Just Because The Twins signed Donaldson.......

Soxsi75

..........I don't think hurts the White Sox that much. Not going to say it isn't a good pick up by the Twins because the guy can play. But what have they done to improve their pitching? They have Berrios and Odorizzi. But after that, they have plenty of questions and no sure things. Their bullpen is fine. But not lights out and can go either way. As many times bullpens can. We have Giolito to start with and have added Keuchel and Gonzales for the back of the rotation. And if Kopech is healthy and lives up to expectations, and Cease does, and with adding Cishek to go along with Colome, Bummer and Marshall.....then our pitching can very easily be much stronger then theirs. And with or without Donaldson, it's going to be who pitches the best that will decide things between us and the Twins. We already know Minnesota can hit. Again, with or without Donaldson. And now with our young established hitters, ( Moncada, Abreu, Anderson), and with our acquisitions, (Grandall, Encarnaciaon and somewhat Mazzara, ) And our newest young players, ( hopefully a next step for Jimenez, and Robert,) We'll hit too. So we both can hit. It will be the pitching that decides things. And Donaldson won't help them much there.  Just being optimistic. 

I never understood why Sox fans were jumping off the ledge when the Donaldson signing was announced. Sure he’s a great player but he’s on the older side and has been more injury prone in recent years. He helps them for sure but by no means did that signing clinch the division for the Twins. The Sox have as good of a chance as anyone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cjgalloway said:

Donaldson >> Than any White Sox edition this offseason. He's a fantastic player.. The goal is that in years 3-4 he hurts them.  But he makes them better next year for sure. It just hurts our chances in 2020.

I would say he’s right on par with Grandal.

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I never understood why Sox fans were jumping off the ledge when the Donaldson signing was announced. Sure he’s a great player but he’s on the older side and has been more injury prone in recent years. He helps them for sure but by no means did that signing clinch the division for the Twins. The Sox have as good of a chance as anyone.

He not only improves their lineup but their infield defense just got alot stronger as well. Personally, I'm going to miss watching Sano and his lack of range and stone hands at 3B.

9 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Sox definitely have a good chance. Twins have a monster line up but sox lineup is pretty good too and rotation should be better.

There is uncertainty in the sox rotation but even more in the twins rotation

Exactly! That was my point when I started this post! Thank you!

16 hours ago, cjgalloway said:

Donaldson >> Than any White Sox edition this offseason. He's a fantastic player.. The goal is that in years 3-4 he hurts them.  But he makes them better next year for sure. It just hurts our chances in 2020.

No, I don't think it really does. Because of the pitching. Like I said in my post. Where did the Twins improve their pitching? We have plenty of "ifs" in ours, I know. But with what we've added to the pitching and what we have potentially coming back from injury... But with or without Donaldson, the Twins can hit. But now so can we. It WILL be the pitching that decides things. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Agreed.  Very close on WAR but Donaldson (34) is 3 years older than Grandal (31).

I think Grandal will have a greater impact on the White Sox than Donaldson will on the Twins. But not for your reasons. Grandal was a 2.5 War last year and a career 2 War. Donaldson was a 6 War last year and a career 5. Certainly Grandal is younger but as a catcher the difference may be negated by wear and tear. 

I think Grandal could have a major impact on our young pitchers which won't be reflected in his War but will be in theirs Just a veteran presence as well as a catcher who can keep them steady. The other major factor is he adds a LH bat to a lineup that desperately needed one. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 7:00 AM, SoxAce said:

He not only improves their lineup but their infield defense just got alot stronger as well. Personally, I'm going to miss watching Sano and his lack of range and stone hands at 3B.

Twins made two upgrades with this move and it is significant. There will be regression but the Sox usually play poorly against Minnie and Paul.