Opening Day 26 Man Roster Discussion

SoxBlanco

I want to create this thread and update the original post as we make spring training decisions or if we make any more minor moves. As we stand right now, help me out on what the opening day roster will look like. Don't worry about things like who is the starter and who is the bench option between Garcia and Mendick. I didn't put much thought into that. I just want to try and nail down the 26 guys. Will we go with a 5 man bench or an 8 man bullpen? I realize that most of this is pretty set already, so this might turn into a bullpen discussion, but that's alright. 

Starters:

1. C - Grandal
  2. 1B - Abreu
  3. 2B - Garcia
  4. 3B - Moncada
  5. SS - Anderson
  6. LF - Eloy
  7. CF - Robert
  8. RF - Mazara
  9. DH - Encarnacion

Bench:

1. McCann
  2. Mendick
  3. Engel
  4. Cuthbert

Rotation:

1. Giolito
  2. Keuchel
  3. Lopez
  4. Gonzalez
  5. Cease

Bullpen:

1. Colome
  2. Bummer
  3. Cishek
  4. Herrera
  5. Fry
  6. Marshall
  7. Cordero
  8. Fulmer
Edited by SoxBlanco
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I want to create this thread and update the original post as we make spring training decisions or if we make any more minor moves. As we stand right now, help me out on what the opening day roster will look like. Don't worry about things like who is the starter and who is the bench option between Garcia and Mendick. I didn't put much thought into that. I just want to try and nail down the 26 guys. Will we go with a 5 man bench or an 8 man bullpen? I realize that most of this is pretty set already, so this might turn into a bullpen discussion, but that's alright. 

Starters:

1. C - Grandal
  2. 1B - Abreu
  3. 2B - Garcia
  4. 3B - Moncada
  5. SS - Anderson
  6. LF - Eloy
  7. CF - Robert
  8. RF - Mazara
  9. DH - Encarnacion

Bench:

1. McCann
  2. Mendick
  3. Engel
  4. Collins
  5. ???????

Rotation:

1. Giolito
  2. Keuchel
  3. Lopez
  4. Gonzalez
  5. Cease

Bullpen:

1. Colome
  2. Bummer
  3. Cishek
  4. Herrera
  5. Fry
  6. Marshall
  7. Cordero
  8. ???????

Would be awesome if Burdi can show he's ready.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

What does your bench look like right now, assuming Garcia starts at 2B?

As of now, I'd guess McCann, Engel, Mendick and then someone they could DFA for Madrigal's spot like Cheslor Cuthbert or Andrew Romine, someone with flexibility. 

Fortunately, I think they make one more move and we see neither of those guys on the roster and Mendick is the one sent down for Madrigal.

Edited by soxfan2014

7 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...ok bro.  I think the 2006 & 1994 White Sox would beg to differ.

Assuming Madrigal is on the OD lineup...potential All Star at every position accept RF.  Two and arguably 3 five tool players along with AL batting & rbi champs.  All Star catcher as the backup.  Eight people in the OD lineup with 30+ home run potential.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Fulmer will be last guy in the pen to start the year IMO. Unless his ST is straight garbage, they’ll give him one last chance.

I agree. I just wasn’t sure if it was possible that we use that last spot for a 5 man bench. I’m going to put Fulmer in there for now. 

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

Assuming Madrigal is on the OD lineup...potential All Star at every position accept RF.  Two and arguably 3 five tool players along with AL batting & rbi champs.  All Star catcher as the backup.  Eight people in the OD lineup with 30+ home run potential.

2020 OD lineup is dripping with potential and is super exciting, but 94 was coming off a playoff berth and had prime MVP on his way to the HOF Frank Thomas, and 06 was a World Series Champion that added a future HOFer Jim Thome.  I am crazy excited for this season, but 2020 has a lot of proving to do to be mentioned along with those two teams. 

Edited by SouthWallace
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

2020 OD lineup is dripping with potential and is super exciting, but 94 was coming off a playoff berth and had prime MVP on his way to the HOF Frank Thimas, and 06 was a World Series Champion that added a future HOFer Jim Thome.  I am crazy excited for this season, but 2020 has a lot of proving to do to be mentioned along with those two teams. 

No doubt...we haven't won anything yet.  Thomas and Thome were exciting but I wouldn't bet against Robert and Moncada since they are 5 tool players...something you can't say about Thomas or Thome.  I'm not knocking WS legends...just saying this new group can literally be the best of all time.  Time will tell but I am very optimistic.

• Like 2

Opening Day:

1. C - Grandal
  2. 1B - Abreu
  3. 2B - Yet to be signed vet utility INF
  4. 3B - Moncada
  5. SS - Anderson
  6. LF - Eloy
  7. CF - Robert
  8. RF - Mazara
  9. DH - Encarnacion

Bench:

1. McCann
  2. Mendick*
  3. Engel
  4. Leury

Rotation:

1. Giolito
  2.  Keuchel
  3. Lopez
  4. Gonzalez
  5. Cease

Bullpen:

1. Colome
  2. Bummer
  3. Cishek
  4. Herrera
  5. Fry
  6. Marshall
  7. Cordero
  8. Fulmer*

Collins starts in AAA to get everyday reps at C. 

* - Mendick probably goes down when Madrigal comes up. 

* - Fulmer gets one last shot and will be the first arm to go when they need someone else. 

Edited by SouthWallace
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, poppysox said:

No doubt...we haven't won anything yet.  Thomas and Thome were exciting but I wouldn't bet against Robert and Moncada since they are 5 tool players...something you can't say about Thomas or Thome.  I'm not knocking WS legends...just saying this new group can literally be the best of all time.  Time will tell but I am very optimistic.

I am right there with you!  Can't wait for Opening Day!

Hadn't really thought hard about it until I saw it in writing here, but Collins serves absolutely no purpose at all on this roster.  Among EE, Jose, Grandal, McCann, Mazara, and Eloy they've already got six guys who can DH at times, 2 Cs, and three at 1B.  Roster spot would be better spent on a guy like Holt who could provide solid fill in around the diamond when someone inevitably goes down for a few weeks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RTC said:

Hadn't really thought hard about it until I saw it in writing here, but Collins serves absolutely no purpose at all on this roster.  Among EE, Jose, Grandal, McCann, Mazara, and Eloy they've already got six guys who can DH at times, 2 Cs, and three at 1B.  Roster spot would be better spent on a guy like Holt who could provide solid fill in around the diamond when someone inevitably goes down for a few weeks. 

Yeah, Unless they go with only 7 in the pen, there just isn't a spot for Collins.  And even if he made the roster he's riding the bench a ton, which doesn't exactly do him any good.  

9 minutes ago, RTC said:

I agree. I prefer him in AAA where he can continue to get consistent playing time. But at this moment, I just don’t know who to put as the last bench spot. 

51 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

2020 OD lineup is dripping with potential and is super exciting, but 94 was coming off a playoff berth and had prime MVP on his way to the HOF Frank Thimas, and 06 was a World Series Champion that added a future HOFer Jim Thome.  I am crazy excited for this season, but 2020 has a lot of proving to do to be mentioned along with those two teams. 

100% this.  I’m pumped for the 2020 team and I think with the right development they can be a monster, but more likely than not we are a year away before they enter the “best OD roster ever” discussions with those other clubs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

No doubt the OD roster is exciting and full of potential, but notice how you didn’t hype up the pitching staff?  While the staff may be talented, there are still a ton of question marks and as a result the overall team isn’t really close to those other two OD rosters I mentioned.

1 hour ago, SouthWallace said:

Opening Day:

1. C - Grandal
  2. 1B - Abreu
  3. 2B - Yet to be signed vet utility INF
  4. 3B - Moncada
  5. SS - Anderson
  6. LF - Eloy
  7. CF - Robert
  8. RF - Mazara
  9. DH - Encarnacion

Bench:

1. McCann
  2. Mendick*
  3. Engel
  4. Leury

Rotation:

1. Giolito
  2.  Keuchel
  3. Lopez
  4. Gonzalez
  5. Cease

Bullpen:

1. Colome
  2. Bummer
  3. Cishek
  4. Herrera
  5. Fry
  6. Marshall
  7. Cordero
  8. Fulmer*

Collins starts in AAA to get everyday reps at C. 

* - Mendick probably goes down when Madrigal comes up. 

* - Fulmer gets one last shot and will be the first arm to go when they need someone else. 

100% agree with this.

1 hour ago, RTC said:

Assuming they don’t trade McCann (which seems unlikely at this point), Collins doesn’t really have a role on the major league roster.

3 hours ago, poppysox said:

I was going to say, Madrigal instead of Garcia and Castellanos instead of Mazara and you have a point.

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No doubt the OD roster is exciting and full of potential, but notice how you didn’t hype up the pitching staff?  While the staff may be talented, there are still a ton of question marks and as a result the overall team isn’t really close to those other two OD rosters I mentioned.

Although not weak...it is true that the staff is not overpowering yet.  Once Kopech and Rodon are available to join Gio, Keuchel, Cease, Lopez and Gonzales...we will be in most games.  If Cease & Lopez can find themselves the starters will be among the best staffs by the ASB.   Bullpens can be fickle but I'm pretty sure it will be above average.  In short...I really like that every player is surrounded by other good players.  The pressure is off since every hitter has protection.  When an opposing pitcher works carefully and walks a man or two the roof will cave in.