Brian Dozier

Wilmer Flores

Scooter Gennett

Brock Holt

Jason Kipnis

Brad Miller

Addison Russell

Ben Zobrist

Brock Holt would probably have my vote for the best versatility for the money.  Might at best be useful.

• Like 1

Great picks so far for a guy that can hit a bit and defend all over.

Is anyone tempted by a little more pop and less defense with the other guys available?

I know we don’t want to see Leury at SS anymore but I’m very curious what people think.  These dudes are going to be dirt cheap as we get closer to the start of spring training and as much as I like Mendick, I would be shocked and disappointed if Hahn didn’t grab one of these veterans.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Holt, more positional versatility than Dozier and will get on at a respectable rate.  LH and appears he can hit LHP pitching as well.

I'd be fine with Dozier I guess, but you'd have to count on a Leury/Mendick combo if Tim or Yo get hurt again.  He has only played 2B after his rookie year in 2012.

2 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Is anyone tempted by a little more pop and less defense with the other guys available?

Yes, especially for the infield. Moncada/Anderson/Madrigal is really solid defensively, and becomes great if Anderson plays his 2018 defense (or better). A power-hitting bench option is more tantalizing than a defense-first guy, IMO. 

Maybe the Sox are too comfortable with Mazara as a full time RFer given that Texas wasn't , Or just in case, maybe they should at least look for a better option than Adam Engel or Leury.

So maybe trade for a decent outfielder since there does not seen to be a viable major league ready  option in the Sox system.  Something like Zak Collins and a minor league prospect for Ian Happ  (offered only as a purely speculative and theoretical example).

Out of the list in the OP I like Dozier or Brad Miller on a cheap one year contract.  Miller can play infield or outfield, and that could be valuable .

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Capital G said:

My ideal person can play some SS/2nd and OF. Can hit LHP.

Mainly bc I want someone that can spell Mazara is he doesnt improve his splits.

Holt and Zo bc of their experience.

I like Scooter too as someone that isnt that far removed from a nice season.

I selected Holt for his versatility but Pence would probably be the choice for spelling Mazara.  The FO seems sold on the idea that Mazara is the man... so I'll trust in that for now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, poppysox said:

I selected Holt for his versatility but Pence would probably be the choice for spelling Mazara.  The FO seems sold on the idea that Mazara is the man... so I'll trust in that for now.

Use your own research and thoughts.  The FO is dead wrong if they think Mazara will be able to hit lefties.  Look at his splits.

It seems more apparent that with every passing day the Sox are going to go with what they already have or just wait everything out and see who's left over and desperate.  They could easily sign any one of those guys right now.

I'm not sure where payroll is now but it seems to be under the $120M many were saying where it would be . What this means I have no idea. Do they wait a little longer and sign a few more guys to minor league deals ? Are they saving to see where they stand at the trade deadline ? Perhaps they are currently in negotiations with a utility guy, reliever or any of the other players left. Many here had hope payroll would be higher but RF had no clear cut option and better starting pitchers either were extremely expensive or might not provide any more than Keuchel will and were more expensive also;

There are still over close to 15 FA's who put up between a 1-2 WAR last year . 5 of them are classified as 2B, a few of whom are utility guys.

Others are Andrew Cashner, Jason Vargas, Russell Martin, Puig, Maybin, Pence, Pillar, Jarrod Dyson.

There's still Colin McHugh and Taijuan Walker as possibilities who had under 1 WAR.

42 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It seems more apparent that with every passing day the Sox are going to go with what they already have or just wait everything out and see who's left over and desperate.  They could easily sign any one of those guys right now.

I'm not sure where payroll is now but it seems to be under the $120M many were saying where it would be . What this means I have no idea. Do they wait a little longer and sign a few more guys to minor league deals ? Are they saving to see where they stand at the trade deadline ? Perhaps they are currently in negotiations with a utility guy, reliever or any of the other players left. Many here had hope payroll would be higher but RF had no clear cut option and better starting pitchers either were extremely expensive or might not provide any more than Keuchel will and were more expensive also;

There are still over close to 15 FA's who put up between a 1-2 WAR last year . 5 of them are classified as 2B, a few of whom are utility guys.

Others are Andrew Cashner, Jason Vargas, Russell Martin, Puig, Maybin, Pence, Pillar, Jarrod Dyson.

There's still Colin McHugh and Taijuan Walker as possibilities who had under 1 WAR.

I’m not so sure about this.  I think Hahn is waiting for these bench guys to get desperate and accept a cheap or minor league deal as Spring Training gets closer.  As you noted with your list, there are still some valuable players available but I think Hahn is looking to find a deal in his final dollar store shopping of the offseason.

Sure, he could stick with Mendick but I would be surprised if he does after all the other moves this offseason.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

4 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I’m not so sure about this.  I think Hahn is waiting for these bench guys to get desperate and accept a cheap or minor league deal as Spring Training gets closer.  As you noted with your list, there are still some valuable players available but I think Hahn is looking to find a deal in his final dollar store shopping of the offseason.

Sure, he could stick with Mendick but I would be surprised if he does after all the other moves this offseason.

Wait , you bolded one part of my post and then literally went on to say almost the exact same thing as me in the bolded and non-bolded part.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Wait I know you bolded one part of my post and then literally went on to say almost the exact same thing as me in the bolded and non-bolded part.

Yep, I misread your post.  I thought you were saying they would be sticking with what they have.

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yep, I misread your post.  I thought you were saying they would be sticking with what they have.

I just don't  think there's any reason to bargain hunt. The longer you wait the less likely you are to find the one who truly fits your needs. They are all probably bargains right now. At this point in time anyone hoping to be a starter has little hope.

I look at Mendick much the way I look at Keuchel,Bumgarner Ryu . Keuchel was the cheapest of the bunch  but you can't say for sure he will be less valuable then the other 2. Mendick is Keuchel . He is likely to be just as valuable as anyone in his limited role. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he is capable of equal WAR as Madrigal. His versatility and willingly to do anything the Sox say to be up with the big club might actually be hurting his chances of being more than he appears to be.

Of course he might not ever be as impressive as he was during his brief call up too. :P

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I just don't  think there's any reason to bargain hunt. The longer you wait the less likely you are to find the one who truly fits your needs. They are all probably bargains right now. At this point in time anyone hoping to be a starter has little hope.

I look at Mendick much the way I look at Keuchel,Bumgarner Ryu . Keuchel was the cheapest of the bunch  but you can't say for sure he will be less valuable then the other 2. Mendick is Keuchel . He is likely to be just as valuable as anyone in his limited role. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he is capable of equal WAR as Madrigal. His versatility and willingly to do anything the Sox say to be up with the big club might actually be hurting his chances of being more than he appears to be.

Of course he might not ever be as impressive as he was during his brief call up too. :P

I don’t know.  I’d be happy with any of the guys in my list above, other than Kipnis who looks to be done.  I’d be fine waiting until one of these guys accepts a bargain basement offer.

11 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Why?

As I see it, the need is for a)2B and b)someone who can hit lefties to play RF who is an upgrade from L Garcia.
Holt and Brad Miller can play IF and OF, but can't hit lefties so they are out.
Flores, Gennett and Dozier don't play OF, so they are out.  Flores would be interesting if he played OF.
Kipnis hasn't hit in years, and Zobrist looks like he's done. 

You're left with L Garcia in RF against lefties, who is better against lefties than Holt or Miller.  And then Mendick.  Yea, they could sign someone to play 2B, but they all need to be platooned.  They can live with Mendick for a few months.

• Like 2