caulfield12

COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

“Great question. Just let me consult Facebook real quick and get back to you.”

I would rather hear from his brother and Karlie Kloss.  They might even beat The Bachelor ratings and get their own spin-off.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Joe Rogan had a Professor of Molecular Virology & Microbiology on his podcast to discuss the virus. Interesting stuff and much better than the garbage you get from mainstream news sources. 

I know right, it's like the MSM won't put "real" doctors on like this.....

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Quin said:

Peter Hotez has been a frequent face on CNN and MSNBC lately, so swing and a miss here.

10 minutes ago, Tony said:

I know right, it's like the MSM won't put "real" doctors on like this.....

Yeah, no shit. He said multiple times on the podcast that he has been on all the major news stations, including Fox News, MSNBC, CNN. Those stations also pedal one sided garbage that fit their agendas. This podcast allows over an hour of good content from the professor. He doesn't have a limited timeslot like on all the news stations. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Yeah, no shit. He said multiple times on the podcast that he has been on all the major news stations, including Fox News, MSNBC, CNN. Those stations also pedal one sided garbage that fit their agendas. This podcast allows over an hour of good content from the professor. He doesn't have a limited timeslot like on all the news stations. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

Captain of USS Theodore Roosevelt fired...

https://www.businessinsider.com/navy-relieves-uss-theodore-roosevelt-captain-loss-of-confidence-2020-4

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/politics/brian-kemp-ron-desantis-donald-trump-coronavirus/index.html

Now we have this unprecedented situation in Florida with the governor stating no local/municipal/county restriction is allowed to be stricter than his statewide rule.  What happened to local officials on the ground being able to make those decisions more effectively?   More confusion.  Now it was reversed again.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Thursday that local governments can enact stricter measures to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus than what is outlined in his statewide stay-at-home order, seeking to clear up confusion over language that says his order “supersedes” all local actions.

After he signed an executive order around 1 p.m. Wednesday telling everyone in the state to stay at home through the end of April, except for certain essential activities, DeSantis issued an amendment to the order hours later. The amendment said the governor’s order “shall supersede any conflicting action or order issued by local officials in response to COVID-19.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241720381.html#storylink=cpy

Finally, Trump announcing theorizing that the wearing of scarves because they are thicker will provide more protection than proper medical masks is borderline certifiable.

Edited by caulfield12

This is one the most truly absurd quotes I’ve ever heard. 

JFC these people, and this one in particular, are useless. 

Edited by mqr

14 minutes ago, mqr said:

This is one the most truly absurd quotes I’ve ever heard. 

JFC these people, and this one in particular, are useless. 

• Haha 2

Uninsured Americans could be facing nearly $75,000 in medical bills if hospitalized for coronavirus

Those who are hospitalized with coronavirus can expect to pay anywhere from $42,486 to $74,310 if they are uninsured or if they receive care that's deemed out-of-network by their insurance company, according to recent analysis by independent nonprofit FAIR Health

For those with insurance who are using in-network providers, out-of-pocket costs will be a portion of $21,936 to $38,755, depending on the cost-sharing provisions of their health plan. 

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/04/01/covid-19-hospital-bills-could-cost-uninsured-americans-up-to-75000.html?__twitter_impression=true

We can have a better society if we choose. I'm hopeful that's one of the lasting outcomes of this.

12 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Uninsured Americans could be facing nearly $75,000 in medical bills if hospitalized for coronavirus

Those who are hospitalized with coronavirus can expect to pay anywhere from $42,486 to $74,310 if they are uninsured or if they receive care that's deemed out-of-network by their insurance company, according to recent analysis by independent nonprofit FAIR Health

For those with insurance who are using in-network providers, out-of-pocket costs will be a portion of $21,936 to $38,755, depending on the cost-sharing provisions of their health plan. 

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/04/01/covid-19-hospital-bills-could-cost-uninsured-americans-up-to-75000.html?__twitter_impression=true

We can have a better society if we choose. I'm hopeful that's one of the lasting outcomes of this.

Well, as usual, they’ll get back to us on this.

Will insurance companies that are waiving copays get reimbursed by the government?

Will there be any (independently-verifiable) way of tracking $2 trillion in spending?   Well, no, we don’t have time for witch hunts, hoaxes and negativity.

What about the 30 million who aren’t part of ObamaCare and can’t buy in now (SEP)...even if they wanted to?

Sounds great to say the government would LIKE to take care of everyone, but what will be the reality?

One of his better quotes...
11. "One thing about the way I've conducted myself is not a lot of people know who I've been talking to and what I've been talking about and that protects people."

Shorter (Jared) Kushner: I talk to people. Lots of people. You don't know them. But I talk to them.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

If it's not on my magamouthbreathers.com page it is not legit. 

• Love 3

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Captain of USS Theodore Roosevelt fired...

https://www.businessinsider.com/navy-relieves-uss-theodore-roosevelt-captain-loss-of-confidence-2020-4

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/politics/brian-kemp-ron-desantis-donald-trump-coronavirus/index.html

Now we have this unprecedented situation in Florida with the governor stating no local/municipal/county restriction is allowed to be stricter than his statewide rule.  What happened to local officials on the ground being able to make those decisions more effectively?   More confusion.  Now it was reversed again.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Thursday that local governments can enact stricter measures to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus than what is outlined in his statewide stay-at-home order, seeking to clear up confusion over language that says his order “supersedes” all local actions.

After he signed an executive order around 1 p.m. Wednesday telling everyone in the state to stay at home through the end of April, except for certain essential activities, DeSantis issued an amendment to the order hours later. The amendment said the governor’s order “shall supersede any conflicting action or order issued by local officials in response to COVID-19.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241720381.html#storylink=cpy

Finally, Trump announcing theorizing that the wearing of scarves because they are thicker will provide more protection than proper medical masks is borderline certifiable.

When you consider the knowledge imputed to this guy it is pretty damning. 

7 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

I'm hoping that as a society, we change the way we view the importance of so many working class jobs. How many "unskilled" workers are putting their health on the line right now for little pay and no sick leave or job security while most of us work from home? Perhaps we should recognize them as essential and important always, and above all as people equally worthy of dignity and respect and living wages.

I hope too we recognize the importance of making our society more resilient to these sorts of crises in the future. We could have been much better prepared and equipped to deal with this, and we will need to deal with more global warming induced crises in the near future.

Not just global warming crises, but automation crises as well.

17 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

What's wrong with Breitbart?

Nothing. Now have another sip of Kool aid.

• Haha 1
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

He's not wrong when he says we need to think about who will be a competent manager.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

I’m no John Keynes, but that seems bad imo

• Love 1

Friday setting up as a battle between Dr. Fauci, GOP governors and Trump over why there’s still no national/Federal stay at home declaration yet.

States without Statewide Stay at Home Orders  (info is a few days behind, cnn.com)

Alabama

Arkansas

Georgia (Thursday)

Florida  (just instituted Thursday)

Iowa

Maine (announced)

Mississippi (just announced)

Missouri

Nebraska

Nevada (just announced)

North Dakota

Oklahoma (announced)

Pennsylvania (just announced)

South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee (“safer at home”)???

Texas (not stay at home, but some restrictions recently announced)

Utah

Wyoming

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/coronavirus-deaths-top-5000-in-us-as-more-states-issue-stay-at-home-orders

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04/02/opinion/if-clueless-governors-wont-act-trump-needs-issue-national-stay-at-home-order/

https://fox8.com/news/coronavirus/what-are-you-waiting-for-11-states-that-havent-asked-residents-to-stay-home/

Just now, StrangeSox said:

Perhaps cutting government to the bone is not actually the best idea

It's almost as if we held a national prayer circle and chose Satan to lead us.

The states should have been building their stockpile. We have almost 10,000 in our stockpile and we've been building it," Trump said at the White House.

"We've been supplying it. But the states should be building. We're a backup. We're not an ordering clerk."

Trump also appeared to question the financial wisdom of investing in mass production of the critical breathing machines, saying that in a few months they would only be worth $5 apiece

The building controversy over ventilators came as it emerged that 20% of a federal reserve of ventilators were out of commission because their maintenance contract lapsed.

Hospitals in California and New York received machines from the stockpile but found them to need repair, according to the story first reported by The New York Times and CNN reporting. Federal officials have said they have sent 4,400 ventilators to New York -- by far the worst-hit US state -- from the national stockpile.

Even the new ventilators will not be available to states that are in the heat of the coronavirus battle right now.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/politics/donald-trump-ventilators-leadership-coronavirus/index.html

This is good news, though. Illinois testing rates continue to climb steadily.

EUrzjOTXsAAhtWU?format=jpg&name=small

edit2: this is not so good news:

Edited by StrangeSox

PPP rollout is a total shot show so far, although the day is still young.  Looks like healthcare.gov rollout all over again. 

#government