Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SoxBlanco

Opening Day 26 Man Roster Discussion

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, oldsox said:

13 pitchers is excessive, especially early season.

Many teams like to bring the starters along slowly and dont pitch them the full 100 or so early on. Extra bullpen help is worth it at that time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  1.   2B - Madrigal
  2.  SS - Anderson
  3. 3B - Moncada
  4. 1B - Abreu 
  5. DH - Encarnacion
  6. LF - Eloy
  7. RF - Mazara
  8. CF - Robert
  9. C - Grandal

Bench:

  1. McCann
  2. Leury Garcia
  3. and 4.  Don't know...Maybe two from this list: Engel/Scooter Gennet/ Brian Dozier/Brad Miller or trade Collins for Ian Happ.

Rotation:

  1. Giolito
  2. Keuchel
  3. Lopez
  4. Gonzalez
  5. Cease

Bullpen:

  1. Colome
  2. Bummer
  3. Cishek
  4. Herrera
  5. Fry
  6. Marshall
  7. Cordero
  8.  Kopech

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tray said:

 

  1.   2B - Madrigal
  2.  SS - Anderson
  3. 3B - Moncada
  4. 1B - Abreu 
  5. DH - Encarnacion
  6. LF - Eloy
  7. RF - Mazara
  8. CF - Robert
  9. C - Grandal

Bench:

  1. McCann
  2. Leury Garcia
  3. and 4.  Don't know...Maybe two from this list: Engel/Scooter Gennet/ Brian Dozier/Brad Miller or trade Collins for Ian Happ.

Rotation:

  1. Giolito
  2. Keuchel
  3. Lopez
  4. Gonzalez
  5. Cease

Bullpen:

  1. Colome
  2. Bummer
  3. Cishek
  4. Herrera
  5. Fry
  6. Marshall
  7. Cordero
  8.  Kopech

Kopech will not be in the bullpen to start the season.  Short of an injury to one of the other starters, he’ll open up 2020 in Charlotte.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Kopech will not be in the bullpen to start the season.  Short of an injury to one of the other starters, he’ll open up 2020 in Charlotte.

Neither will Madrigal.  Steve Stone just said this on The Score last week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Kopech will not be in the bullpen to start the season.  Short of an injury to one of the other starters, he’ll open up 2020 in Charlotte.

Agree and I would think Fulmer would become the 5th starter if an injury occurs until Kopech is ready. It would be great if another SP( other than the 5) has a great spring to add insurance to the rotation 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Agree and I would think Fulmer would become the 5th starter if an injury occurs until Kopech is ready. It would be great if another SP( other than the 5) has a great spring to add insurance to the rotation 

Kopech is ready. The only reasons he is going to the minors is service time and to limit his innings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, oldsox said:

13 pitchers is excessive, especially early season.

It's a bigger roster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Kopech is ready. The only reasons he is going to the minors is service time and to limit his innings.

Steve Stone made every excuse in the book without ever mentioning service time, haha.

“You don’t want him pitching in the early season cold weather...  you want to save his innings for the playoff run...”

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Steve Stone made every excuse in the book without ever mentioning service time, haha.

“You don’t want him pitching in the early season cold weather...  you want to save his innings for the playoff run...”

Those are two legit good points though; I'll give Steve that.

If someone was willing to give me long odds on Madrigal, I'd be willing to bet he breaks camp with the team. If he has a huge spring, I think he puts the pressure on and I think they go for it and call him up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Those are two legit good points though; I'll give Steve that.

If someone was willing to give me long odds on Madrigal, I'd be willing to bet he breaks camp with the team. If he has a huge spring, I think he puts the pressure on and I think they go for it and call him up.

I dont think there is any chance, honestly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, oldsox said:

13 pitchers is excessive, especially early season.

I do agree and I think most teams normally do 12 with a 4-man (5 if NL) bench but with the extra spot this year, you probably see an extra pitcher from everyone who had used 12 (mostly) previous years.

Edited by soxfan2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I dont think there is any chance, honestly.  

Yeah, Stone mentioned that Madrigal still had a few things to work on in Charlotte before he gets called up.  He never mentioned service time for either player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yeah, Stone mentioned that Madrigal still had a few things to work on in Charlotte before he gets called up.  He never mentioned service time for either player.

I mean Leury and Madrigal are perfectly fine to fill in for a couple weeks.  They're not going to punt a year for 15 games when they have acceptable options.  Plus Madrigal has a grand total of 314 plate appearances above A ball.  Its not like they're artificially holding him down like they would have been with Robert.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last thing in the world the Sox want is a Strasburg type situation with Kopech where they have to shut him down in September.  It's a long season. They want him strong in case they are playing games that matter late in the season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean Leury and Madrigal are perfectly fine to fill in for a couple weeks.  They're not going to punt a year for 15 games when they have acceptable options.  Plus Madrigal has a grand total of 314 plate appearances above A ball.  Its not like they're artificially holding him down like they would have been with Robert.  

This is spot on with Madrigal.  Unless he absolutely destroys Spring Training, I don't there is even a question that he goes to Charlotte for a few weeks.  Other 2B options will keep the spot warm until he arrives.

Edited by SouthWallace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ptatc said:

Kopech is ready. The only reasons he is going to the minors is service time and to limit his innings.

He may be ready physically but he may need a month in AAA regardless of service time to get back up to game ready form. Spring training may not be good enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

He may be ready physically but he may need a month in AAA regardless of service time to get back up to game ready form. Spring training may not be good enough. 

His pitching in the Fall probably took care of most of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The service time game really does not matter with madrigal. He is not going to be the type of player that will  wait until FA for for a a multi year 200 Million dollar contract . If he performs well, the Sox will have a few years to work a fair deal out to extend him.

I think the Bryant case , regardless of how it is decided, should start to concern teams who are playing the service time game. Even if the cubs win, they have lost the good will of their player and may not be able to sign him when he gets to FA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I dont think there is any chance, honestly.  

@Look at Ray Ray Run @ChiSox59

Sounds like a great chance for a bet between you two. 10-1 odds.  If Madrigal breaks camp with the team, you owe Ray Ray $200.  If he doesn't, Ray Ray owes you $20.

Why don't you guys just PayPal me the money now and I'll send it to whoever wins the bet? In fact, go ahead and give me your checking account information and social security numbers just in case anything goes wrong.

Edited by SoxBlanco
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

@Look at Ray Ray Run @ChiSox59

Sounds like a great chance for a bet between you two. 10-1 odds.  If Madrigal breaks camp with the team, you owe Ray Ray $200.  If he doesn't, Ray Ray owes you $20.

Why don't you guys just PayPal me the money now and I'll send it to whoever wins the bet? In fact, go ahead and give me your checking account information and social security numbers just in case anything goes wrong.

Are you that Nigerian prince who keeps emailing me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, wegner said:

Are you that Nigerian prince who keeps emailing me?

You know what Wegner, when the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you directly, asking for help, you help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ptatc said:

His pitching in the Fall probably took care of most of that.

Hopefully,  but we will know more by end of ST. Unfortunately, even ST is not as good a gauge as it used to be with so many teams limiting away game travel. Maybe Cactus isn't as bad, but Grapefruit seems to get worse every year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

You know what Wegner, when the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you directly, asking for help, you help!

You know, you are right.  Shame on me.  Plus with the $$ he is going to kick back to me, I can host a huge patio party for all of Soxtalk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

@Look at Ray Ray Run @ChiSox59

Sounds like a great chance for a bet between you two. 10-1 odds.  If Madrigal breaks camp with the team, you owe Ray Ray $200.  If he doesn't, Ray Ray owes you $20.

Why don't you guys just PayPal me the money now and I'll send it to whoever wins the bet? In fact, go ahead and give me your checking account information and social security numbers just in case anything goes wrong.

Lol well played. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×