Opening Day 26 Man Roster Discussion

SoxBlanco

27 minutes ago, tray said:

I have been looking at Madrigal videos and I am beginning to wonder if his bat to ball hitting skills will translate well in the major league where scouting and defensive shifts might take away part of his game.  I'm also somewhat concerned about his lack of power because he will need to have outfielders play back to dunk a few balls in front of them.

I think the Sox and Steve Stone for that matter will need  to see Madrigal have several at-bats in the majors to really know what he willbring.  I'm not sure 4-6 weeks  of at-bats in the minors will answer any more questions.  He eventually has to be brought up to see if he sinks or swims. Starting that process in June might kill most of the year if he ends up sucking offensively and then gets sent down in July or thereafter.

With his bat control, he will as to use an old quote "hit them where they ain't" He will struggle at first with turning on MLB fastballs but once he gets the feel for it his skills will translate well.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think everyone is sleeping on Mazara. His OBP will never be the greatest, but it wouldn't surprise me if he absolutely explodes this year. I've always liked him, so maybe I'm biased. He's only a month older than Moncada. 

When he squares up on the ball he kills it. Hopefully Menechino can work with him on elevating the ball more.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Quin said:

I think Maeda going to the Twins increases the chances of Madrigal making the opening day roster if he lights it up Spring Training. 

I guess you could look at this two ways.  The Twins are now better for the next 3 years or so so the Sox will need every win they can get next season.  Or, the Sox will be better served gaining an additional year of control over Madrigal years from now when the Twins may be in decline or possibly rebuilding by then.

I honestly think it has zero impact and the Sox will stick to their plan of keeping Madrigal down regardless.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

12 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

What I love most about Mazara, and the reason I think the Sox got him, is his seemingly high floor. 

He was a below replacement level player in 148 game in 2017 and has never even had a 1 WAR season. He has one skill, hitting RHP, and if he doesn't thrive at that then he's not even worth playing. His floor is higher than Charlie Tilson, Ryan Cordell, and Daniel Palka though, I'll give him that.

Edited by TomPickle
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TomPickle said:

He was a below replacement level player in 148 game in 2017 and has never even had a 1 WAR season. He has one skill, hitting RHP, and if he doesn't thrive at that then he's not even worth playing. His floor is higher than Charlie Tilson, Ryan Cordell, and Daniel Palka though, I'll give him that.

Why on earth would you highlight specifically his 2017 season? He was barely 22 and has clearly gotten consistently better since then in 1000 PAs. If he gives us 1.0-1.5 WAR (and is consistent throughout the year) I would take that in a heartbeat considering what our RF production has been. Not every position is going to be a 2+ WAR player.

On 2/4/2020 at 10:30 AM, tray said:

I have been looking at Madrigal videos and I am beginning to wonder if his bat to ball hitting skills will translate well in the major league where scouting and defensive shifts might take away part of his game.  I'm also somewhat concerned about his lack of power because he will need to have outfielders play back to dunk a few balls in front of them.

I think the Sox and Steve Stone for that matter will need  to see Madrigal have several at-bats in the majors to really know what he willbring.  I'm not sure 4-6 weeks  of at-bats in the minors will answer any more questions.  He eventually has to be brought up to see if he sinks or swims. Starting that process in June might kill most of the year if he ends up sucking offensively and then gets sent down in July or thereafter.

Teams will play a 5 man infield to take away the swinging bunt.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Why on earth would you highlight specifically his 2017 season? He was barely 22 and has clearly gotten consistently better since then in 1000 PAs. If he gives us 1.0-1.5 WAR (and is consistent throughout the year) I would take that in a heartbeat considering what our RF production has been. Not every position is going to be a 2+ WAR player.

I chose his worst season as his floor, seems reasonable to me. Yes, if he has his best season in the majors he won't be an outright bad player. The Yankees, Dodgers, and Astros all got at least 2 WAR from every position last year.

• 1 month later...

I am bumping this now that spring training has been underway for a while. Fulmer is definitely making a case for a bullpen spot, like many of us predicted. 

That last bench piece is still a question mark. Cuthbert?  Mercedes? Delmonico? Collins? I feel like Collins will be in AAA, unless McCann is traded. 

12 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I am bumping this now that spring training has been underway for a while. Fulmer is definitely making a case for a bullpen spot, like many of us predicted. 

That last bench piece is still a question mark. Cuthbert?  Mercedes? Delmonico? Collins? I feel like Collins will be in AAA, unless McCann is traded. 

Cuthbert would be my guess based on the amount of play he's been given to this point.  He has hit well but the glove has left a lot to be desired.

National prospect and fantasy guys going wild over Kopech today.  Hype here seems a bit muted in comp.  Prospect fatique I guess.  Anyways, if MK can come out and command that fastball for 5 innings every 5th game he's a star.  Now.

I just wanna say Grandal's frame of that pitch is a thing of beauty after Narvaez and James.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Starting to believe the 26th man will be Mercedes. Late inning pinch hitter for Garcia or Mazara against a lefty (or righty in Leury's case if you're looking for a bomb), few games at DH if Edwin is aching and not on the IL and needs to sit, already on the 40-man. Obviously may not last long if the plan is for Madrigal to up come a few weeks into the season anyway.

Edited by soxfan2014