Jump to content
caulfield12

COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

Recommended Posts

 

 

 

Istm that having your health insurance tied to your job in the midst of a pandemic causing mass unemployment is a particularly bad system that we should maybe reconsider.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

How the hell is this possibly real?  Has this idiot had his head up his butt for months?  I'm an idiot and I've known that for months.  WTF?!?!?

Him and DeSantis are taking their cues from Trump. This is not me being snarky, it's the truth.   It's why DeSantis wouldn't shut down the beaches and why he would only accept people from Florida off the cruise ship, and why both of them refused to issue stay at home orders until it the horse was way out of the barn

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oak Park is doubling every two days. Lots of nurses/doctors in a small area. It did shelter in place earlier than cook.

But this is one of the worse curves I've seen.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm remotely watching a battle between primary property owners and second home property owners unfold on South Padre Island.  I have empathy on both sides. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the most striking statistics of the last few days is Germany hitting 500,000 tests per day in a much smaller country when we’re touting that we ramped up to 100,000 per day...that’s not counting the 160,0000 backlogged at Quest and 500,000 that aren’t being used because they’re in the wrong places to meet current needs, private hospitals and testing centers, etc.

Pretty jarring that the UK and US need to learn so much from other countries about how to get this right.   Germany’s still under 1000 deaths and they’re still extremely critical of their own response so far and looking to make continuous improvements.

 

And Florida is still exempting religious services from the stay-at-home order.  Sigh.

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I'm remotely watching a battle between primary property owners and second home property owners unfold on South Padre Island.  I have empathy on both sides. 

Sounds like eastern Long Island...Manhattanites fleeing the city and hoarding all the goods/groceries (through an army of assistants and line-waiters) the year-round population (much more middle class) needs to survive. 
 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/politics/kansas-coronavirus/index.html

Topeka, KS residents struggling to follow mayoral requests...reminiscent of conversations from a week ago. 

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Reddy said:

Y'all are literally why we're in this mess.

Yes. I'm angry at folks who didn't take this seriously. Yes. I think that's justified when we're all going to lose people we didn't have to lose. I don't care about scoring cheap points. I want every single one of you who was wrong about this to *learn* from your mistake. The media is not the enemy. Science is not the enemy. Doctors are not the enemy. They were all telling you the truth for months and you didn't listen.

EUmcDWkWAAIXDej?format=jpg&name=large

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kalapse said:

EUmcDWkWAAIXDej?format=jpg&name=large

Ok Fox News was the enemy. You got me there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

How the hell is this possibly real?  Has this idiot had his head up his butt for months?  I'm an idiot and I've known that for months.  WTF?!?!?

(He’s a liar)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Reddy said:

Y'all are literally why we're in this mess.

Yes. I'm angry at folks who didn't take this seriously. Yes. I think that's justified when we're all going to lose people we didn't have to lose. I don't care about scoring cheap points. I want every single one of you who was wrong about this to *learn* from your mistake. The media is not the enemy. Science is not the enemy. Doctors are not the enemy. They were all telling you the truth for months and you didn't listen.

So, the media is absolutely responsible for this. But, one should not think the media is the media, OK? 90% of them are working for the Democrats, they're working for the left. And you know, why you would pay so much attention to what I say, hey I'm flattered, great, you want to write about me? That's great. And as you know, Ray, and they know, if you defame me or slander me, you'll see me in court." https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/politics/devin-nunes-coronavirus/index.html

Devin Nunes has to be one of the worst, now that IA Rep. Steve King is quiet.  Check that, he’s actually taken to comparing the head of the Army Corps of Engineers to Stormin’ Norman Schwarzkopf.   Going with all the wartime analogies...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

EUmcDWkWAAIXDej?format=jpg&name=large

What do you know, two Trump states in Iowa and Nebraska are mostly following the rules (also, lesser population density) and still have lots of school districts open as of this week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

EUmcDWkWAAIXDej?format=jpg&name=large

A more accurate map:

EUmn7ruXQAI3JV5.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched Trump presser yesterday.  Why is any of our time and tax money being spent on a useless border wall instead of on hospitals, medical staff,  CV-19 testing and medical research to find treatments and a cure ?  And what does drug interdiction at the border have to do with this pandemic ? Maybe the House has to propose legislation to stop any funding for the border wall, at least until after the response to the corona emergency has been funded and resolved.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tray said:

I watched Trump presser yesterday.  Why is any of our time and tax money being spent on a useless border wall instead of on hospitals, medical staff,  CV-19 testing and medical research to find treatments and a cure ?  And what does drug interdiction at the border have to do with this pandemic ? Maybe the House has to propose legislation to stop any funding for the border wall, at least until after the response to the corona emergency has been funded and resolved.

It's all Obama's fault anyway, didn't you hear?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tony said:

It's all Obama's fault anyway, didn't you hear?

 

If it was empty, they had 3 years to replenish. I don;t know why they are never asked about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Reddy said:

A more accurate map:

EUmn7ruXQAI3JV5.jpeg

Looking at the second map. Those darker stretches in Texas are open ranch lands with very little development. The legend states it is measuring changes in travel. If folks in that county did not travel at all, and they still don't, it would be darkest because it did not change. Another possible explanation is if you need to travel 60 miles to the nearest full service grocery store, you will still need to travel that same 60 miles. It appears as if the areas of greatest population density, Houston, Dallas/Ft Worth, Austin, Rio Grande Valley, and San Antonio are travelling much less. 

I also see the stay at home orders are helping. Perhaps it gives cover for employees who are now forced to WFH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Looking at the second map. Those darker stretches in Texas are open ranch lands with very little development. The legend states it is measuring changes in travel. If folks in that county did not travel at all, and they still don't, it would be darkest because it did not change. Another possible explanation is if you need to travel 60 miles to the nearest full service grocery store, you will still need to travel that same 60 miles. It appears as if the areas of greatest population density, Houston, Dallas/Ft Worth, Austin, Rio Grande Valley, and San Antonio are travelling much less. 

I also see the stay at home orders are helping. Perhaps it gives cover for employees who are now forced to WFH

We went to Big Bend via Midland-Odessa in December. Can confirm that there is approximately nothing for 300 miles there, and then a boom town of....70 permanent residents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we all can acknowledge that Caulfield was right from the beginning. I think we all could have taken this more seriously two months ago and, based on some posters’ comments, some more than others.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Texsox said:

I'm remotely watching a battle between primary property owners and second home property owners unfold on South Padre Island.  I have empathy on both sides. 

You live around there?  Interesting place.  Man.  About 10 years ago, back when I was still a young pup in my mid 20s we did an epic SXSW and beach trip that included spending two nights on South Padre on the national shoreline.  I'll never forget we were listening to the NCAA Tourney on the beach and drinking some of the cheapest handles of liquor known to man.

What a stunning place.  It's too bad about the petro industry down there tho.  Dirty.  I don't mind the rigs but just the amount of tar and shit on the beach was unacceptable imo.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, NWINFan said:

This is what I find amazing about this crisis: No matter how polarized the country has been and is, we should have had an easy time agreeing that this is the most dire crisis we have faced in the history of our country. Instead, we get talk about hoaxes and conspiracies and speculation that is okay if older people die to save the economy. I keep hearing that "we are all in this together." I don't think that's true yet. And that's really scary.

This right here is why you have the hoax/conspiracy nuts. Young people (under 30) have a terrible understanding of history and how society today compares. So when you say crap like this, the Trump supporter who is 65-75 and has seen some worse shit (e.g., being forced to go to war vs. being forced to stay home and watch TV all day) immediately discounts it. This isn't the most dire crisis this country has faced. It probably doesn't even rank in the top 5. It's a serious, serious problem though and overstating it's seriousness is just as detrimental as understating it.

Edited by Jenksismyhero
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×