Bench Utility Bat - Who do we want?

Moan4Yoan

10 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I don’t know.  I’d be happy with any of the guys in my list above, other than Kipnis who looks to be done.  I’d be fine waiting until one of these guys accepts a bargain basement offer.

That may be now. I like Holt but he is really pretty much equal in value to Yolmer who signed a minor league contract.   

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

That may be now. I like Holt but he is really pretty much equal in value to Yolmer who signed a minor league contract.   

Holt plays 7 positions and is coming off back to back years with an OBP over .362. Yolmer is nowhere near as good. Their similar WAR totals are a function of playing time, not performance 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Holt plays 7 positions and is coming off back to back years with an OBP over .362. Yolmer is nowhere near as good. Their similar WAR totals are a function of playing time, not performance 

Holt is also 4 years older and missed time last year w a shoulder and  hamstring injury on top of his cornea injury he suffered at home.  He plays 6 positions and is average at each which is a plus. He does not play CF. I assumed Yolmer's higher career WAR is because of his plus defense. Holt is considered a very good clubhouse guy. 

Rumors in New England are Holt to the Pirates but I would love to see Hahn get him. 

15 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Holt is also 4 years older and missed time last year w a shoulder and  hamstring injury on top of his cornea injury he suffered at home.  He plays 6 positions and is average at each which is a plus. He does not play CF. I assumed Yolmer's higher career WAR is because of his plus defense. Holt is considered a very good clubhouse guy. 

Rumors in New England are Holt to the Pirates but I would love to see Hahn get him. 

Age doesn’t matter much when you haven’t shown you can hit.  The Giants gave Yolmer a one year minor league deal.  He’s likely a cheap one year bench bat for them, just like any of these guys.

Quote from Hahn in Duber’s latest article:

“Are there spots on this roster where we could add reinforcements that would put us in a stronger position? Absolutely," Hahn told Our Chuck Garfien in an interview before SoxFest. "And those are the things that keep me up at night and will continue to for the foreseeable future.

"But you also have to look at it from the player's perspective. Seeing Nick Madrigal coming, it might not be the most appealing place to come. We can explain to them how we view Nick. And we've been pretty candid publicly about how we view Nick and the excitement we have for Nick, but also the uncertainty about when that's going to start. But in the end, a free agent has to make a decision about, 'This is my personal best opportunity to maximize my future.'

"So that's my kind of long-winded way of saying, yeah there's guys available, but it's a two-way street and it's not necessarily something you should count on seeing us convert on."

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Orlando said:

“Are there spots on this roster where we could add reinforcements that would put us in a stronger position? Absolutely," Hahn told Our Chuck Garfien in an interview before SoxFest. "And those are the things that keep me up at night and will continue to for the foreseeable future.

"But you also have to look at it from the player's perspective. Seeing Nick Madrigal coming, it might not be the most appealing place to come. We can explain to them how we view Nick. And we've been pretty candid publicly about how we view Nick and the excitement we have for Nick, but also the uncertainty about when that's going to start. But in the end, a free agent has to make a decision about, 'This is my personal best opportunity to maximize my future.'

"So that's my kind of long-winded way of saying, yeah there's guys available, but it's a two-way street and it's not necessarily something you should count on seeing us convert on."

Christ this man can say in 200 words what can be said in 20.  Anybody worth adding will be too good to accept a bench role with a top 20 prospect in MLB at their position already in AAA.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

32 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I mean, that's honest at least.  Sox need a capable defender to backup SS & 3B and everyone knows Madrigal will be the eventual starter at 2B very soon.  Can't  blame any FA that isn't ready to commit to that yet.  

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Christ this man can say in 200 words what can be said in 20.  Anybody worth adding will be too good to accept a bench role with a top 20 prospect in MLB at their position already in AAA.

Eh, none of the guys I listed in my original post are sure-fire starters on many teams.  Maybe the Cubs since they need a 2B?  These guys are more likely to be bench additions than starters once they sign.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

• 2 weeks later...

I still think Madrigal is penciled in pending a late ST extension.  If they really were serious about holding Madrigal back...Brock Holt was obvious.  The last cuts of Spring will also provide some interesting names if Madrigal doesn't make the team out of ST.

• Haha 3