Yolmer left his heart in SF

Orlando

to be fair, he may have actually turned down major league offers. At this point in his career he's down to about his last options .... his glove will keep him employed for a few more years, but in general his chance to show over a large sample of games that he can hit the ball w more authority than last year is dwindling. Between Longoria being old and possibly being injured plus no real standout at 2b? He should be able to play a decent amount this year. 

And also I don't think the Sox FO should be ashamed. Yolmer should be ecstatic he got that long of a shot to play so many games over a dreadful period for the Sox. He wouldn't have had that shot with many teams. He made a good amount of money. I think everybody can walk away somewhat satisfied. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, BrianAnderson said:

And also I don't think the Sox FO should be ashamed. Yolmer should be ecstatic he got that long of a shot to play so many games over a dreadful period for the Sox. He wouldn't have had that shot with many teams. He made a good amount of money. I think everybody can walk away somewhat satisfied. 

Was about to say the same.  I wish Yolmer the best, but he has had 600+ games to show he could hit enough to be a regular.  If he had come up in a different org that didn't suck before going full rebuild he probably doesn't even get half of those games.   It was time to part ways.  His glove is good enough to keep him on a roster for his quality defense, but its pretty obvious no one was knocking down his door with a starting spot.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Yolmer told Sox that he wanted one last chance at starting and if he can't make it with Giants and you still have a place, I'd be interested as a late spring training signing to the bench.  

But why? 

We all like him personally - but as a baseball player, just imagine he was on the Giants for the last 6 years and came over to us on a minor league contract ... we wouldn't bat an eye and say the deal is worth nothing. 

Take the person out of the equation, we need to move on from this idea that these guys have a place on a team that's really competing for a playoff spot. Yolmer Sanchez was fine for 2015-2019 ... we've turned the page. If we are truly dedicated to winning we need to focus on guys like Scooter Gennett as your UTIL/backup. There's a guy you can probably pay less than $5mm for that was averaging over .300BA, .350OBP and hit 50 home runs over two years before last year that was completely railroaded by a bad groin injury. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

But why? 

We all like him personally - but as a baseball player, just imagine he was on the Giants for the last 6 years and came over to us on a minor league contract ... we wouldn't bat an eye and say the deal is worth nothing. 

Take the person out of the equation, we need to move on from this idea that these guys have a place on a team that's really competing for a playoff spot. Yolmer Sanchez was fine for 2015-2019 ... we've turned the page. If we are truly dedicated to winning we need to focus on guys like Scooter Gennett as your UTIL/backup. There's a guy you can probably pay less than $5mm for that was averaging over .300BA, .350OBP and hit 50 home runs over two years before last year that was completely railroaded by a bad groin injury. 

This is where I disagree. Sanchez has his limitations, but looking at him as a pure back-up player who can pinch run, be a defensive replacement, and be a spot starter, is completely in line with what you'd see on other competitive teams.  Asking Sanchez to be our everyday starter / suber sub who starts 5 out of ever 7 games...okay I get it...but this is not what the Sox would be asking him to do.  

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

This is where I disagree. Sanchez has his limitations, but looking at him as a pure back-up player who can pinch run, be a defensive replacement, and be a spot starter, is completely in line with what you'd see on other competitive teams.  Asking Sanchez to be our everyday starter / suber sub who starts 5 out of ever 7 games...okay I get it...but this is not what the Sox would be asking him to do.  

Do you trust Renteria to not over play him, because I don't.  You could be totally right about his role and he's a good fit for it, but RR worries me with certain guys.

35 minutes ago, scotty22hotty said:

Sox FO should be ashamed of themselves. Goldglover was in the org for 10 years and has to settle for a minor league deal... I guess Abreu didnt like him 🤣

"Turned down major-league offers for chance to be everyday starter at second base." ok sure

I imagine we were one of those major league offers.  You can call me surprised.

I have a hard time believing he passed up a legit 26 man roster spot in order to try and break camp with the Giants as their starter.  Seems a pretty damn big risk for a guy that could have secured a MLB lifestyle for at least another year and socked away another million or so for his future and family.

Wish him well but he's a marginal MLB player as anything but a utility guy on a non contender.  He's just a guy.

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I imagine we were one of those major league offers.  You can call me surprised.

With no 40 man spots open?  Nah.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I have a hard time believing he passed up a legit 26 man roster spot in order to try and break camp with the Giants as their starter.  Seems a pretty damn big risk for a guy that could have secured a MLB lifestyle for at least another year and socked away another million or so for his future and family.

Wish him well but he's a marginal MLB player as anything but a utility guy on a non contender.  He's just a guy.

With no 40 man spots open?  Nah.

If he is in the mix as a starter, I would say he has a pretty good chance of making their aging roster as a backup.

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

If he is in the mix as a starter, I would say he has a pretty good chance of making their aging roster as a backup.

He surely thinks so.  Their roster stinks he's got a shot but just seems odd to me that if he really had a chance at a guaranteed 1.5 million, the MLB lifestyle (with a wife and young kids coming to expect it) he'd turn that down for a 50/50 chance at being a starter.

But hell I myself said that if he somehow gets 500 or so PA this year and can hit 270/330/400 he might get a multi year deal.   That's incredibly unlikely but this is almost surely his LAST chance to prove any sort of value other than utility guy.

All that said he could go to Japan and play another ten years if he really wanted and probably make 7-12 million.  He'll be fine, as will his family.  He's already banked about 8 million before taxes.

48 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Do you trust Renteria to not over play him, because I don't.  You could be totally right about his role and he's a good fit for it, but RR worries me with certain guys.

I get people not liking Renteria, but thinking he's too dumb to only play Yolmer once or twice a week with an infield of Madrigal, Moncada, Anderson is absurd. 

• Thanks 1