COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They spent more time with antibodies and platelets from recovered patients, Remdesivir, antivirals/antiretrovirals.

To say it was widespread would definitely not be the case.

I didn’t say it was wide spread. The difference is access, doctors can’t easily access remdesivir, i can’t imagine the supply is even particularly large. They can try hydrochloraquine now relatively easily.

That’s why it would be immensely helpful if government made a guaranteed large purchase of all current retrovirals, remdesivir and hydrochloraquine so they can ramp up in case they find the timing/patient profile it works for right away.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bmags said:

I didn’t say it was wide spread. The difference is access, doctors can’t easily access remdesivir, i can’t imagine the supply is even particularly large. They can try hydrochloraquine now relatively easily.

That’s why it would be immensely helpful if government made a guaranteed large purchase of all current retrovirals, remdesivir and hydrochloraquine so they can ramp up in case they find the timing/patient profile it works for right away.

Well, Peter Navarro just stating that he’s the “second opinion” to Dr. Tony Fauci is only amusing on Curb Your Enthusiasm.  And Dr. Birx will line up in the middle, but leaning towards the admin side.  Seems like they could use a few more doctors on that task force, beyond the FDA and CDC political appointees.

Almost nobody mentions the side effects, organ toxicity...or how potent it actually is.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yet this administration is rushing to shove money at companies who refuse to register inside of the United States because they don't want to follow our laws.

or pay our taxes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, Peter Navarro just stating that he’s the “second opinion” to Dr. Tony Fauci is only amusing on Curb Your Enthusiasm.  And Dr. Birx will line up in the middle, but leaning towards the admin side.  Seems like they could use a few more doctors on that task force, beyond the FDA and CDC political appointees.

Almost nobody mentions the side effects, organ toxicity...or how potent it actually is.

I just think FDA after the AIDS crisis should have created an epidemic response that does better at planning supply and fast tracking tests and medication.

Because when you are dealing with patients on verge of respiratory failure, saying "well we don't know what the side effects may be" become less important (or in the case of AIDS, they were already facing certain death).

11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-hydroxychloroquine-white-house-01306286-0bbc-4042-9bfe-890413c6220d.html

Fringe economist Peter Navarro is attempting to intervene with his gut health care advice that has literally zero grounding in sound scientific testing methods.

God help us all.

We get the government we deserve when people don’t pay enough attention to exactly what it is that they’re voting for, which is Jared Kushner masquerading as a logistics/procurement expert and Navarro rampaging like a bull through a China (figuratively) shop.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/05/opinions/coronavirus-wealthy-false-security-vicky-ward-opinion/index.html

For some of the rich I speak to, a more urgent headache than the symptom of the virus is the possible ramifications of the economic shutdown — but even that may be much less meaningful than you'd think given the tax break some are getting from the stimulus package. A clause in the bill allows commercial real estate developers to offset paper losses from the depreciation of their buildings against taxes on profits from other investments like the stock market. A New York Times report says the estimated cost of the change over 10 years is $170 billion.

One real estate mogul told me that he cracked open the champagne beside the pool the day the CARES Act was passed by Congress.

"Some people are going to get very rich out of this," says someone else I know in the health care supplies business.

Harvard-trained epidemiologist Dr. Ashwin Vasan told me that he's heard disturbing stories of wealthy individuals procuring their own ventilators. This at a time governors of hard-hit states say they're about to run out of their own essential supplies.

Its why they should have entirely focused on guaranteeing payrolls and providing deferrals for loans, etc.  Just flat out suspensions of kicking items down the road until recovery hit.  I've seen statistics that indicate the cost of that would have been less than what we are giving and while everything the government does with these large packages are going to help many, but also, there are going to be people who make out like bandits from the deals as well.  

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Pretty sure the trump org tried to acquire multiple companies that are working on developing this cure, and has yet to find success doing so.   And that's certainly not strange at all

Yep.  But we can't discount that he would make decisions to benefit himself instead of the country because we have seen that he is perfectly willing to profit from his Presidency.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Oh they are definitely doing something shady. But chloroquine and others were used in China too, so I don’t think it should be discounted.

mainly I don’t think people should back into thinking the FDA will handle this well, they’ve been a disaster.

I haven't been a huge fan, because I think there are some other drugs I have read of, which seem as promising if not more promising, but I do like the fact that everyone is trying to speed the process up (but its important that the drugs being used are safe...more than anything). If drugs are safe with minimal side-effects, than you can be a little more aggressive in trying to treat patients and see the effects. 

But the way the administration does everything is bad.  Its use of family relationships and lack of independence is horrible (vs. a focus on independent experts and independent bids).  But that shouldn't surprise anyone that voted for the guy because that is how he has operated in his own professional life.  

9 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

We're seeing some substantial racial disparities in deaths from covid

Milwaukee is seeing similar disparities, D.C. as well (with limited numbers so far there)

And on the ability to access remote learning:

I'm at close to 100%. I teach seniors with a lot who are college bound. 

17 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

We're seeing some substantial racial disparities in deaths from covid

I would say let's give this more time because the outbreaks could have started in black communities here. 

That being said, I would not be the least bit surprised if this keeps up. 

https://twitter.com/cameronks/status/1244982547815284742?s=21

Front line doctor talking about how this is a new disease and not simply ARDS.  The typical way of ventilating might be doing more harm than good.  

All the doctors commenting and hypothesizing on Twitter is absolutely remarkable.  I’m blown away.  Keep asking questions smart people; it’s going to save so many lives.  

Twitter is now like an episode of Dr.  House but with thousands of Dr. House’s all comparing notes and hypothesizing from around the world.  

the hemoglobin blood disease iron toxicity stuff is must read.  

curious for some Ptac input.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

The commander in chief relishing in the fact that the new york times and Washington Post are hurting from the coronavirus. Classic and classy.

I am personally getting sick of this crap, especially now. This is not a time for settling scores. I would imagine many other media sources are seeing a decrease in advertising. Is he happy about that, too? How many people is this hurting? This man kicks people when they're down. He is totally unlikable.

The only fake news comes from his press briefings, and his constant spreading of misinformation only makes things worse. Are all these deaths fake news, too?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I am personally getting sick of this crap, especially now. This is not a time for settling scores. I would imagine many other media sources are seeing a decrease in advertising. Is he happy about that, too? How many people is this hurting? This man kicks people when they're down. He is totally unlikable.

The only fake news comes from his press briefings, and his constant spreading of misinformation only makes things worse. Are all these deaths fake news, too?

It's quite possibly the most petty bullshit I've ever seen in my life. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NWINFan said:

So where did all of the "let's work together" and "why tear him down?" people disappear to? 

Again, leadership starts at the top.  maybe if the President focused on uniting us as a nation, the nation wouldn't be so divided?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So where did all of the "let's work together" and "why tear him down?" people disappear to? 

Again, leadership starts at the top.  maybe if the President focused on uniting us as a nation, the nation wouldn't be so divided?

I am shocked by how many thinking, rational, intelligent, people I know that will continue to support him and blame everyone else but him. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I am shocked by how many thinking, rational, intelligent, people I know that will continue to support him and blame everyone else but him. 

It was obvious at the time, but it sure makes the whole "I alone can fix it" mantra from his convention speech so hilarious. 

• Like 1

Ok I’m going to bet it all on Hydroxychloroquine and blood transfusions being the preferred treatment very shortly, with tremendous results.

I’m fully buying in to this being a blood disorder affecting your hemoglobin’s ability to bond to oxygen and transport it in your red blood cells.  There is no pneumonia whatsoever.    

This makes the most sense to me by far, so far.  Anybody else all over this?  

• Haha 1

One thing going on in my dumb brain is that it’s fascinating that this situation more or less played out 100 years ago, but the world was so fucked at the time that it’s mostly a historical footnote. 

At least we have that going for us I guess?

15 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Ok I’m going to bet it all on Hydroxychloroquine and blood transfusions being the preferred treatment very shortly, with tremendous results.

I’m fully buying in to this being a blood disorder affecting your hemoglobin’s ability to bond to oxygen and transport it in your red blood cells.  There is no pneumonia whatsoever.    

This makes the most sense to me by far, so far.  Anybody else all over this?  

the shitty anti-virals are at best as good as placebo and come with a chance if kidney failure and blindness.   Like, listen to people that have had malaria.  You don't want to be taking hydroxochloroquine unless you're about to die otherwise.

• Thanks 1