is not the enemy. Doctors are not the enemy. They were all telling you the truth for months and you didn't listen.

EUmcDWkWAAIXDej?format=jpg&name=large

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×