Opening Day 26 Man Roster Discussion

SoxBlanco

8 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I think the only chance Madrigal breaks camp is if he has a monster spring and players clamor for it.

What would count as a monster spring for Madrigal? I mean, lots of guys hit .400 in the spring and aren't called up, and he's not exactly likely to end the spring with 10 home runs. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

What would count as a monster spring for Madrigal? I mean, lots of guys hit .400 in the spring and aren't called up, and he's not exactly likely to end the spring with 10 home runs. 

There's zero percent chance even if he hits 500/600/700.  He'll be up whenever the projected Super 2 deadline passes, and not a second before.

7 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I think the only chance Madrigal breaks camp is if he has a monster spring and players clamor for it.

I think Madrigal will clearly be ready on opening day, but they’ll send him down because they won’t Vaughn’s agent playing that card next year- “why him, but not my guy?” At least I think that’s part of the equation. 

45 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

There's zero percent chance even if he hits 500/600/700.  He'll be up whenever the projected Super 2 deadline passes, and not a second before.

I would bet a large sum of money Madrigal is both not on the opening day roster and barring an injury, called up before the super 2 deadline.

The Sox aren't going to give AF about the super 2.  They want the extra year.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I would bet a large sum of money Madrigal is both not on the opening day roster and barring an injury, called up before the super 2 deadline.

The Sox aren't going to give AF about the super 2.  They want the extra year.  

hopefully, but this is the Sox and JR.  If he can save 5 million on Madrigal in 2024 he will try.   Believe the extra year will only require about three weeks in Charlotte so sometime around April 20th had be up if they don't care about Super 2.

19 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

hopefully, but this is the Sox and JR.  If he can save 5 million on Madrigal in 2024 he will try.   Believe the extra year will only require about three weeks in Charlotte so sometime around April 20th had be up if they don't care about Super 2.

I see very little chance he isn't up before June 1.  Gun to head, I'd say early May.  Super two deadline is usually late to mid June.  

I think after Kopech and Madrigal the days of being cute are over for the time being.  

28 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I see very little chance he isn't up before June 1.  Gun to head, I'd say early May.  Super two deadline is usually late to mid June.  

I think after Kopech and Madrigal the days of being cute are over for the time being.  

I'd still expect they will continue "being cute" with Vaughn into early 2021, barring injuries or something like that where the issue is forced. 

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'd still expect they will continue "being cute" with Vaughn into early 2021, barring injuries or something like that where the issue is forced. 

Maybe.  Sort of depends what happens with EE this season.  If he's good, the option gets picked up and Vaughn probably gets the kid gloves treatment.  If Vaughn has a great 2020 and EE is meh, I wouldn't be surprised to see Vaughn OD 2021.  But yah, most likely won't see Vaughn until late April/early May 2020, and that is fine with me.  

41 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If Mendick/Leury are proving to be fine I could see them holding til super 2

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Maybe.  Sort of depends what happens with EE this season.  If he's good, the option gets picked up and Vaughn probably gets the kid gloves treatment.  If Vaughn has a great 2020 and EE is meh, I wouldn't be surprised to see Vaughn OD 2021.  But yah, most likely won't see Vaughn until late April/early May 2020, and that is fine with me.  

There's another 1b under contract right now, so I see no reason why Vaughn would be 100% guaranteed an opening day 2021 spot even if Encarnacion isn't back.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There's another 1b under contract right now, so I see no reason why Vaughn would be 100% guaranteed an opening day 2021 spot even if Encarnacion isn't back.

Jose isn't going to play more than 80 games at 1st in 2021.  The ABs will be there for a 1B, whether that's EE or Collins or Vaughn remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Jose isn't going to play more than 80 games at 1st in 2021 The ABs will be there for a 1B, whether that's EE or Collins or Vaughn remains to be seen.

Jose does not have to be at 1b for 80 games to make sure Vaughn gets the extra year of team control.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Jose does not have to be at 1b for 80 games to make sure Vaughn gets the extra year of team control.

That's true but the argument, if there is one, that there's "no room" for him even if he's banging down the door isn't true.  They might hold him down, but it won't be because Jose is playing 150 games at 1st and putting up 5 WAR.

Personally I don't think they will play any service time games with him beyond the now bog standard extra year by holding him out a few weeks in April.  Unless he completely falls on his face he'll be up whenever the 172 day deadline passes in '21.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

That's true but the argument, if there is one, that there's "no room" for him even if he's banging down the door isn't true.  They might hold him down, but it won't be because Jose is playing 150 games at 1st and putting up 5 WAR.

Personally I don't think they will play any service time games with him beyond the now bog standard extra year by holding him out a few weeks in April.  Unless he completely falls on his face he'll be up whenever the 172 day deadline passes in '21.

This conversation started with the statement that they were done "being cute" with service time after Madrigal and Kopech, I added that Vaughn would probably not be up opening day in 2021 to "be cute" with service time. Somehow you're agreeing with me that he won't be up opening day 2021 but telling me I can't define that as a "service time game" even though it's manipulating service time for some reason. Anyway, later.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This conversation started with the statement that they were done "being cute" with service time after Madrigal and Kopech, I added that Vaughn would probably not be up opening day in 2021 to "be cute" with service time. Somehow you're agreeing with me that he won't be up opening day 2021 but telling me I can't define that as a "service time game" even though it's manipulating service time for some reason. Anyway, later.

Bruh nobody was even arguing that they wouldn't keep him down for the extra year.  The "getting cute" was perhaps related to waiting the additional time for super 2.  Nobody is really even arguing with you you're tilting at windmills.  Mostly everyone is in agreement here.

15 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Bruh nobody was even arguing that they wouldn't keep him down for the extra year.  The "getting cute" was perhaps related to waiting the additional time for super 2.  Nobody is really even arguing with you you're tilting at windmills.  Mostly everyone is in agreement here.

This. Unsurprising tho. 

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This. Unsurprising tho. 

He's a little sensitive but I think there's a fair question if what they are doing with Kopech (to claw back the lost year) is shadier than simply delaying the clock start (which EVERYBODY does EVERY time without an extension in place), but simply waiting the two weeks to grab an extra year isn't a service time "game" anymore it's simply BAU.  Change the rules.  Don't player hate, player hate the game.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's a little sensitive but I think there's a fair question if what they are doing with Kopech (to claw back the lost year) is shadier than simply delaying the clock start (which EVERYBODY does EVERY time without an extension in place), but simply waiting the two weeks to grab an extra year isn't a service time "game" anymore it's simply BAU.  Change the rules.  Don't player hate, player hate the game.

It’d be behind idiotic not to. 2 weeks is never better than 1 full season. Ever. 

• Like 3

Steve Stone is having fans post their opening day lineups and has responded to three fans with:

“Madrigal will not open in Chicago”

“No Madrigal”

“Lopez will be 5 with Kopech starting in AAA”

Sounds like he knows for sure.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

35 minutes ago, pcq said:

If only wishing could make Lopez and Cease into effective starters. Cease is still getting needed experience. Might better hope that a youngster steps up in the spring. Kopech should be ok by May. 

I am hopeful that Grandal will contribute greatly to the development of our young pitchers including the guys you mention.  Having the strong catching that Grandal and McCann provide is a huge plus.  They both do a good job of controlling the game.  Pitchers don't need to overthink it.  The catcher puts down the fingers and you throw the pitch he is asking for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pcq said:

If only wishing could make Lopez and Cease into effective starters. Cease is still getting needed experience. Might better hope that a youngster steps up in the spring. Kopech should be ok by May. 

Encouraged to hear Grandal has been looking at loads of film of the pitchers.  Seems like he considers himself mentor.

I have been looking at Madrigal videos and I am beginning to wonder if his bat to ball hitting skills will translate well in the major league where scouting and defensive shifts might take away part of his game.  I'm also somewhat concerned about his lack of power because he will need to have outfielders play back to dunk a few balls in front of them.

I think the Sox and Steve Stone for that matter will need  to see Madrigal have several at-bats in the majors to really know what he willbring.  I'm not sure 4-6 weeks  of at-bats in the minors will answer any more questions.  He eventually has to be brought up to see if he sinks or swims. Starting that process in June might kill most of the year if he ends up sucking offensively and then gets sent down in July or thereafter.