Goose Island Sox Golden Ale

Buehrle>Wood

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If you've never had it, give Founders Solid Gold a try for a lager/pilsner style beer. 

I will thanks.

Also, I just realized that St Bernardus is the Christmas Ale that I have gifted to my nephew the last few years...he says it is great but I never tried it myself haha!!

1 minute ago, wegner said:

I will thanks.

Also, I just realized that St Bernardus is the Christmas Ale that I have gifted to my nephew the last few years...he says it is great but I never tried it myself haha!!

St Bernardus makes a Xmas ale; it's good. I enjoy it. 

The one I'm citing above is the ABT 12; https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/259/1708/

It's not quite as malty as the xmas ale; a little more yeasty which I like. They're both quads so really similar. 

8 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Do you feel some obligation to just shit on everything that anyone on this website gets excited about?  Not needed.

When craft beer begins to be mass-produced, ingredients like yeast, hops, and grains get tweaked and reduced to increase profits.

But I guess not everyone likes their beers to have stronger flavors or be less watered down.  Different strokes for different folks.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

St Bernardus makes a Xmas ale; it's good. I enjoy it. 

The one I'm citing above is the ABT 12; https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/259/1708/

It's not quite as malty as the xmas ale; a little more yeasty which I like. They're both quads so really similar. 

I'm really enjoying this beer&soxtalk forum....thanks for the tips Ray!!!  I have made grocery list for Binny's to check out your selections and pickup another 4 pack of Iron Trooper as a backup in case I do not have your advanced beer palate :D

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

When craft beer begins to be mass-produced, ingredients like yeast, hops, and grains get tweaked and reduced to increase profits.

But I guess not everyone likes their beers to have stronger flavors or be less watered down.  Different strokes for different folks.

It's not even about that and you know it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 3

5 minutes ago, wegner said:

I'm really enjoying this beer&soxtalk forum....thanks for the tips Ray!!!  I have made grocery list for Binny's to check out your selections and pickup another 4 pack of Iron Trooper as a backup in case I do not have your advanced beer palate :D

I'll say, fingers crossed, I've recommended Fin Du Monde to a lot of light beer and IPA strictly drinkers, and they have really enjoyed it. It's a little more boozy, but it hides it really well and you don't taste it. I'm not a big fan of big hopped beers; I think that's a much more acquired taste, but beligums are yeastier so if that's a taste someone absolutely hates they may not like it. Check back and let me know what you think! I love that the best belgium in the world is made by Canadians; Unibroue in general makes a lot of great beers.

Before I got into my current career, I spent about 3 years running a restaurant group in Chicago and I probably sampled about 5,000 beers in that time; best perk of that job by far.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

18 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Goose Island, the fake craft beer.  Owned by Budweiser.  Trash.

I would venture a guess that they were making indedendent "craft beer" before you even knew the term.  Yes they were better before they were bought out but damn dude.  Look at how many craft brews are available at Sox Park.  I'm not even the biggest Goose Island fan but there's no reason to shit all over a local brand repping our Sox across the city.  

• Love 1

Just now, SouthWallace said:

I would venture a guess that they were making indedendent "craft beer" before you even knew the term.  Yes they were better before they were bought out but damn dude.  Look at how many craft brews are available at Sox Park.  I'm not even the biggest Goose Island fan but there's no reason to shit all over a local brand repping our Sox across the city.  

I’ve home-brewed beer for 20 years and know some brewers at a couple local breweries.  I know what I’m talking about.  But you are correct, there are actually even better craft brews already available at GRate.

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/ballpark/concessions/a-to-z-beer

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I don’t consider macro to be micro.  I’m a beer snob though, lol.  Far too many good true micros in Chicagoland area to drink this swill.

Noon Whistle

Hop Butcher

Phase Three

Old Irving

If you ever get out near St. Charles, give Riverlands a try. They are at least on par with the breweries you listed. Actually, they do distro a little bit so maybe you can find some of their stuff floating around.

St. Errant has also made some amazing brews.

6 minutes ago, South Sider said:

If you ever get out near St. Charles, give Riverlands a try. They are at least on par with the breweries you listed. Actually, they do distro a little bit so maybe you can find some of their stuff floating around.

St. Errant has also made some amazing brews.

They are both fucking amazing.  I drank both last week.  You know your beers, my friend.

6 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

They are both fucking amazing.  I drank both last week.  You know your beers, my friend.

I've tried a lot of beer in the past year, and got royally addicted to buying every DDH IPA I could get my hands on. It has given me the opportunity to taste some awesome beers, but there have been plenty of duds as well and frankly, I really can't afford to be dropping the coin I was dropping.

Heard my Binny's has some Gummy Banter in stock, though... might have to go get some of that because that's one of my all time favorites from Noon Whistle. 

1 hour ago, South Sider said:

I've tried a lot of beer in the past year, and got royally addicted to buying every DDH IPA I could get my hands on. It has given me the opportunity to taste some awesome beers, but there have been plenty of duds as well and frankly, I really can't afford to be dropping the coin I was dropping.

Heard my Binny's has some Gummy Banter in stock, though... might have to go get some of that because that's one of my all time favorites from Noon Whistle. 

I’m huge on NE and DDH IPAs.  Drinking Noon Whistle Gummy Vortex and Saint Errant Takers and Leavers right now.  I’ll have to grab some Gummy Banter as well.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

6 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I’m huge on NE and DDH IPAs.  Drinking Noon Whistle Gummy Vortex and Saint Errant Takers and Leavers right now.  I’ll have to grab some Gummy Banter as well.

Those arent bad. My preference is to stay below 25 IBU. I prefer the wheats and sours. Too many of the microbreweries lean towards hoppy, hoppier and hoppiest  for their brews. It's tough to find ones that dont do that.

18 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm a beer snob, I admit it and I know it's an asshole trait.

I drink Fin Du Monde religiously, Founders (pretty much anything, because for my money that's the best brewery in the world), and in general I love belgium tripels and quads. 

I don't enjoy drinking a lot of low ABV beers because of the calories and it makes me feel bloated and full. I like high ABV beers in general; have 2 or 3 and set for the night.

Triple Karm, Fin Du Monde, St Bernardus are three of my favorites. Fin du Monde the best beer in the world for my money and imo.

I think Goose Island is too passive, doesn't take a lot of chances/risks, and tend to make safe beers. I like Founders because they make amazing beer (CBS, KBS, All Day) but they also make a lot of creative beers and take chances. 

In terms of the Belgian styles I’d agree, but it’s hard to argue they don’t take chances with Bourbon County every year. The variants are getting stranger and stranger (and the reviews are getting worse, lol). 

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

Those arent bad. My preference is to stay below 25 IBU. I prefer the wheats and sours. Too many of the microbreweries lean towards hoppy, hoppier and hoppiest  for their brews. It's tough to find ones that dont do that.

Sours are great and they are becoming more and more popular.  Many microbrews are brewing them now.  But I’m one or two and done with them.  They destroy my taste buds.

And New England style is definitely still hoppy but not all about the insane IBUs of the original dank, piney IPA style.  It’s more juicy and tropical.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

20 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Goose Island is a pretty bland brewery overall but I'll definitely be buying this just because.

Yep.  Goose Island is good at making mediocre beers.  Outside of Bourbon Cty, and frankly Rev is kicking BCty's ass right now.

If anyone is looking for a year-round local to replace honkers there's WAY better offerings from Rev, Pipeworks, and Half Acre

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

Lots of sours beyond the Belgians.  Upland is getting good distro and check out Off Color if you haven't.  They make great Gose's and Berliner Weisse's.

For you lager folks, I'd skip Cross of Gold.  It's a more hoppy American lager.  Look to Metropolitan as they're bucking the trend and their whole lineup is lagers.  And even more so look at Dovetail.  Dovetail's helles lager is killer.

Edited by RTC

16 minutes ago, RTC said:

Yep.  Goose Island is good at making mediocre beers.  Outside of Bourbon Cty, and frankly Rev is kicking BCty's ass right now.

If anyone is looking for a year-round local to replace honkers there's WAY better offerings from Rev, Pipeworks, and Half Acre

Lots of sours beyond the Belgians.  Upland is getting good distro and check out Off Color if you haven't.  They make great Gose's and Berliner Weisse's.

For you lager folks, I'd skip Cross of Gold.  It's a more hoppy American lager.  Look to Metropolitan as they're bucking the trend and their whole lineup is lagers.  And even more so look at Dovetail.  Dovetail's helles lager is killer.

Agreed, all around.  There are so many better beers.  You may need to spend a few bucks more but it’s worth it.

Sours are hugely popular these days.  I love Gose’s and Berliner’s, especially in the summer.

And you’re right on Cross of Gold.  I’m a hop head and tend to be biased.  🤑

Edited by Moan4Yoan

20 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm a beer snob, I admit it and I know it's an asshole trait.

I drink Fin Du Monde religiously, Founders (pretty much anything, because for my money that's the best brewery in the world), and in general I love belgium tripels and quads. 

I don't enjoy drinking a lot of low ABV beers because of the calories and it makes me feel bloated and full. I like high ABV beers in general; have 2 or 3 and set for the night.

Triple Karm, Fin Du Monde, St Bernardus are three of my favorites. Fin du Monde the best beer in the world for my money and imo.

I think Goose Island is too passive, doesn't take a lot of chances/risks, and tend to make safe beers. I like Founders because they make amazing beer (CBS, KBS, All Day) but they also make a lot of creative beers and take chances. 

Three absolutely incredible beers. Tripel Karmeliet and La Fin are probably in my top 5. 

Not a huge fan of goose island beers. However, I had a few of their Next Coast IPAs at a bulls game and it was much better than their typical beers. I was pleasantly surprised.

I've been back on an Apex Predator binge lately. Not a fan of most sours, but Apex Predator (technically a farmhouse ale) has the perfect hint of sourness for me. Very quality beer. That said, in a Revolution fanboy through and through. Can never go wrong with Anti-hero. A little crazy is their seasonal Belgian IPA. One of my favorites. We have a beer tasting event during a Christmas party at work. An employee has a brother that is a brewery at Rev. He brought in about 15 different rare beers of theirs, all 10%+. It was incredible.

Edited by ron883

2 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

In terms of the Belgian styles I’d agree, but it’s hard to argue they don’t take chances with Bourbon County every year. The variants are getting stranger and stranger (and the reviews are getting worse, lol). 

Yeah; I had the Bourbon County this year for the first time.. and I cant believe people compare that to KBS and CBS. KBS and CBS are so much better its absurd. Heck, I'd probably rather have a Dragons Milk than Bourbon County.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah; I had the Bourbon County this year for the first time.. and I cant believe people compare that to KBS and CBS. KBS and CBS are so much better its absurd. Heck, I'd probably rather have a Dragons Milk than Bourbon County.

Agreed.

2 hours ago, RTC said:

Off color, troublesome is outstanding.

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The last two years have been subpar. It’s the OG though. There have been versions of it that are some of the best beers of all time. Keep trying it, they’ll nail it every few years. 

keep in mind it isn’t a coffee stout base either, so comparing it to the founders stouts isn’t really apples to apples.