ESPN Lineup Ranking

GatorSox

Just now, ptatc said:

I don't necessarily agree with the rank but I understand why they did it. "Experts" really value walks and patience. This lineup has a weakness there. They have power but the contact/patient skill is low.

which is why any notion of trading Vaughn should be dismissed unless you're absolutely bowled over by an offer.  Vaughn is the guy that's going to hit 290/385/510 and score a million runs batting 3rd with Eloy and company behind him.  He's the OBP guy.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

which is why any notion of trading Vaughn should be dismissed unless you're absolutely bowled over by an offer.  Vaughn is the guy that's going to hit 290/385/510 and score a million runs batting 3rd with Eloy and company behind him.  He's the OBP guy.

Agreed. They will have Grandal and Madrigal for OBP with that roster, hopefully Vaughn will be another.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

They said they see regression for the Twins. 

Patience: 8 |

Power: 10 |

Speed: 23 |

Balance: 10
Core hitters: 3

Lineup holes: 1

The Mets

Patience: 20 |

Power: 4 |

Speed: 24 |

Balance: 4

Core hitters: 5

Lineup holes: 0

10th in power jajajajajaja

I mean, I see regression, but going from the most prestigious HR hitting team in MLB history to the 10th best power team in one year, after adding Josh Donaldson, is really really stupid.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, magical will have a much better OBP than I think most believe.

If we live up to ESPN's expectation I think we win 3 championships. Hell, they have Robert beating out Magical (.364 BA) for MVP in a year where Michael Kopech is the best pitcher in baseball. 

6 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Eloy was quietly +1.8 runs on the bases last year.  He's fast in a straight line and gets good jumps.  Hopefully he worked on his agility this year that's where he gets tripped up on in LF.

Maybe on the bases he gets good jumps . In the outfield he doesn't, he admitted he was bad at it but says he's been working on

it. There might be a statcast measure of reaction or jump time for OF's and Eloy's was bad.

7 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Super confused how the Sox are 7th in speed. Also confused how the team #1 in lineup balance can rank so low.

Also, how is it possible that one of the better offenses in MLB history is 12th while the NY Mets are third?

Yo, Robert, Magical, and Manderson have good speed. Eloy has solid speed and Abreu is near positional average. Mazara is also near average running the bases. I'm not sure we should be 7th, but we are top 15. 

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Maybe on the bases he gets good jumps . In the outfield he doesn't, he admitted he was bad at it but says he's been working on

it. There might be a statcast measure of reaction or jump time for OF's and Eloy's was bad.

yea just to clarify he's a good baserunner gets good secondary leads and is leaning in the right direction.  in the OF his reads stink.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think the Sox should rank higher, not lower.

Argument could be made. I sing us because we don't use the good speed we have to our advantage. We have guys with good speed who can't run the bases well or they can't read flyballs right. We also don't steal bases often. 

16 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Argument could be made. I sing us because we don't use the good speed we have to our advantage. We have guys with good speed who can't run the bases well or they can't read flyballs right. We also don't steal bases often. 

Moncada and Anderson were both + on the bases last year, Madrigal is supposed to be a very smart base runner (he was in college), and Robert is TBD but he might be one of the three fastest players in baseball. Abreu is a tard on the bases for sure.

Yeah. Wow. That is a bad list. 

White Sox in the middle of the pack I think is fine though. Don’t forget that we always see the upside of our guys because we’re fans, but this is a lineup with a ton variance. The potential is massive but the downside is very real. If you’re projecting, you gotta take the average. 

This lineup could very well turn into a top five lineup this year if everyone takes a step forward/no one regresses, but it could be pathetic if everyone stalls/everyone regresses. 

Overall, that potential should make it actually fun to watch for the first time since the rebuild started. 

Edited by Eminor3rd
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Yeah. Wow. That is a bad list. 

White Sox in the middle of the pack I think is fine though. Don’t forget that we always see the upside of our guys because we’re fans, but this is a lineup with a ton variance. The potential is massive but the downside is very real. If you’re protecting, you gotta take the average. 

This lineup could very well turn it o a top five lineup this year if everyone takes. A step forward/no one regresses, but it could be pathetic if everyone stalls/everyone regresses. 

Overall, that’s potential should make it fun to watch for the first time since the rebuild started. 

Yeah, my first reaction was "Yeah, Sox at 13 is fair. They could easily leap to Top 5, but there is a lot of boom-bust."

*Reads article

"Holy crap this list is bad."

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Quin said:

Yeah, my first reaction was "Yeah, Sox at 13 is fair. They could easily leap to Top 5, but there is a lot of boom-bust."

*Reads article

"Holy crap this list is bad."

13 is a fair floor for our as yet untested lineup.  We have unproven potential for top 5 rating.  As a biased fan I believe we will end the season closer to 5 than 13.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1