Is Mookie Betts a real option for the Sox with payroll history??

Kpet1010

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Which makes sense that the Red Sox would trade him now, right?  He has more value now.  If they wait until the trade deadline to deal him, no supplemental pick is attached to Betts going into free agency?

Depends on what you mean by value. He has more trade value now. But management  may  think  keeping him ( especially the year before he hits the market) could  mean they can make the playoffs.  Also they have to weigh the Cora effect and do they now feel they are better off reloading by trading him.  I have yet to see any "rumor"( West coast, warm weather, contender etc)  of where Betts may be attracted to if he goes FA. He really can't go home since it is Tennessee.  They have a rookie GM so rumors are still limited in New England press. 

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

The luxury tax CAP goes by AAV anyway so it doesn't matter if he is paid significantly more one year and then significantly little the next.

ahhhh. that makes sense. Then let's pull a NHL. Sign him for 20 years and $360mm. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

I don't think they'll be one of the final bidders personally. If Jerry is signing anyone to a $300+, long-term deal, it will be someone already in house like Moncada. Dude is loyal (sometimes to a fault).

I love Moncada.  Guy could be a monster.  But he would be lucky to get half of $300M right now if he signed a long term deal.  

I would be livid if the Sox gave him anything in the neighborhood of what Trout is making.  He's great, but he's not exactly defining a generation of baseball like Trout is.  His 2018 season was unreal, and 2016 was pretty damn impressive, too.  His other seasons were very, very good but not 'break the bank' good, imo. 

• Like 1

It really depends on how Moncada Eloy and Robert do this year or even Mazara . There's  alot of slightly proven but mostly unproven power but such high ceilings that Betts may not be needed but an upgrade like Springer might be great.

If Mazara shocks the world and hits 35 bombs  they might try trading him or try extending him. I'll wait til the end of the season to make up my mind.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

The Bulls have a better chance of winning a championship in the next 3 years than the Sox signing Betts. It ain't gonna happen. Not a chance. 

Agreed.  And resigning a Giolito or Moncada and signing Joc could be better anyways.

On 1/30/2020 at 5:21 AM, Moan4Yoan said:

Agreed.  And resigning a Giolito or Moncada and signing Joc could be better anyways.

You are probably right however...

Let's look at where we are right now. Not a playoff team unless the young starters step up, Payroll is currently less then many thought it would be for 2020.

If they do step up and the other young position players do well we are sitting pretty for 2021 . Yeah we will lose some relief pitchers and have more expensive arbitration raises but the Sox could afford Betts, There's no doubt about that at all.

Actually going after him and then signing him is still a extreme long shot and the Sox more than likely settle for a lesser option if Mazara stays the Mazara we all know and ummm love.

More than likely we will still be looking for another high quality starting pitcher unless Kopech, Cease. Rodon or Lopez show a lot more than just incremental growth.

On January 30, 2020 at 1:01 AM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It really depends on how Moncada Eloy and Robert do this year or even Mazara . There's  alot of slightly proven but mostly unproven power but such high ceilings that Betts may not be needed but an upgrade like Springer might be great.

If Mazara shocks the world and hits 35 bombs  they might try trading him or try extending him. I'll wait til the end of the season to make up my mind.

I agree with all of what you said, especially evaluating Mazara at the end of the season. But, with wishful thinking, his age, potential, & new home/great clubhouse (plus not being in the heart of the order) Mazara could & will rise above expectations. The bar on him has been set low because of his past performances & fan opinion. Let's see how it goes, Mazara could be a plus to this team. 

This is how I see it breaking down next year. My guess is Mookie gets 10 years at $350-370MM.  Takes him through his age 39 season 

Padres maybe (probably not)
Angels out
Cubs maybeeeee (probably out)
Red Sox, Yankees out
Dodgers in (Friedman has done a masterful job managing their payroll)
Rangers out
Phillies out
Astros out
Braves maybe?
Nats out
Twins out
Mets (should be, but out)
Giants maybe? 
A's, Rays no
Dbacks no

Those are all of the 1.) big market teams and 2.) competitive teams seemingly in a spot to make a push for major signing in 2020-21 offseason.  There are only a handful of teams that make sense in terms of window and money who will be all over Betts IMO.  So...

... The White Sox *should* be ALL OVER him.  He's a perfect fit for their roster in every single way.  We've all seen that movie before though, so I'm not gonna hold my breath.  

I think they prioritize extending Moncada before signing Betts as well.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, wsd said:

This is how I see it breaking down next year. My guess is Mookie gets 10 years at $350-370MM.  Takes him through his age 39 season 

Angels out
Red Sox, Yankees out
Rangers out
Phillies out
Astros out
Braves maybe?
Nats out
Twins out
Giants maybe? 
A's, Rays no
Dbacks no

Those are all of the 1.) big market teams and 2.) competitive teams seemingly in a spot to make a push for major signing in 2020-21 offseason.  There are only a handful of teams that make sense in terms of window and money who will be all over Betts IMO.  So...

... The White Sox *should* be ALL OVER him.  He's a perfect fit for their roster in every single way.  We've all seen that movie before though, so I'm not gonna hold my breath.  

It is hard to predict the needs of fringe teams in a year since GMs can be pressured into appeasing fans and owners. I can see the Giants making a splash just to make one, and the Braves going for him if they fall flat on their faces in the postseason again. Not sure why the Dbacks are a no, Calhoun can move to DH when the NL brings that on board in 2021 (likely happening from what ive read). We will likely lose out to the Padres again in some shape or form.

We should be fighting till the end though, he would look so good in this lineup right now!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Just for fun, 2021 lineup:

1. Betts R

2. Moncada S

3. Robert R

4. Eloy R

5. Grandal S

6. Abreu R

7. Anderson R

8. Vaughn R

9. Madrigal R

Just loaded top to bottom.

That’s just legendary.  Imagine if Vaughn is nails and he’s popping .300/.400/.600 in the 8-hole.  Mercy

14 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Just for fun, 2021 lineup:

1. Betts R

2. Moncada S

3. Robert R

4. Eloy R

5. Grandal S

6. Abreu R

7. Anderson R

8. Vaughn R

9. Madrigal R

Just loaded top to bottom.

It's been more than 4 hours and it still hasn't gone away. Should I call my doctor?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Gotta be LA.  That rumored price seems awfully steep for 1 year. Verdugo, Downs, and single A SP with really solid #s.

I don't know, doesn't seem that steep but yeah I think LA is most likely.

19 hours ago, wsd said:

Angels out
Red Sox, Yankees out
Rangers out
Phillies out
Astros out
Braves maybe?
Nats out
Twins out
Giants maybe? 
A's, Rays no
Dbacks no

Imagine if the Sox extended Moncada AND signed Betts? This team would be World Series contenders for pretty much the entire decade. My goodness.