Yolmer left his heart in SF

Orlando

8 minutes ago, mqr said:

You mean for the guy they just dumped for someone who has never managed a game in his life?

Well, I can’t say much for David Ross but the guy that replaced Renteria has a 2016 World Series ring.

I think Theo hired Ross to be his puppet manager.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

23 minutes ago, aFrankSoxFan said:

With Yolmer gone, Can we now go get Holt ?

Take your pick.  Outside of Russell, can anyone honestly say they would rather have Yolmer over some of the remaining 2B bench options?

Brian Dozier

Wilmer Flores

Scooter Gennett

Brock Holt

Jason Kipnis

Jordy Mercer

Brad Miller

Addison Russell

Ben Zobrist

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

If Renteria was thought so highly of, why were the Cubs so quick to dump him and why was there no interest in hiring him outside of a team that is notorious for not wanting to spend much on managers and was intentionally tanking for the sake of a rebuild?

I didn't say Renteria is highly thought of by anyone.  My point is that a 34 year pro baseball career probably qualifies him for knowing as much about baseball as most of us.   Managers get fired all the time after being manager of the year a year or two earlier.  Good managers are made by good players and no manager wins with bad players.  I hated RR passion for the bunt and said so throughout the season.  Just trying to be fair...no one would have won with last years crew.  If we win 105 games in 2020 if probably doesn't mean he's the best strategist of all time either.  By the way...Dusty Baker keeps getting hired in spite of my opinion that he couldn't find his ass using both hands.

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I didn't say Renteria is highly thought of by anyone.  My point is that a 34 year pro baseball career probably qualifies him for knowing as much about baseball as most of us.   Managers get fired all the time after being manager of the year a year or two earlier.  Good managers are made by good players and no manager wins with bad players.  I hated RR passion for the bunt and said so throughout the season.  Just trying to be fair...no one would have won with last years crew.  If we win 105 games in 2020 if probably doesn't mean he's the best strategist of all time either.  By the way...Dusty Baker keeps getting hired in spite of my opinion that he couldn't find his ass using both hands.

Dusty is a moron but in this case I'm guessing he's one of the few willing to work without a GM in place and the Astros are desperate to find someone before spring workouts begin in two weeks.

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

What a jerkface.  Just ignore the tweet and move on Steve no need to argue with fans EVER on twitter.  Apparently JR likes Stone wading in the muck.  Or he has no idea WTF Twitter is.

I saw that tweet by Stone and was a bit surprised he crapped all over Yolmer.

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I saw that tweet by Stone and was a bit surprised he crapped all over Yolmer.

Yea there was absolutely zero need to do that.  He could have just wished Yolmer well while noting that the Sox have a top 20 prospect in Madrigal that made moving on easier (and cheaper).  I'm not surprised as Stone has asshole tendencies.  Sox need to remind him he is an ambassador first and foremost, and an analyst 2nd.  

27 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Dusty is a moron but in this case I'm guessing he's one of the few willing to work without a GM in place and the Astros are desperate to find someone before spring workouts begin in two weeks.

Managers would be lining up around the block to take over that roster. None of them care about the GM.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Managers would be lining up around the block to take over that roster. None of them care about the GM.

Prima Facie, it appears that's not the case.  Otherwise, Dusty Baker wouldn't be the front runner, no?  You can't hand waive away that 1) spring training is basically here and any manager has exactly two weeks to get ready to lead his men into battle, on a contender nonetheless, and 2) Nobody wants to work for someone that didn't hire them if they can help it.  And that will be the case in Houston unless they somehow find a GM in the next couple weeks.

26 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Prima Facie, it appears that's not the case.  Otherwise, Dusty Baker wouldn't be the front runner, no?  You can't hand waive away that 1) spring training is basically here and any manager has exactly two weeks to get ready to lead his men into battle, on a contender nonetheless, and 2) Nobody wants to work for someone that didn't hire them if they can help it.  And that will be the case in Houston unless they somehow find a GM in the next couple weeks.

Yeah, Baker  is a very short term manager. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Everyone can hate dusty all they want, but he's well liked and thought of in baseball circles. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Yeah, but seriously why is Steve Stone, a representative of the team, being a jerk to a former player for this team? 

IKR?  Literally nothing to gain by responding in that way.  

But Stoney is a made man so he can be a dick to fans even tho his job is to be an ambassador.   Whatever.  Just win this year.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yeah, but seriously why is Steve Stone, a representative of the team, being a jerk to a former player for this team? 

It’s very strange.  Stone definitely seems to have an attitude problem.  He literally gets angry at people who tweet him about players (i.e. Puig, Arenado) that he has stated the Sox aren’t interested in.  But even Hahn said that the Sox were still open to bringing Yolmer back as recently as this past weekend at SoxFest.

5 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

It’s very strange.  Stone definitely seems to have an attitude problem.  He literally gets angry at people who tweet him about players (i.e. Puig, Arenado) that he has stated the Sox aren’t interested in.  But even Hahn said that the Sox were still open to bringing Yolmer back as recently as this past weekend at SoxFest.

There's a difference between calling a fan out for something dumb and saying something negative about a player who spent 5 seasons with your team. I mean, worst case scenario, someone you're thinking of signing sees that and thinks "Hey wait a second are you going to rip me if I leave" or a player on the team Yolmer is still friends with is in the locker room asking why the broadcaster is talking down on his friend just because he now can.

5 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yolmer signing elsewhere is a good thing.  It opens up the opportunity for them to bring in someone better.  Brock Holt, Scooter Gennett, etc.

I see a lot of Holt and i always liked him. But he is not even a 1 War player for his career. Yolmer is a little better than a 1 and is 4 years younger.  I think Yolmer's defense is probably the WAR difference.