Field of Dreams Tickets

Buehrle>Wood

17 hours ago, NWINFan said:

I was under the impression that Major League Baseball was in total charge of this event.  Is that not true? Are the White Sox in control? Some think Shoeless Joe Jackson will be re-instated, but who knows? 

This is correct. It’s an MLB “jewel” event, but it is taking up a White Sox home game. 

7 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

This is correct. It’s an MLB “jewel” event, but it is taking up a White Sox home game. 

It will be interesting how this jewel event is handled since MLB would rather not talk about the 1919 scandal, and it wants little to do with the Joe Jackson legacy. And if MLB "re-instates" Joe Jackson, Pete Rose and his supporters will be demanding the same. That will not be a pleasant subject, and the Astros scandal only worsens everything.

I think there should be a special ballot for the Hall of Fame. It should have two names on it: Joe Jackson and Pete Rose. This is a democracy. Let there be a vote.

2 hours ago, hi8is said:

What is a “jewel” event?

and man, it would be so cool if shoeless joe was reinstated.

It means that it's a MLB trademark and is completely MLB-operated. The All-Star game is a jewel event, the playoffs are jewel events, and last year's London Series was a jewel event. So even though it's a White Sox home game, you won't be able to buy tickets from the White Sox. 

4 hours ago, NWINFan said:

It will be interesting how this jewel event is handled since MLB would rather not talk about the 1919 scandal, and it wants little to do with the Joe Jackson legacy. And if MLB "re-instates" Joe Jackson, Pete Rose and his supporters will be demanding the same. That will not be a pleasant subject, and the Astros scandal only worsens everything.

I think there should be a special ballot for the Hall of Fame. It should have two names on it: Joe Jackson and Pete Rose. This is a democracy. Let there be a vote.

If they want to avoid the subject of Jackson and 1919, holding a game in a Iowa cornfield that hosted a movie based on the 1919 scandal is probably a bad idea.

A season ticket email that I received from the Sox back in September stated that the full plan would only include 80 games, and ticket information about the Iowa game would be released "later".  Nothing yet.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NWINFan said:

IMO a lifetime ban should be exactly that, a lifetime ban.  Once they are dead, the HOF can consider them.  That way they are sufficiently punished, and baseball can eventually evaluate their career.

21 hours ago, ThirdGen said:

IMO a lifetime ban should be exactly that, a lifetime ban.  Once they are dead, the HOF can consider them.  That way they are sufficiently punished, and baseball can eventually evaluate their career.

I see your point, but I am not a believer of life-time bans. Long-term bans, yes. Life-time, no. Also, I am not a big fan of Rose. He has lied and continues his act of denial. I do think there should be a vote for his Hall of Fame consideration. I don't believe he should be connected to baseball in any official capacity. He has bet on baseball before; he will do it again.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2020 at 12:02 PM, NWINFan said:

I see your point, but I am not a believer of life-time bans. Long-term bans, yes. Life-time, no. Also, I am not a big fan of Rose. He has lied and continues his act of denial. I do think there should be a vote for his Hall of Fame consideration. I don't believe he should be connected to baseball in any official capacity. He has bet on baseball before; he will do it again.

I am fairly sure he never stopped 

Sports Betting is legal in Indiana and will be in Illinois in time for March Madness.

So now you can legally smoke a joint in Illinois while making a sports bet on a phone app.

IMHO, that field of dreams game is really a foolish idea for any number of reasons ..and I am not only referring to the fact that the kid who is in charge of "building it"  is a cub fan.  I don't see what the point is, especially  given what major league baseball is enduring this year with the BlackStros.   Why would the White Sox organization want to highlight the 1919 team or for that matter, cheating in major league baseball ?  Many people think that what the BlackStros did is far worse than what happened during the BlackSox era.  I tend to agree with that assessment.

I anticipate this Iowa game might very well end up being a logistical disaster.  The facilities to accommodate players, fans, and media may not even be completed in time for the game.  I hope some people in the MLB office are monitoring progress there and are prepared to deep six the game's location if it looks like it is not going to work out.

Sorry if I am Debbie downer for anyone anticipating this.  My own view is that it is nothing more than a stunt to make money for third parties not associated with the teams and that it has no redeeming value for baseball history or for today's game. 

10 minutes ago, tray said:

Sports Betting is legal in Indiana and will be in Illinois in time for March Madness.

So now you can legally smoke a joint in Illinois while making a sports bet on a phone app.

IMHO, that field of dreams game is really a foolish idea for any number of reasons ..and I am not only referring to the fact that the kid who is in charge of "building it"  is a cub fan.  I don't see what the point is, especially  given what major league baseball is enduring this year with the BlackStros.   Why would the White Sox organization want to highlight the 1919 team or for that matter, cheating in major league baseball ?  Many people think that what the BlackStros did is far worse than what happened during the BlackSox era.  I tend to agree with that assessment.

I anticipate this Iowa game might very well end up being a logistical disaster.  The facilities to accommodate players, fans, and media may not even be completed in time for the game.  I hope some people in the MLB office are monitoring progress there and are prepared to deep six the game's location if it looks like it is not going to work out.

Sorry if I am Debbie downer for anyone anticipating this.  My own view is that it is nothing more than a stunt to make money for third parties not associated with the teams and that it has no redeeming value for baseball history or for today's game. 

Because it's an amazing (though bad) part of baseball history.  

It's a PR move to get the game national exposure in the middle of a long season where overall exposure to the game feels regional and localized. It's a good move, and has nothing to do with cheating and the average fan will not connect the two what-so-ever.... And Shoeless Joe DID NOT cheat or throw the World Series in the first place.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

On 2/2/2020 at 9:27 AM, NWINFan said:

They should only have posthumous reinstatement, esp. with Pete Rose.

1 hour ago, tray said:

You think cheating in hopes of winning a World Series is somehow worse than throwing a World Series for money?  What in the fuck...

• Like 1

Nice talk bud.  But yes, I think what the millionaire players on the Astros did was far worse than what the working class 1919 White Sox did.   Some of the 1919 White Sox were afraid of what might happen to them if they did not comply with the plan.

The Blackstros scheme lasted for more than a year. Unlike the 1919 White Sox scandal, the "Stros   have a world series championship at the expense of another team and at the expense of all fans of baseball.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, tray said:

Nice talk bud.  But yes, I think what the millionaire players on the Astros did was far worse than what the working class 1919 White Sox did.   Some of the 1919 White Sox were afraid of what might happen to them if they did not comply with the plan.

The Blackstros scheme lasted for more than a year. Unlike the 1919 White Sox scandal, the "Stros   have a world series championship at the expense of another team and at the expense of all fans of baseball.

Purposely losing is far & away the worst thing a team can do in sports.  I’m not sure how that’s even up for debate.

• Like 1