caulfield12

COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

Just now, Jenksismyhero said:

This right here is why you have the hoax/conspiracy nuts. Young people (under 30) have a terrible understanding of history and how society today compares. So when you say crap like this, the Trump supporter who is 65-75 and has seen some worse shit (e.g., being forced to go to war vs. being forced to stay home and watch TV all day) immediately discounts it. This isn't the most dire crisis this country has faced. It probably doesn't even rank in the top 5. It's a serious, serious problem though and overstating it's seriousness is just as detrimental has understating it.

30% unemployment is a crisis.  If you're 65 you likely served in Vietnam, so thanks for your service.  But do you know that more people will likely die in this virus than all US losses in Vietnam?  By a factor of 2-3 even?  

This is much worse than the fake ass crisis in Vietnam, with the now discredited domino theory of Soviet expansion.  I mean, my mom is 66, this is the worst thing she says that's ever happened, not even close.

This is the worst crisis since WWII, that is more than fair to say.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I mean civil war is definitely worse. Let's just hope this is better than the 1918 pandemic, which I think it will.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bmags said:

uh. Going to hide some posts. The bad ones

Wait you hid my post that was analyzing the damn map? Jesus, now I remember why I stopped posting here.

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

30% unemployment is a crisis.  If you're 65 you likely served in Vietnam, so thanks for your service.  But do you know that more people will likely die in this virus than all US losses in Vietnam?  By a factor of 2-3 even?  

This is much worse than the fake ass crisis in Vietnam, with the now discredited domino theory of Soviet expansion.  I mean, my mom is 66, this is the worst thing she says that's ever happened, not even close.

This is the worst crisis since WWII, that is more than fair to say.  

The economic impact is historical for sure, but similar to the great depression (assuming we get to that point). 675k people died in the US from the spanish flu so....this isn't even the worst pandemic for our country, let alone the worst crisis in general.

And frankly the number of deaths doesn't make a crisis more or less "historical." 9/11 had 3k or less victims and to me, that was more of a crisis than this. It literally changed every aspect of our lives and still does. This coronavirus is going to be a short term, "boy that was a weird couple of months!" blip. As soon as this passes we'll go right back to how we were before (with hopefully a better procedure/practice for preventing the next one).

Again, when you overstate the problem, people discount it. Why even talk in such extremes? It's a serious fucking problem. That's all that needs to be said.

16 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

This right here is why you have the hoax/conspiracy nuts. Young people (under 30) have a terrible understanding of history and how society today compares. So when you say crap like this, the Trump supporter who is 65-75 and has seen some worse shit (e.g., being forced to go to war vs. being forced to stay home and watch TV all day) immediately discounts it. This isn't the most dire crisis this country has faced. It probably doesn't even rank in the top 5. It's a serious, serious problem though and overstating it's seriousness is just as detrimental as understating it.

We’re looking at worse job loss than the fucking Great Depression dude, on top of WWII level deaths. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jenksismyhero said:

The economic impact is historical for sure, but similar to the great depression (assuming we get to that point). 675k people died in the US from the spanish flu so....this isn't even the worst pandemic for our country, let alone the worst crisis in general.

And frankly the number of deaths doesn't make a crisis more or less "historical." 9/11 had 3k or less victims and to me, that was more of a crisis than this. It literally changed every aspect of our lives and still does. This coronavirus is going to be a short term, "boy that was a weird couple of months!" blip. As soon as this passes we'll go right back to how we were before (with hopefully a better procedure/practice for preventing the next one).

Again, when you overstate the problem, people discount it. Why even talk in such extremes? It's a serious fucking problem. That's all that needs to be said.

Unfortunately I think this is going to change our lives more than 9/11. 9/11 was a stupid fluke terrorist attack. This impacted human civilization. 

4 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

And...you’re still understating the current crisis. By a lot. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure we know yet. We are about to have a lot of mourning this month. Slow and building. That's likely to be as traumatic, though I hope by some miracle that does not happen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Unfortunately I think this is going to change our lives more than 9/11. 9/11 was a stupid fluke terrorist attack. This impacted human civilization. 

A fluke terrorist attack that changed how we travel, how we conduct business, how we manage our security, etc. We created a whole new division of our government/military because of it. Our entire worldview changed because of it.

You think we'll keep practicing social distancing after this? Buying more delivery/curbside food? You think sports leagues will close forever? The only change I see sticking is being more mindful of washing our hands. Maybe telecommuting will be more common (businesses have now been forced to try it and they'll likely see productivity doesn't drop at all). That's about it.

Just now, Jenksismyhero said:

A fluke terrorist attack that changed how we travel, how we conduct business, how we manage our security, etc. We created a whole new division of our government/military because of it. Our entire worldview changed because of it.

You think we'll keep practicing social distancing after this? Buying more delivery/curbside food? You think sports leagues will close forever? The only change I see sticking is being more mindful of washing our hands. Maybe telecommuting will be more common (businesses have now been forced to try it and they'll likely see productivity doesn't drop at all). That's about it.

I do think it will change how we deal with Global Warming as we actually experience a tail risk in our lives.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jenksismyhero said:

I think that this is going to change how we travel, how we conduct business, how we manage biological security. I think you are going to see dramatic changes in how the US looks at virus and other disease research.

Im just saying if the US completely changed life over a fluke terrorist attack, what is society (not just the US) going to do over a pandemic that has brought the world to a standstill.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

1000s of shuttered businesses. The economy will be changed fundamentally, probably accelerating toward increased Amazonification.

If it gets bad enough you'll see eventual social unrest and subsequent reforms. 

It's also not outside the realm of possibility that sports leagues shutter if for someone reason we can't get going in 2021 either. 

Edited by mqr

18 minutes ago, Reddy said:

Wait you hid my post that was analyzing the damn map? Jesus, now I remember why I stopped posting here.

You come back and stir up shit with posters you have never interacted with, literally blame them for a pandemic based on a comment from months ago and now want to complain about a comment being masked?   GTFOH with that bullshit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I think that this is going to change how we travel, how we conduct business, how we manage biological security. I think you are going to see dramatic changes in how the US looks at virus and other disease research.

Im just saying if the US completely changed life over a fluke terrorist attack, what is society (not just the US) going to do over a pandemic that has brought the world to a standstill.

But you won't see that on a personal level like after 9/11. Businesses may clean more, for example, but that's behind the scenes. Travel won't change for the average person (I can't see them implementing mandatory health checks for each flight...they aren't even doing that in the height of the pandemic). And yeah, hopefully the government takes this seriously and keeps a pandemic response/biological security team in place, but we had that just a few years ago and no one thought about it. 

On a personal, day to day level, this doesn't compare to the effects of 9/11 except for the disruption which I grant you will be months, not weeks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

a4bb5183-f182-4f03-8d35-4cf5bd2a184d

4 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

On a personal, day to day level, this doesn't compare to the effects of 9/11 except for the disruption which I grant you will be months, not weeks.

The disruption is what is going to cause the social change not necessarily the virus itself.  There are going to be A LOT more poor people in 2021 than there were in 2019.

Edited by mqr
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You live around there?  Interesting place.  Man.  About 10 years ago, back when I was still a young pup in my mid 20s we did an epic SXSW and beach trip that included spending two nights on South Padre on the national shoreline.  I'll never forget we were listening to the NCAA Tourney on the beach and drinking some of the cheapest handles of liquor known to man.

What a stunning place.  It's too bad about the petro industry down there tho.  Dirty.  I don't mind the rigs but just the amount of tar and shit on the beach was unacceptable imo.

I spent about 10 summers living on the island then moving inland the rest of the year. I still have a lot of friends down there. It's tough to get down as much as I would like. It's about a four hour drive from San Antonio. They keep the beaches clean near the developed areas. I would mostly drive north towards the Port Mansfield cut. I actually prefer the Laguna Madre side. As you go north the inter-coastal is incredible. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

I do think it will change how we deal with Global Warming as we actually experience a tail risk in our lives.

I'm not convinced the Republicans will change their tune on that. There is too much lobbying money at stake. 

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

We went to Big Bend via Midland-Odessa in December. Can confirm that there is approximately nothing for 300 miles there, and then a boom town of....70 permanent residents.

Big Bend Ranch State Park and Big Bend National Park are two of my favorite places on earth. We head out there every chance we get. 

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I spent about 10 summers living on the island then moving inland the rest of the year. I still have a lot of friends down there. It's tough to get down as much as I would like. It's about a four hour drive from San Antonio. They keep the beaches clean near the developed areas. I would mostly drive north towards the Port Mansfield cut. I actually prefer the Laguna Madre side. As you go north the inter-coastal is incredible. 

Yea we did the bottom legs of the "Texas triangle" drive.  We started in Houston, went to Galveston and then went to SA before Austin.  Just drove through SA briefly.  A very unique and beautiful part of the country.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

I believe the changes we will see will be an acceleration in trends that are evolutionary not revolutionary. Curbside and home delivery of groceries were already in place. As consumers become more comfortable and  enjoy the convenience it will grow at a fast rate than it otherwise would especially among consumers 50 and over. Cooking at home may piggyback on that with younger consumers. Business travel, which was already on a two decade downward slide will slip even faster. 

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea we did the bottom legs of the "Texas triangle" drive.  We started in Houston, went to Galveston and then went to SA before Austin.  Just drove through SA briefly.  A very unique and beautiful part of the country.

South Padre does not have 10% of the petro industry as you experienced a few hundred miles north in Galveston. There is a sizable group fighting turning the Port of Brownsville into a Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG) terminal.  

8 minutes ago, mqr said:

The disruption is what is going to cause the social change not necessarily the virus itself.  There are going to be A LOT more poor people in 2021 than there were in 2019.

A lot of this economic disruption is short term though. Once businesses can operate again, most of those jobs will come back. Sure, not all will, not all businesses will re-open, and for those that do, it may take some time to get back to where they were before this. But the reason the economy is tanking is not because the fundamentals are bad. It's because the government literally told people to stop going to work. 

• Thanks 1