The Beer Thread

hogan873

The thread about the Goose Island Sox beer seemed to generate some good conversation around beer.  And since I'm a big fan of beer, I figured why not start a thread to discuss this wonderful beverage.

I call myself a beer snob, but I'm not against "slumming" with Miller Lite at a party or when destroying a plate of wings.  I've tried about 600 different beers, and when I talk about this people ask what my favorite beer ever is.  That's hard to answer, mainly because it depends on what I'm in the mood for.  However, a few exceptional ones are Founders Breakfast Stout, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, and Three Floyd's Zombie Dust.  Also, Hoegaarden is one I can always drink.

I'm loving the numerous craft beer joints popping up over the past couple years.  Around Will County there are quite a few really good ones with some great beers.  A few standouts are Mad Hatchet, Elder Brewing, and Werk Force.

I used to track all of my beers on RateBeer, but someone recently turned me onto Untapped, which is basically Facebook for beer lovers.  Anyone else use Untapped?

Now I'm thirsty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

The thread about the Goose Island Sox beer seemed to generate some good conversation around beer.  And since I'm a big fan of beer, I figured why not start a thread to discuss this wonderful beverage.

I call myself a beer snob, but I'm not against "slumming" with Miller Lite at a party or when destroying a plate of wings.  I've tried about 600 different beers, and when I talk about this people ask what my favorite beer ever is.  That's hard to answer, mainly because it depends on what I'm in the mood for.  However, a few exceptional ones are Founders Breakfast Stout, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, and Three Floyd's Zombie Dust.  Also, Hoegaarden is one I can always drink.

I'm loving the numerous craft beer joints popping up over the past couple years.  Around Will County there are quite a few really good ones with some great beers.  A few standouts are Mad Hatchet, Elder Brewing, and Werk Force.

I used to track all of my beers on RateBeer, but someone recently turned me onto Untapped, which is basically Facebook for beer lovers.  Anyone else use Untapped?

Now I'm thirsty.

Great idea starting this thread...I have been writing out a shopping list to bring to Binny's from all the suggestions on the Goose Island Sox beer thread!!  I'll add Zombie Dust to the list :cheers

1 hour ago, wegner said:

Great idea starting this thread...I have been writing out a shopping list to bring to Binny's from all the suggestions on the Goose Island Sox beer thread!!  I'll add Zombie Dust to the list :cheers

If you like sours or a good gose, all of the ones made by Destihl from urbana and Bloomington, are excellent and can be found at binnys. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, ptatc said:

If you like sours or a good gose, all of the ones made by Destihl from urbana and Bloomington, are excellent and can be found at binnys. 

Destihl makes some great sours.  You should try some Berliner Weiss’s from Noon Whistle in Lombard as well.  They can also be found at Binny’s, even though their Gummy line (New England IPA style) is far more popular.

My favorite standard Gose for the summer with a nice salty taste to it is Anderson Valley Brewing The Kimmie, The Yink and The Holy Gose Ale.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

On 1/24/2020 at 5:46 PM, ptatc said:

Had two Destihl sours yesterday.  Here Gose Nothin’ was good, and Synchopathic was really good.  I didn’t know what to expect from a dry hopped sour, but I was impressed.

13 hours ago, hogan873 said:

Had two Destihl sours yesterday.  Here Gose Nothin’ was good, and Synchopathic was really good.  I didn’t know what to expect from a dry hopped sour, but I was impressed.

You should try going to their tap house/restaurant in Bloomington.  The beer is even better on tap and their food is excellent as well. It's not too far if you live in joliet.

I'll start by saying I don't drink a lot of beer. I am much more of a wine person. I basically only drink beer on vacation, and when I do, I drink mostly Belgians and preferably Tripels.

Pollyanna Bourbon Barrel-Aged Fun Size (Lemont, IL)

Adelberts Tripel B (Austin, TX)

Austin Eastciders Extra Brut (cheating, but a great cider - Austin, TX)

Deschutes Obsidian Stout (Portland, OR)

Delirium Tremens (Belgium)

Oud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille (Belgium)

Jambe-de-Bois Belgian Revolution Triple (Belgium)

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, The Beast said:

It is what I call, the beer of the gods. Tastes like bananas.

The banana flavor comes from the higher level if esters produced during their brewing process. 

Edited by ptatc

12 hours ago, ptatc said:

You should try going to their tap house/restaurant in Bloomington.  The beer is even better on tap and their food is excellent as well. It's not too far if you live in joliet.

Destihl is amazing.  The joint and the food. Great service and more like a fine dining experience than the usual brewery with food service.

Another great place to try here in the suburbs with great beer and food is More Brewery in Villa Park, although the awesome head brewer left to start Phase Three.

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

The banana flavor comes from the higher level if esters produced during their brewing process. 

Not my favorite style, simply because they all mostly taste the same...  like banana.  I also am not a huge fan of Pilsners because they mostly taste similar to me.

12 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Destihl is amazing.  The joint and the food. Great service and more like a fine dining experience than the usual brewery with food service.

Another great place to try here in the suburbs with great beer and food is More Brewery in Villa Park, although the awesome head brewer left to start Phase Three.

Agreed on this. There's a place in Austin that sells a ton of Destihl. Good stuff.

• 2 months later...
On 1/24/2020 at 2:34 PM, hogan873 said:

Now I'm thirsty.

I was at the store yesterday and walked past the craft beer section (ok, maybe deliberately) and saw Zombie Dust which I remembered had been mentioned on this thread.  Never had it before but enjoyed a cold one last night.  That is an excellent beer!!  Thanks for the suggestion.  Cheers and Safe Stay Everybody!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wegner said:

I was at the store yesterday and walked past the craft beer section (ok, maybe deliberately) and saw Zombie Dust which I remembered had been mentioned on this thread.  Never had it before but enjoyed a cold one last night.  That is an excellent beer!!  Thanks for the suggestion.  Cheers and Safe Stay Everybody!!

Gumballhead is actually my favorite 3 Floyds.

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Gumballhead is actually my favorite 3 Floyds.

I actually am going to make a stop at Binnys for some red wine for my wife...I'll look for Gumballhead while I'm there....also bought the new Sox ale yesterday... Been enjoying a cold one in the evenings of lockdown

45 minutes ago, wegner said:

I actually am going to make a stop at Binnys for some red wine for my wife...I'll look for Gumballhead while I'm there....also bought the new Sox ale yesterday... Been enjoying a cold one in the evenings of lockdown

The Goose Island Sox Ale is pretty good.  Drinking it makes me sad and hopeful at the same time.  I hope I can enjoy one (or three) while watching a Sox game within the next few months.

4 hours ago, hogan873 said:

The Goose Island Sox Ale is pretty good.  Drinking it makes me sad and hopeful at the same time.  I hope I can enjoy one (or three) while watching a Sox game within the next few months.

Enjoying my 1st Sox Ale now while watching Rogue One...wish I was watching a live Sox game instead.  They'll be backing eventually.  In the meantime I'll just say a silent toast to Farmio and fondly remember "SOX WIN, SOX WIN!!"

• Like 1

Tip for those of you just discovering Zombie Dust: check the bottling date.  That beer drops off faster than just about any other beer.  It's not the same 4 weeks after bottling as it is fresh.  Still good, but not as epic.  Toppling Goliath had this issue (and didn't seem to get it) when they started shipping Pseudo Sue to Chicago.  A lot of it was 2-3 months old and people didn't understand what all the hype was about once they actually tried it.  Completely different animal when fresh.  Fresh Sue is amazing.

Which, in a nutshell, is the embarrassment of riches in Chicago. You can regularly find pale ales and IPAs that have been canned in the last 7-10 days from the likes of Mikerphone, Phase Three, etc, and even picking stuff up from the dojo at Pipeworks.  That said, some of the unfiltered IPAs actually could use a little more time.  I find a lot of the stuff from Hop Butcher to have too much hop burn when fresh and really hits a sweet spot 2-3 weeks out.

• Like 1