COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

40 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

How the hell is this possibly real?  Has this idiot had his head up his butt for months?  I'm an idiot and I've known that for months.  WTF?!?!?

(He’s a liar)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Reddy said:

Y'all are literally why we're in this mess.

Yes. I'm angry at folks who didn't take this seriously. Yes. I think that's justified when we're all going to lose people we didn't have to lose. I don't care about scoring cheap points. I want every single one of you who was wrong about this to *learn* from your mistake. The media is not the enemy. Science is not the enemy. Doctors are not the enemy. They were all telling you the truth for months and you didn't listen.

So, the media is absolutely responsible for this. But, one should not think the media is the media, OK? 90% of them are working for the Democrats, they're working for the left. And you know, why you would pay so much attention to what I say, hey I'm flattered, great, you want to write about me? That's great. And as you know, Ray, and they know, if you defame me or slander me, you'll see me in court." https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/politics/devin-nunes-coronavirus/index.html

Devin Nunes has to be one of the worst, now that IA Rep. Steve King is quiet.  Check that, he’s actually taken to comparing the head of the Army Corps of Engineers to Stormin’ Norman Schwarzkopf.   Going with all the wartime analogies...

I watched Trump presser yesterday.  Why is any of our time and tax money being spent on a useless border wall instead of on hospitals, medical staff,  CV-19 testing and medical research to find treatments and a cure ?  And what does drug interdiction at the border have to do with this pandemic ? Maybe the House has to propose legislation to stop any funding for the border wall, at least until after the response to the corona emergency has been funded and resolved.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Reddy said:

A more accurate map:

EUmn7ruXQAI3JV5.jpeg

Looking at the second map. Those darker stretches in Texas are open ranch lands with very little development. The legend states it is measuring changes in travel. If folks in that county did not travel at all, and they still don't, it would be darkest because it did not change. Another possible explanation is if you need to travel 60 miles to the nearest full service grocery store, you will still need to travel that same 60 miles. It appears as if the areas of greatest population density, Houston, Dallas/Ft Worth, Austin, Rio Grande Valley, and San Antonio are travelling much less. 

I also see the stay at home orders are helping. Perhaps it gives cover for employees who are now forced to WFH

21 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Looking at the second map. Those darker stretches in Texas are open ranch lands with very little development. The legend states it is measuring changes in travel. If folks in that county did not travel at all, and they still don't, it would be darkest because it did not change. Another possible explanation is if you need to travel 60 miles to the nearest full service grocery store, you will still need to travel that same 60 miles. It appears as if the areas of greatest population density, Houston, Dallas/Ft Worth, Austin, Rio Grande Valley, and San Antonio are travelling much less. 

I also see the stay at home orders are helping. Perhaps it gives cover for employees who are now forced to WFH

We went to Big Bend via Midland-Odessa in December. Can confirm that there is approximately nothing for 300 miles there, and then a boom town of....70 permanent residents.

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

I'm remotely watching a battle between primary property owners and second home property owners unfold on South Padre Island.  I have empathy on both sides. 

You live around there?  Interesting place.  Man.  About 10 years ago, back when I was still a young pup in my mid 20s we did an epic SXSW and beach trip that included spending two nights on South Padre on the national shoreline.  I'll never forget we were listening to the NCAA Tourney on the beach and drinking some of the cheapest handles of liquor known to man.

What a stunning place.  It's too bad about the petro industry down there tho.  Dirty.  I don't mind the rigs but just the amount of tar and shit on the beach was unacceptable imo.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NWINFan said:

This is what I find amazing about this crisis: No matter how polarized the country has been and is, we should have had an easy time agreeing that this is the most dire crisis we have faced in the history of our country. Instead, we get talk about hoaxes and conspiracies and speculation that is okay if older people die to save the economy. I keep hearing that "we are all in this together." I don't think that's true yet. And that's really scary.

This right here is why you have the hoax/conspiracy nuts. Young people (under 30) have a terrible understanding of history and how society today compares. So when you say crap like this, the Trump supporter who is 65-75 and has seen some worse shit (e.g., being forced to go to war vs. being forced to stay home and watch TV all day) immediately discounts it. This isn't the most dire crisis this country has faced. It probably doesn't even rank in the top 5. It's a serious, serious problem though and overstating it's seriousness is just as detrimental as understating it.

Edited by Jenksismyhero
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jenksismyhero said:

This right here is why you have the hoax/conspiracy nuts. Young people (under 30) have a terrible understanding of history and how society today compares. So when you say crap like this, the Trump supporter who is 65-75 and has seen some worse shit (e.g., being forced to go to war vs. being forced to stay home and watch TV all day) immediately discounts it. This isn't the most dire crisis this country has faced. It probably doesn't even rank in the top 5. It's a serious, serious problem though and overstating it's seriousness is just as detrimental has understating it.

30% unemployment is a crisis.  If you're 65 you likely served in Vietnam, so thanks for your service.  But do you know that more people will likely die in this virus than all US losses in Vietnam?  By a factor of 2-3 even?  

This is much worse than the fake ass crisis in Vietnam, with the now discredited domino theory of Soviet expansion.  I mean, my mom is 66, this is the worst thing she says that's ever happened, not even close.

This is the worst crisis since WWII, that is more than fair to say.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

30% unemployment is a crisis.  If you're 65 you likely served in Vietnam, so thanks for your service.  But do you know that more people will likely die in this virus than all US losses in Vietnam?  By a factor of 2-3 even?  

This is much worse than the fake ass crisis in Vietnam, with the now discredited domino theory of Soviet expansion.  I mean, my mom is 66, this is the worst thing she says that's ever happened, not even close.

This is the worst crisis since WWII, that is more than fair to say.  

The economic impact is historical for sure, but similar to the great depression (assuming we get to that point). 675k people died in the US from the spanish flu so....this isn't even the worst pandemic for our country, let alone the worst crisis in general.

And frankly the number of deaths doesn't make a crisis more or less "historical." 9/11 had 3k or less victims and to me, that was more of a crisis than this. It literally changed every aspect of our lives and still does. This coronavirus is going to be a short term, "boy that was a weird couple of months!" blip. As soon as this passes we'll go right back to how we were before (with hopefully a better procedure/practice for preventing the next one).

Again, when you overstate the problem, people discount it. Why even talk in such extremes? It's a serious fucking problem. That's all that needs to be said.

16 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

This right here is why you have the hoax/conspiracy nuts. Young people (under 30) have a terrible understanding of history and how society today compares. So when you say crap like this, the Trump supporter who is 65-75 and has seen some worse shit (e.g., being forced to go to war vs. being forced to stay home and watch TV all day) immediately discounts it. This isn't the most dire crisis this country has faced. It probably doesn't even rank in the top 5. It's a serious, serious problem though and overstating it's seriousness is just as detrimental as understating it.

We’re looking at worse job loss than the fucking Great Depression dude, on top of WWII level deaths. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jenksismyhero said:

The economic impact is historical for sure, but similar to the great depression (assuming we get to that point). 675k people died in the US from the spanish flu so....this isn't even the worst pandemic for our country, let alone the worst crisis in general.

And frankly the number of deaths doesn't make a crisis more or less "historical." 9/11 had 3k or less victims and to me, that was more of a crisis than this. It literally changed every aspect of our lives and still does. This coronavirus is going to be a short term, "boy that was a weird couple of months!" blip. As soon as this passes we'll go right back to how we were before (with hopefully a better procedure/practice for preventing the next one).

Again, when you overstate the problem, people discount it. Why even talk in such extremes? It's a serious fucking problem. That's all that needs to be said.

Unfortunately I think this is going to change our lives more than 9/11. 9/11 was a stupid fluke terrorist attack. This impacted human civilization. 

4 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

And...you’re still understating the current crisis. By a lot. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure we know yet. We are about to have a lot of mourning this month. Slow and building. That's likely to be as traumatic, though I hope by some miracle that does not happen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Unfortunately I think this is going to change our lives more than 9/11. 9/11 was a stupid fluke terrorist attack. This impacted human civilization. 

A fluke terrorist attack that changed how we travel, how we conduct business, how we manage our security, etc. We created a whole new division of our government/military because of it. Our entire worldview changed because of it.

You think we'll keep practicing social distancing after this? Buying more delivery/curbside food? You think sports leagues will close forever? The only change I see sticking is being more mindful of washing our hands. Maybe telecommuting will be more common (businesses have now been forced to try it and they'll likely see productivity doesn't drop at all). That's about it.

Just now, Jenksismyhero said:

A fluke terrorist attack that changed how we travel, how we conduct business, how we manage our security, etc. We created a whole new division of our government/military because of it. Our entire worldview changed because of it.

You think we'll keep practicing social distancing after this? Buying more delivery/curbside food? You think sports leagues will close forever? The only change I see sticking is being more mindful of washing our hands. Maybe telecommuting will be more common (businesses have now been forced to try it and they'll likely see productivity doesn't drop at all). That's about it.

I do think it will change how we deal with Global Warming as we actually experience a tail risk in our lives.

• Like 1