Soxfest news and notes

Buehrle>Wood

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Mind elaborating on what he said?

Tough to summarize. But it was first time I’ve ever heard him, not even sure I remember an article interview after his new role.

Hes very enthusiastic and I appreciated that he got really wonky while explaining things very clearly.

He covered a couple times the difficulty scouting prospects across different maturity curves, such as a prospect from Vanderbilt who is already on a mlb nutrition and hitting plan be a guy at Indiana state. 

He brought up that Gladney was drafted by them largely because he was an EV darling at a workout they held.

He said they would not favor college over high school under him (and I believe him).

I appreciate how available Hostetler made himself to blogs and media, but he was a bit arrogant and loved to mostly talk about how much they knew about guys. Shirley loved to talk about the process of evaluating guys. He was super interesting.

This from Y2Jimmy summed up my thoughts 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Tough to summarize. But it was first time I’ve ever heard him, not even sure I remember an article interview after his new role.

Hes very enthusiastic and I appreciated that he got really wonky while explaining things very clearly.

He covered a couple times the difficulty scouting prospects across different maturity curves, such as a prospect from Vanderbilt who is already on a mlb nutrition and hitting plan be a guy at Indiana state. 

He brought up that Gladney was drafted by them largely because he was an EV darling at a workout they held.

He said they would not favor college over high school under him (and I believe him).

I appreciate how available Hostetler made himself to blogs and media, but he was a bit arrogant and loved to mostly talk about how much they knew about guys. Shirley loved to talk about the process of evaluating guys. He was super interesting.

This from Y2Jimmy summed up my thoughts 

Nice I asked about this like 2 months ago on here thinking we were so far behind in that.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Tony said:

After he made 20+ posts about Yolmer being a SoxFest surprise (based on NO information), he needs something else to complain/b****/whine/beat a dead horse about. 

Fathom was joking about it as well.  Others too.  Yolmer has become a White Sox meme due to the Gatorade and Ricky’s love for him.

10 hours ago, greg775 said:

I wish those who hate (OK, dislike, didn't want to sign, etc) would actually see him in action at such event. They'd see how special it is to have him in our clubhouse.

9 hours ago, wegner said:

Aside from the idea of signing him to that extension, I love the stories I have seen of his work with Abreu's Amigos.  Jose seems to be just a geniunely great guy....our generation's Minnie Minoso.

Just having him and others like Tim Anderson who give their time to the community makes it even easier to root hard for this squad.

8 hours ago, JoshPR said:

People may not like the contract. But Abreu brings soo much more. The PR he brings is outstanding. That's one thing I can say about jerry that he rewards his people well. I know its not the best way and sometimes its the wrong people but the sox ain't losing nothing with Abreu. I hope they can be good these next 5-6 years. Abreu deserves that. I really wanna see what Abreu can do with protection in the lineup and I hope he realizes its not all him this year and he can just relax and let it flow. Abreu can be a dangerous hitter.

These posts are just so wonderful . You are all getting likes from me. There's so much more to why Abreu got that contract and it has like $4M in deferred money from 2023-26. I'm sure Reinsdorf thinks he was worth every penny of it ,Abreu loves the White Sox more than just about anything and wasn't afraid to show it . He is Mr.White Sox and if you can't deal with that I feel bad for you. He has done everything in his power to make this team better.

The more I defend him the more I learn about him and just how influential he is to the younger guys not only on being a better baseball player but being a better person and representing the White Sox in a positive way.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He is Mr.White Sox and if you can't deal with that I feel bad for you. He has done everything in his power to make this team better.

I know it. I defended him all year again as I'm a fan that not only thinks he's a great clubhouse guy but I like the numbers he's put up. Yes the old antiquated BA, HR, RBI. Me likey.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Sox fans contributing to the notion that their fans only care when the Cubs lose.  Ugh.

Completely agree.

Why can Cubs fans say "You guys are jealous of us, our ballpark, are so obsessed with us, blah, blah, blah"?

BECAUSE THEY CAN!

Memo to Real White Sox Fans:

1. Focus on our team

2. Stop laughing when the Cubs lose

3. Stop wearing T Shirts with anything "Cubs"  or "Anti-Cubs" related

4. Stop having bumper stickers on your vehicle that say "Cubs" or some "Anti-Cubs" variation

5. Stop holding L Flags

6. Stop taking pictures in the Bartman seat

It used to be fun calling them "Loveable Losers" and throwing "wait until next year" at them, but 2016 changed that. Please accept this and move on with your lives. When you give the Cubs status in your life, it enables their fans to punk you and others like you. When I was out with friends watching Game 4 of the 2016 World Series, Kipnis hit that bomb, and it looked like an epic collapse was almost done, it took everything inside me to remain calm and quietly click bottles with my only fellow Sox Fan in the group, but that is how Sox Fans need to behave. Let them run their mouths. Let them bring hot girls to Wrigley, drink beer, and stare at the ivy. Let them wear their "Cardinals Fans Take it in Their Pujols" or "Fukudome ... That's What She Said Last Night" T-Shirts. Who cares. Just cheer for your team and treat the Cubs like any other team in sports who you have no rooting interest in. Do that, and their fans just become noise. Obnoxious noise, but just noise. YOU ARE BETTER THAN THAT!

All I can say is that I am not jealous of anything related to the Cubs and that includes their over-rated ball park.  But then again Sox fans shouldn't obsess about them. On the other hand, Cub fans have become more bitter and angry since 2016.  You would think with their long-awaited championship, Cub fans would be on the mellow side. Instead, they feel they have to lash out at Sox fans even more.  Their anger and bitterness is palatable. Why is that? Lovable losers doesn't work anymore? Someone got poison ivy from the ivy?

By the way, does anyone know where I can get an "L" flag?

23 minutes ago, YouGottaBeBleepingMe said:

Completely agree.

Why can Cubs fans say "You guys are jealous of us, our ballpark, are so obsessed with us, blah, blah, blah"?

BECAUSE THEY CAN!

Memo to Real White Sox Fans:

1. Focus on our team

2. Stop laughing when the Cubs lose

3. Stop wearing T Shirts with anything "Cubs"  or "Anti-Cubs" related

4. Stop having bumper stickers on your vehicle that say "Cubs" or some "Anti-Cubs" variation

5. Stop holding L Flags

6. Stop taking pictures in the Bartman seat

It used to be fun calling them "Loveable Losers" and throwing "wait until next year" at them, but 2016 changed that. Please accept this and move on with your lives. When you give the Cubs status in your life, it enables their fans to punk you and others like you. When I was out with friends watching Game 4 of the 2016 World Series, Kipnis hit that bomb, and it looked like an epic collapse was almost done, it took everything inside me to remain calm and quietly click bottles with my only fellow Sox Fan in the group, but that is how Sox Fans need to behave. Let them run their mouths. Let them bring hot girls to Wrigley, drink beer, and stare at the ivy. Let them wear their "Cardinals Fans Take it in Their Pujols" or "Fukudome ... That's What She Said Last Night" T-Shirts. Who cares. Just cheer for your team and treat the Cubs like any other team in sports who you have no rooting interest in. Do that, and their fans just become noise. Obnoxious noise, but just noise. YOU ARE BETTER THAN THAT!

I think there is nothing wrong with Sox fans hating the Cubs and going out of their way to show it. For the longest time the thought was Sox fans were obsessed with the Cubs, Cubs fans didn’t care about the Sox. It was BS. Go to a Cubs/Mets game at Wrigley in the summer. Walk by the t shirt stands a block or two from Wrigley Field. You will see them well stocked with Sox Suck and the 83 logo with SUX t shirts,

Since the Sox have rarely played meaningful baseball the past 50 years, a case can be made the Cubs are their biggest rivals. They do play them every year. They are in competition for the Chicago area casual baseball fan. Perhaps the pendulum can swing a bit now. If the Cubs don’t get on Comcast, it could really help the Sox if they start playing well. The Cubs have already priced themselves out of a lot of fans options. Not having them on the regular TV for a large portion of those same people could lead them south.

As far as this picture. I thought it was pretty clever. Eloy and Cease being White Sox is a Cubs loss. All the more reason for an L flag.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think there is nothing wrong with Sox fans hating the Cubs and going out of their way to show it. For the longest time the thought was Sox fans were obsessed with the Cubs, Cubs fans didn’t care about the Sox. It was BS. Go to a Cubs/Mets game at Wrigley in the summer. Walk by the t shirt stands a block or two from Wrigley Field. You will see them well stocked with Sox Suck and the 83 logo with SUX t shirts,

Since the Sox have rarely played meaningful baseball the past 50 years, a case can be made the Cubs are their biggest rivals. They do play them every year. They are in competition for the Chicago area casual baseball fan. Perhaps the pendulum can swing a bit now. If the Cubs don’t get on Comcast, it could really help the Sox if they start playing well. The Cubs have already priced themselves out of a lot of fans options. Not having them on the regular TV for a large portion of those same people could lead them south.

As far as this picture. I thought it was pretty clever. Eloy and Cease being White Sox is a Cubs loss. All the more reason for an L flag.

While you are correct on some of that, that is some good revisionist history. The Sox finished first or second in the division 20 times in the past 50 years and 16 in the past 30 . While that means to 70s and 80s were very lean, it's hardly what I would call rare. In those years they were in the race for most of the season. Those were meaningful games.

The Cubs on the other hand finished first or second only 13 times in that same time frame. They've only very recently been better. In the past 30 years its been 8 for the Cubs compared to 16 for the Sox.

The comparitive records and team quality hasn't been the  issue. It's been the Cubs on WGN and the Sox stupid idea to try sportsvision in the early 80s, which was bad idea at the time but all teams are doing now.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 1:52 PM, bmags said:

Mike Shirley was SUPER impressive 

You weren't kidding. Fegan article with ton's of Shirley quotes. Lots of great information inside.

https://theathletic.com/1563110/2020/01/27/we-look-at-the-numbers-every-day-white-sox-tout-technology-usage-in-scouting-player-development/?source=shared-article

• Like 1