LOL

bmags

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

Madrigal can't check the boxes at the top of the list, amirite

At least until the service time deadline.  Stone was saying the same thing this morning on The Score but wouldn’t say the real reason why not.  Madrigal and Kopech won’t be on the opening day roster.

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

At least until the service time deadline.  Stone was saying the same thing this morning on The Score but wouldn’t say the real reason why not.  Madrigal and Kopech won’t be on the opening day roster.

It's easy to hide Kopech for sure when you have 5 other starters at least (and not referring to Covey/Santiago types). So if he were to file a grievance, the Sox at least are protected (unless there is an injury).

Edited by soxfan2014

14 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I would bet zero dollars one way or the other on Madrigal being on the Sox for opening day.  Eloy signed an extension near the end of ST.  Nicky could easily do the same thing.  Because a Madrigal extension would not be huge...he might be brought up even without signing an extension.  This will be one of the interesting things to watch in ST.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Fegan’s comment is interesting.  If Zobrist has anything left in the tank and still wants to play baseball in Chicago for one more season, he would be ideal.  Switch-hitter who is better against lefties and can play both 2B and RF.

Did he suggest Zobrist is a target for the Sox or are you just connecting the dots assuming Madrigal won’t break camp with the team?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Did he suggest Zobrist is a target for the Sox or are you just connecting the dots assuming Madrigal won’t break camp with the team?

No, I just think Zobrist is a perfect fit for this team if he still wants to play baseball and doesn’t want to leave Chicago.  He’ll be cheap on a one year deal.  He can start at 2B until Madrigal is up.  He’s a switch-hitter who is stronger against lefties so once Madrigal is up, he can platoon with Mazara in RF.  When both Madrigal and Mazara are in the lineup, he can server as the utility guy.

4 hours ago, TomPickle said:

I came in expecting this

but only because I hadn't seen that yet.

I dont think theyll actually assess him during spring training and will keep him down...but it's not like hes been other worldly in the minor leagues like some of our other minor leaguers. His stats dont exactly show he needs to be up here this second.

25 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I dont think theyll actually assess him during spring training and will keep him down...but it's not like hes been other worldly in the minor leagues like some of our other minor leaguers. His stats dont exactly show he needs to be up here this second.

I agree that he's not lighting the world on fire and making a joke of AAA. But he's a super polished and possibly physically maxed out guy without that much more upside. The two possible boxes that he has to check that are basically the same thing: hit for more power (even if just doubles) and/or change his approach to wait for more pitches he can hit with authority. Even then I don't know if doing that actually maximizes him as a baseball player. 

I don't think that's going to happen either way and he'll still be up in May at the latest.

Edited by TomPickle