The Beer Thread

hogan873

On 4/4/2020 at 12:14 PM, RTC said:

Tip for those of you just discovering Zombie Dust: check the bottling date.  That beer drops off faster than just about any other beer.  It's not the same 4 weeks after bottling as it is fresh.  Still good, but not as epic.  Toppling Goliath had this issue (and didn't seem to get it) when they started shipping Pseudo Sue to Chicago.  A lot of it was 2-3 months old and people didn't understand what all the hype was about once they actually tried it.  Completely different animal when fresh.  Fresh Sue is amazing.

Which, in a nutshell, is the embarrassment of riches in Chicago. You can regularly find pale ales and IPAs that have been canned in the last 7-10 days from the likes of Mikerphone, Phase Three, etc, and even picking stuff up from the dojo at Pipeworks.  That said, some of the unfiltered IPAs actually could use a little more time.  I find a lot of the stuff from Hop Butcher to have too much hop burn when fresh and really hits a sweet spot 2-3 weeks out.

Agreed, 100%.  Especially the Double Dry-Hopped (DDH) IPAs.  They need to age.  I just grabbed some More DDH Dusty this last weekend.  When it’s too green (fresh), it’s a bit harsh.

4 hours ago, kevo880 said:

Yeah man, Greenbush is great, especially the starchicken. About 15-20 min from my hometown.

I had it in a bar in Saugatuck a couple of summers back and thought it was great too.  Is it available in Illinois?

18 hours ago, wegner said:

I had it in a bar in Saugatuck a couple of summers back and thought it was great too.  Is it available in Illinois?

Not sure how far their reach is at this point. Living in CO now and it’s not available here.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Side note.  Ranger Creek Brewery and Distillery (beer, whiskey,  and vodka) hired my improv group for a show.  Really cool setting,  great people, it was a good show. 

I've always enjoyed their beers,  and I picked up a bottle of their bourbon but haven't had a chance to try it yet. 

11 hours ago, The Beast said:

Any wheat beer suggestions with some flavor?

You can’t go wrong with Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbeer. That’s my absolute favorite wheat beer. If you’re looking for something local Dovetail does a good traditional hefeweizen

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Beast said:

Any wheat beer suggestions with some flavor?

Depends on what flavor you want. Do you want a heavy banana/clove flavor? or do you want a hopped up wheat? What do you consider a wheat beer lacking flavor?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, G&T said:

Depends on what flavor you want. Do you want a heavy banana/clove flavor? or do you want a hopped up wheat? What do you consider a wheat beer lacking flavor?

Thanks to all for the suggestions, I’ve got them on my list for Binny’s. I have had plenty of hopped up wheat beers and I have had the banana flavors.

I have had wheat beers that don’t really have a fruit flavor or much of any flavor before. Since I am going to Binny’s and am putting in a six pack for a virtual beer tasting, where we get one of each beer for the tasting, I wanted something different and good. I like Gumballhead but am always looking for something different that is lighter and has some flavor to it. I’m open to other possibilities as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Two words:

Lagunita’s Waldos

Totally old school, west coast DIPA (they call it a triple).  I wait until April every year, and every year I think “man, nobody makes beer like this anymore”.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RTC said:

Two words:

Lagunita’s Waldos

Totally old school, west coast DIPA (they call it a triple).  I wait until April every year, and every year I think “man, nobody makes beer like this anymore”.

I’m going to have to try to find this.  I loved the juicy craze for a bit but I think it’s gotten old.  Everything is a DDH IPA, it seems like the old regular IPA and west coast IPA is hard to find these days.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2021 at 8:09 PM, SexiAlexei said:

I’m going to have to try to find this.  I loved the juicy craze for a bit but I think it’s gotten old.  Everything is a DDH IPA, it seems like the old regular IPA and west coast IPA is hard to find these days.

The other one for you to try would be Three Floyd’s Dreadnaught.  Few times per year only, but you might be able to find some of the most recent batch still hanging around.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RTC said:

The other one for you to try would be Three Floyd’s Dreadnaught.  Few times per year only, but you might be able to find some of the most recent batch still hanging around.

Thanks, I have definitely seen it around, but wasn't sure what it was, I'll check it out for sure.