The Beer Thread

hogan873

9 hours ago, Texsox said:

I'm returning from Wisconsin. I don't get the Spotted Cow worship. Actually,  I have a clue. The correlation between ordering a Spotted Cow and wearing a Cub's cap was almost 100%.

Easy now with the Spotted Cow/Cubs hat correlation.

Seriously, though, for me it's about the availability of Spotted Cow.  It's a good beer that you can only get in Wisconsin, so there's something special about it when you're able to have a few.  I might get Spotted Cow once or twice a year, and I really enjoy it.  Maybe if I could always get it I'd feel differently.  It's sort of like Yuengling, which is more available than Spotted Cow but not around here.  If I'm out east, I always pick up a 6-pack or so.  It's not a great beer, but again it's about how often I get to drink it.

30 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Seriously, though, for me it's about the availability of Spotted Cow.  It's a good beer that you can only get in Wisconsin, so there's something special about it when you're able to have a few.  I might get Spotted Cow once or twice a year, and I really enjoy it.  Maybe if I could always get it I'd feel differently.  It's sort of like Yuengling, which is more available than Spotted Cow but not around here.  If I'm out east, I always pick up a 6-pack or so.  It's not a great beer, but again it's about how often I get to drink it.

It makes a great chaser for a bloody Mary. Spotted Cow has a great marketing plan. Limited availability in a tourist area. The name link of cows and Wisconsin. A totally neutral flavor so if you buy a pitcher no one can really complain. And it's at literally every bar we went to. And my wife bought a 12 pack to give our kids back in Texas.  

It's drinking memories. I'll knock down an Old Style and Miller High Life while I'm here. I had my share of Spotted Cow here. It was always the same. What do you have on tap? Usually a boring mix of national brands then a Leiny Summer Shandy or Spotted Cow. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Texsox said:

I'm returning from Wisconsin. I don't get the Spotted Cow worship. Actually,  I have a clue. The correlation between ordering a Spotted Cow and wearing a Cub's cap was almost 100%.

You are wise.  It’s nothing special, lots of hype.  It falls in the same category with Fat Tire and Blue Moon.  Mediocre beers with great marketing , but I always try to show people there’s much better beers in those respective styles.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hogan873 said:

This is a good comparison. Is it the best beer? No, but it’s good and easy drinking and only available up north. I love a Yuengling for the same reason. Cheap and delicious that I’d drink a lot of it were available here. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, RTC said:

You are wise.  It’s nothing special, lots of hype.  It falls in the same category with Fat Tire and Blue Moon.  Mediocre beers with great marketing , but I always try to show people there’s much better beers in those respective styles.  

Blue Moon is a "safe" beer for me.  I'm a huge craft beer fan and will usually try something new any chance I get.  But, if I'm having some wings or a big steak for dinner, I'll happily order a couple Blue Moons to wash it all down.  And it's one of those beers that is MUCH better on draft than bottled.  I rarely buy it for the house.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Texsox said:

I agree. Spotted cow is my least favorite of their beer. However,  I love the brewery. If you like sours, they have a wide variety of good ones. If you go to the brewery itself they sell R and D beers in limited runs to test them for the public. Some of my favorites have come from that.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ptatc said:

I agree. Spotted cow is my least favorite of their beer. However,  I love the brewery. If you like sours, they have a wide variety of good ones. If you go to the brewery itself they sell R and D beers in limited runs to test them for the public. Some of my favorites have come from that.

Yes, it’s been hard that they continue to be closed. Wisconsin Belgian Red, Dancing Man and Kid Kolsch are also solid. 3 Sheeps in Sheboygan is my other favorite Wisconsin brewery, brews well across many styles.

For local breweries, Revolution and Spiteful are my two favorites here. Dovetail is great for OG beer styles.

We are blessed in Chicago with so any great options. I like hitting up most styles beyond the recent hyped juice box / sippy cup styles (Hazy, Pastry Stouts, Kettle Sours, Slushies, etc.).

Sox (here) and Beer Advocate are my lone two “social media” accounts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2021 at 9:24 PM, Texsox said:

Agreed. I was in Wisconsin last week, and finally got to try Spotted Cow on tap.  It seemed like the best choice of the limited draft options, but nothing special.  I also tried Moon Man, which was far superior.