Yolmer left his heart in SF

Orlando

1 hour ago, quickman said:

He would have started for the Sox at least for two months at second base and then play 2 days a week as a fill in for sure. Seems like a nice cheap option for the Sox and now a nice cheap option for the giants. 

2 months??? ?More like 2 weeks MAYBE a month.

13 minutes ago, mqr said:

I get people not liking Renteria, but thinking he's too dumb to only play Yolmer once or twice a week with an infield of Madrigal, Moncada, Anderson is absurd. 

I just think he has a lot to prove as an in-game manager, and how he manages with real talent will say a lot.  

Edited by SouthWallace

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

God, I just hope the Sox are good so we can stop re-litigating how a dude handled a AAAA roster. 

Trust me, if the Sox are good this year Ricky will be the proverbial ant under the magnifying class on game day.  He's been given a free pass for two years.  That time is over.  His decisions are about to be under actual scrutiny.  You could shrug off every bunt last year with "well it's a tank year anyways".  Not so anymore.  He gives away outs, runs and games with bunting and the Chicago media and fans need to hold his feet to the fire.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Trust me, if the Sox are good this year Ricky will be the proverbial ant under the magnifying class on game day.  He's been given a free pass for two years.  That time is over.  His decisions are about to be under actual scrutiny.  You could shrug off every bunt last year with "well it's a tank year anyways".  Not so anymore.  He gives away outs, runs and games with bunting and the Chicago media and fans need to hold his feet to the fire.

Nobody's gonna give a shit if they win 95 games I promise you. 

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

Nobody's gonna give a shit if they win 95 games I promise you. 

I think some of you guys have forgotten what winning clubs are like.  If they win 95 games every single move he makes in the playoffs will be scrutinized more than ANY move he's made over the last two years.  

He has Moncada bunt in the playoffs and Twitter and Sox radio in Chicago will burn down, as it should.

38 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

34 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

If the Sox win because of Renteria and not despite as I believe they will, I will eat my skepticism.  Until then, I reserve the right to be critical.  

The issue is, what is the most important job of the manager? You can pick on his bunting but he will make moves in the pen that probably help. In game decisions are basically by the book and really don't make much of a difference. The most important job of an MLB manger is to work with the players to have them ready to play each and every day. This is all behind the scene work that most people never see. He may win more having players ready than he costs them with in game decisions. In the end it will come down to the overall record at the end of the season regardless of the bunt he called in April.

A manager is responsible for the X's & O's of the lineup construction and in game management.  His other responsibility is clubhouse and attitude management.  The jury is still out on Renteria's in game management but he seems to have the players respect and they seem to play hard.  RR has been in professional baseball for 34 years.   We as fans toss around how dumb managers are but you just can't spend 34 years in pro ball without knowing when to bunt, send a runner or pitch hit, etc.  I am prepared to see a much better job of managing now that he has the players to contend.

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The issue is, what is the most important job of the manager? You can pick on his bunting but he will make moves in the pen that probably help. In game decisions are basically by the book and really don't make much of a difference. The most important job of an MLB manger is to work with the players to have them ready to play each and every day. This is all behind the scene work that most people never see. He may win more having players ready than he costs them with in game decisions. In the end it will come down to the overall record at the end of the season regardless of the bunt he called in April.

my thought is: why not both?  Find a manager that can make the right tactical calls and motivate the boys.

• Like 1

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

my thought is: why not both?  Find a manager that can make the right tactical calls and motivate the boys.

Would be nice. However, I don't think there are many out there and who are available.

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Would be nice. However, I don't think there are many out there and who are available.

There are hundreds, they just don't get any opportunities or interest because they aren't former players or sexy names. Brian Kenny wrote about this in Ahead of the Curve, it's actually pretty interesting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Perhaps jirschele will be that guy for the Sox.

They seem to keep their managerial plans very close to the vest, but I've always had a suspicion that he's "next in line". Based on what I've read about him, I'd love it. It would also correspond well with all of the pro-analytics quotes and articles that came from Soxfest.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, poppysox said:

A manager is responsible for the X's & O's of the lineup construction and in game management.  His other responsibility is clubhouse and attitude management.  The jury is still out on Renteria's in game management but he seems to have the players respect and they seem to play hard.  RR has been in professional baseball for 34 years.   We as fans toss around how dumb managers are but you just can't spend 34 years in pro ball without knowing when to bunt, send a runner or pitch hit, etc.  I am prepared to see a much better job of managing now that he has the players to contend.

If Renteria was thought so highly of, why were the Cubs so quick to dump him and why was there no interest in hiring him outside of a team that is notorious for not wanting to spend much on managers and was intentionally tanking for the sake of a rebuild?

7 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

If Renteria was thought so highly of, why were the Cubs so quick to dump him and why was there no interest in hiring him outside of a team that is notorious for not wanting to spend much on managers and was intentionally tanking for the sake of a rebuild?

You mean for the guy they just dumped for someone who has never managed a game in his life?