Yolmer left his heart in SF

Orlando

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There's a difference between calling a fan out for something dumb and saying something negative about a player who spent 5 seasons with your team. I mean, worst case scenario, someone you're thinking of signing sees that and thinks "Hey wait a second are you going to rip me if I leave" or a player on the team Yolmer is still friends with is in the locker room asking why the broadcaster is talking down on his friend just because he now can.

This isn’t the first time Stone has done something like this.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2004-10-02-0410020225-story.html

11 hours ago, poppysox said:

I imagine we were one of those major league offers.  You can call me surprised.

Why would you be surprised ? It's well known you liked Yolmer but also that plenty here told you he wasn't worth $5M or even $3M. You had to be clinging pretty tightly to that Yolmer belief to be surprised the Sox want more than just a glove for a backup. 2nd base was the most crowded infield position available in Free Agency. There are just too many left for all to get good offers,

The Sox still have a choice among some decent options for a 2nd base/utility guy. When you move into a new house some things get thrown away and the Sox are moving from the outhouse to the middle class housing at the least.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Steve Stone’s thoughts on Yolmer...

Yikes, but not for sounding like a dick. It's not that mean sounding. Every one of the 3 sentences had errors in them. It's like Bruce Levine is creeping in.

The chance for the arbitration money ( the 6.2M he mentions) has long passed so no sense talking about it since he was a Free Agent and could've signed for much less. That makes the rest of his post mute since , in theory, he could have produced for a reasonable price.

1st sentence I know what he meant but I have no idea if it's a question or what. It's just very poorly constructed . After that "he'd" instead of "he's" and "if" instead of "is" .

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Why would you be surprised ? It's well known you liked Yolmer but also that plenty here told you he wasn't worth $5M or even $3M. You had to be clinging pretty tightly to that Yolmer belief to be surprised the Sox want more than just a glove for a backup. 2nd base was the most crowded infield position available in Free Agency. There are just too many left for all to get good offers,

The Sox still have a choice among some decent options for a 2nd base/utility guy. When you move into a new house some things get thrown away and the Sox are moving from the outhouse to the middle class housing at the least.

Just for the record...I said that I expected to resign Yolmer in the 3 to 4 million range and that his skills would translate well for our needs.   

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

With Madrigal already expected to be a good defender and Mendick as some insurance, the Sox can grab one of the better available 2B bat bench options.  I just hope they take advantage of the many veteran options available.  Here they are again...

Brian Dozier

Wilmer Flores

Scooter Gennett

Brock Holt

Jason Kipnis

Jordy Mercer

Brad Miller

Addison Russell

Ben Zobrist

Edited by Moan4Yoan

48 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

With Madrigal already expected to be a good defender and Mendick as some insurance, the Sox can grab one of the better available 2B bat bench options.  I just hope they take advantage of the many veteran options available.  Here they are again...

Brian Dozier

Wilmer Flores

Scooter Gennett

Brock Holt

Jason Kipnis

Jordy Mercer

Brad Miller

Addison Russell

Ben Zobrist

I think they'll look for someone who can play SS too. So can probably cross most of those names off besides Miller and Mercer really.

Edited by soxfan2014

14 hours ago, SouthWallace said:

I love Leury, but I don't want him playing SS.  Sox need a more capable back up SS/3B IMO. 

This is probably true, however i think madrigal will be able to slot in at SS once a week or as necessary once he's up. 

Mendick still probably makes the most sense in terms of money, availability and role. I'd like a sexier name and option, but he makes sense. 

First on Steve Stone ... there's no doubt he knows his baseball. I think he's really talented there - but he's also got a bit of Hawk in him. He believes his way is the right way. He likely is a jerk in real life based on how he handles himself on twitter. He has to know & understand his role as a team commentator --- even though what he is saying is probably 80% true, he needs to learn to tone it down or someone should tell him to. What if we go out and get a Puig? Why have any controversy at all? And why is it coming from a booth guy? Just unnecessary.  

I respect him and think hes generally right, but he needs to be smarter. I enjoy his banter on twitter as long as you realize he'll never admit he's wrong on anything. 

Now out of these remaining guys... I'd rank them in this order for me personally. I know as some have mentioned we need a backup SS and 3B more than a 2B and thats not wrong... but I'm going bat heavy. 

Scooter Gennett

Wilmer Flores

Brock Holt

Ben Zobrist

Jason Kipnis

Brian Dozier

Brad Miller

Jordy Mercer

NOPE Addison Russell

4 hours ago, poppysox said:

Just for the record...I said that I expected to resign Yolmer in the 3 to 4 million range and that his skills would translate well for our needs.   

You consistently said $4M in at the least 5 posts and also a 3 yr. extension between $12-15M one time and $4.5 per year for 2 years. But I did see one where you said between $3-4M.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MeanJoeCrede said:

As long as we are correcting grammar, the word you were looking for is "moot", not "mute". 

Thank you . I always do that, mute for moot. Only one grammar, typing, forgot something  thing is pretty good for my posts. That's why you always see my posts edited. If I get corrected enough, it'll stick eventually. But I am not Steve Stone with many followers. I doubt even one person follows me here, nor do I represent the White Sox .

Here I can look drunk, high, ignorant, unrefined, angry, mean or stupid and not worry about it. Not sure he has the same luxury.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside