Is Mookie Betts a real option for the Sox with payroll history??

Kpet1010

21 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Imagine if the Sox extended Moncada AND signed Betts? This team would be World Series contenders for pretty much the entire decade. My goodness.

Won’t happen. Their best bet is to trade for him and hope to extend him but if he’s traded now he will want 350+

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I'm pretty sure the Sox can afford to extend Moncada and sign Betts as a free agent next offseason.

Being able to afford it and actually doing it are 2 different things my friend. The Sox highest contract has never been over 100 mil.. and even though they TRIED for Machado and Wheeler at higher prices, history proves Jerry does not throw money out like that. 

2 minutes ago, Kpet1010 said:

Being able to afford it and actually doing it are 2 different things my friend. The Sox highest contract has never been over 100 mil.. and even though they TRIED for Machado and Wheeler at higher prices, history proves Jerry does not throw money out like that. 

To be fair, the Sox determined that Grandal was their guy and they did what it took to get him right off the bat this offseason. They also had the highest offer for Wheeler. Now I agree that 125 mil and 350 mil are totally different, but I'm not going to say that the Sox have no chance at Betts...especially if 2020 is a successful year like we're all hoping for. If they think he's the final piece, who knows what could happen.

20 hours ago, wsd said:

This is how I see it breaking down next year. My guess is Mookie gets 10 years at $350-370MM.  Takes him through his age 39 season 

Padres maybe (probably not)
Angels out
Cubs maybeeeee (probably out)
Red Sox, Yankees out
Dodgers in (Friedman has done a masterful job managing their payroll)
Rangers out
Phillies out
Astros out
Braves maybe?
Nats out
Twins out
Mets (should be, but out)
Giants maybe? 
A's, Rays no
Dbacks no

Those are all of the 1.) big market teams and 2.) competitive teams seemingly in a spot to make a push for major signing in 2020-21 offseason.  There are only a handful of teams that make sense in terms of window and money who will be all over Betts IMO.  So...

... The White Sox *should* be ALL OVER him.  He's a perfect fit for their roster in every single way.  We've all seen that movie before though, so I'm not gonna hold my breath.  

I think they prioritize extending Moncada before signing Betts as well.  

I actually think Rangers are very likely. 

26 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

To be fair, the Sox determined that Grandal was their guy and they did what it took to get him right off the bat this offseason. They also had the highest offer for Wheeler. Now I agree that 125 mil and 350 mil are totally different, but I'm not going to say that the Sox have no chance at Betts...especially if 2020 is a successful year like we're all hoping for. If they think he's the final piece, who knows what could happen.

Hey I’d love if they did it, just sadly don’t see it happening. Not to mention those massive contracts never really help a team, they just hinder them. 

3 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I think he resigns with Boston. but that could change if he does not like the new manager. 

Right, I guess I don't think they are the most likely, but I would be pretty surprised if Texas wasn't among the top suitors based on behavior this offseason.

23 hours ago, Kpet1010 said:

If you believe that and you have every reason to, then how in the hell is the best bet to  trade for and extend him ? Do you think he would agree to a contract so much less than he would get in Free Agency ?

Their best bet is till to go after him in  Free Agency rather than giving up valuable assets and thinking they could extend him.

Neither way is likely to get Betts but at least waiting til he gets to Free Agency won't make the Sox look stupid by trading away part of the future for 1 year .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

On 2/3/2020 at 11:28 AM, Kpet1010 said:

Very true. Every team in baseball can afford to spend right up to the Luxury tax if they wanted to. Whether they choose to or not is a different story altogether. 

If Jerry refuses to pay Moncada it's inexcusable. Wait until the end of the season to make sure he's great, and then pay that man his money. 

9 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

How could you come to that conclusion while every indicator is saying he is going to be traded and Boston is crippled by the luxury tax ?

I live in New England part of the year and every indicator here does not say he is being traded.  Rumors have  every option happening. They have a luxury tax issue. They also have  a major PR disaster w the sign stealing.  They  have a rookie GM. It is all good for those of us who are fans of other teams.  I would love Betts for the South side.  He is an exceptional talent who is loved by their fans and so far has had a solid reputation. Regardless of the return, especially if it mostly financial, it will be another PR disaster.  My gut is their ownership is wrestling w the luxury tax problem going away w Price attached to a Betts trade vs their fan base and the media turning on them.  Their new GM must be shitting his pants. 

Well they went w the money and dumped Price . Hopefully the Dodgers did mostly money and not prospects. 

Edited by SCCWS

8 hours ago, SCCWS said:

I live in New England part of the year and every indicator here does not say he is being traded.  Rumors have  every option happening. They have a luxury tax issue. They also have  a major PR disaster w the sign stealing.  They  have a rookie GM. It is all good for those of us who are fans of other teams.  I would love Betts for the South side.  He is an exceptional talent who is loved by their fans and so far has had a solid reputation. Regardless of the return, especially if it mostly financial, it will be another PR disaster.  My gut is their ownership is wrestling w the luxury tax problem going away w Price attached to a Betts trade vs their fan base and the media turning on them.  Their new GM must be shitting his pants. 

Well they went w the money and dumped Price . Hopefully the Dodgers did mostly money and not prospects. 

Well I guess my every indicator was correct. Said that 14 hours ago and 9 hours later he was traded. I just think in New England they ignored the every indicator for a lot of false hope and over thinking it.

Bloom will be a good GM. He was just put in a no win situation. They were up against the luxury tax, they couldn't make any major moves unless they got rid of salary and they absolutely had to trade Betts . No one was biting on Price alone.

I think Bloom did pretty good regardless. I don't view trading Betts as a PR disaster . Great players want to be Free Agents .There was nothing Bloom could do about that so the only option was to trade him. I think he did great getting the Dodgers to take Price too and pay for half his contract. I'm pretty sure Maeda was unhappy with the Dodgers so they were glad to be rid of him and get Price in return.

Once Bloom settles in and gets out from underneath the Dombrowski mess he'll be a real asset for the Red Sox.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
added w to Dombrowski