COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

I'm guessing like they have these past three years. Especially if once again he wins with a minority of the popular vote. 

These three years haven't been too horrible. He promised to repeal the Affordable Care Act and didn't. He promised to not golf much, and has. He promised to drain the swamp and he did, by moving the swamp to the White House. So overall I'm happy. Perhaps he can golf even more during his next term. 

The one I am waiting for is the suggestion of putting off the election because of safety considerations.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

The post mortem on this will be fascinating.  There is no chance we get an accurate tally on cases and deaths while we are going through this.  It will be interesting when we have historical perspective to see how close and accurate that we are.

It wasn't until 4-5 years later that we understood the full impact of H1N1.

23 minutes ago, Quin said:

Trump removes independent watchdog for coronavirus funds, upending oversight panel 

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/07/trump-removes-independent-watchdog-for-coronavirus-funds-upending-oversight-panel-171943

Couldn't ever see this coming after this panel was put in place to avoid handing Mnuchin a 500 million dollar slush with no oversight 

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The one I am waiting for is the suggestion of putting off the election because of safety considerations.

This is the reason Im not going to crazy over the Wisconsin ruling about election postponement. I could already see Trump trying to pull something like indefinitely suspending the election. 

2 hours ago, mqr said:

NY still dropping new cases, hospitalizations, ICUs

Correction: Hospitalizations are up from Sunday and Monday, but down from Saturday. 

There is a lot more noise than I was expecting. But I think the sweet spot is hospitalizations down + 15% or less on percentage positives from the day's testing.

Illinois has been noisey, and maybe just false hope, but if it falls today I really think it's the start.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Its funny that it took this short of a time to get figured out.

As far as ties go, I'm pretty sure you can tie every large donor to various large companies (on both sides of the aisle). I think this is like 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon type of thing where you could do this analysis and find pretty quick ties amongst anyone with some wealth.  That said, I wouldn't be surprised if there was actually more to that.  

1 hour ago, Soxbadger said:

This is the reason Im not going to crazy over the Wisconsin ruling about election postponement. I could already see Trump trying to pull something like indefinitely suspending the election. 

I've read this a few times online and just want to say that there is no way Trump could maintain office without holding an election. If the election was postponed or delayed for any reason, Nancy Pelosi would become the President until a proper election can be held. That is how the Constitution has it written.

The only way - so I guess I shouldn't say no way - is for Trump to literally overthrow the government and military in a coup.

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I would love to know the amount of wealth Trump has acquired for the term of his Presidency compared to Obama and Clinton.  I bet it would be eye opening.

DURING the Presidency?  It would be eye-opening as Trump is the first President in HISTORY to refuse to separate out his personal wealth and interests from the office of the Presidency. He's also the first to set his personal travel and activities around enriching his own wealth.  But then again he'd get on TV and say this wasn't happening despite all of the paperwork showing he is, and then someone would show a meme about Clinton and/or Obama and half the country would buy it like usual.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My boss caught Covid back in mid-March. It was never enough to be hospitalized, but he was self-quarantined at home for a few weeks and in rough shape. He finally felt well enough/had been asymptomatic long enough to go for a run on Sunday. He told me today his lungs still felt like they were on fire from that. He's an otherwise healthy mid-30's guy who eats fairly healthy and exercises pretty regularly. He still doesn't have his sense of smell back either. This thing can mess you up.

I had to run to Home Depot to pick up some parts for an emergency plumbing repair just now and drove through Orland. Normally packed restaurant, movie theater and store parking lots were pretty much empty. Got a pretty strong feeling of sadness that came over me from that.

• Love 1

41 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

As far as ties go, I'm pretty sure you can tie every large donor to various large companies (on both sides of the aisle). I think this is like 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon type of thing where you could do this analysis and find pretty quick ties amongst anyone with some wealth.  That said, I wouldn't be surprised if there was actually more to that.  

Jimmy Carter had to put his peanut farm in a blind trust.

Trump was supposed to disconnect himself from this.

• Like 1

Cook County Jail is a really shitty, rock and hard place situation. Either you just let it continue to rip through there or release people and run the risk of having them spread the shit out of it. There really isn't a comfortable answer. 

Edited by mqr

1 hour ago, bmags said:

There is a lot more noise than I was expecting. But I think the sweet spot is hospitalizations down + 15% or less on percentage positives from the day's testing.

Illinois has been noisey, and maybe just false hope, but if it falls today I really think it's the start.

https://gothamist.com/news/surge-number-new-yorkers-dying-home-officials-suspect-undercount-covid-19-related-deaths

But then there's this.  Per this article in the Gothamist, 200 people in NYC are dying at home every day - above the 20-25 that die on average.  Those deaths - per the article - are not counted in the official death count.  

The infuriating thing here is that we still aren't even approaching widespread enough, and rapid enough, testing to have reliable data here.

8 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Are people reusing fabric masks or washing them between uses? And is wearing one while driving really necessary? 

We made the inside fabric a different color to know where your mouth was, then storing in a paper bag. Washing often but not every time. I don't have it on while driving, but mostly outside except while running.

• Like 1

I have a box or two of masks I use when sanding workworking projects and I have a respirator I use while applying finishes. I'm thinking of using the masks in public. 

8 minutes ago, illinilaw08 said:

https://gothamist.com/news/surge-number-new-yorkers-dying-home-officials-suspect-undercount-covid-19-related-deaths

But then there's this.  Per this article in the Gothamist, 200 people in NYC are dying at home every day - above the 20-25 that die on average.  Those deaths - per the article - are not counted in the official death count.  

The infuriating thing here is that we still aren't even approaching widespread enough, and rapid enough, testing to have reliable data here.

It's so frustrating how little we still know about this thing.

• Like 1