USA Today projections

GatorSox

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

Pretty plausible.

That was my thought as well.  Pretty safe predictions and not that much different from the FG Depth Charts projections.  Depending on how the final roster spots shake out I will be predicting 83-85 wins.  If they add a bit more, gets closer to 85, add nothing really and I'll stay at 83.  That just feels right personally.  I can see a breakout season or two but also I can see some stumbles, especially with the young pitching.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

That was my thought as well.  Pretty safe predictions and not that much different from the FG Depth Charts projections.  Depending on how the final roster spots shake out I will be predicting 83-85 wins.  If they add a bit more, gets closer to 85, add nothing really and I'll stay at 83.  That just feels right personally.  I can see a breakout season or two but also I can see some stumbles, especially with the young pitching.

Both the white sox and twins cannot handle any SP injuries (at least in first half) and the indians can't handle any significant position player injuries.

So it will be volatile but yeah I think this is the scenario that plays out the most if you play the season.

4 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

They are going to get another 1st pick next year, absolutely shameful

I hope the next CBA has some new rules when it comes to the draft- being able to trade them pre-draft, not being able to have 1-1 more than once a decade, and not being able to have a top 3 back-to-back years among them. In other words, do a draft lottery with these rules in place.

43 minutes ago, bmags said:

Both the white sox and twins cannot handle any SP injuries (at least in first half) and the indians can't handle any significant position player injuries.

So it will be volatile but yeah I think this is the scenario that plays out the most if you play the season.

The Sox have a better ability to absorb the injuries. They will have Kopech ready so they could bring him up. They don't want to but could if they are in contention early on.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The Sox have a better ability to absorb the injuries. They will have Kopech ready so they could bring him up. They don't want to but could if they are in contention early on.

Sox are relying on Lopez and Gio to not only stay healthy but also to produce above replacement level.  That's a tall ask.  I can see for various reasons both of those guys hurt/inthepen by June and the Sox scrambling.

6 hours ago, flavum said:

I’m just looking at the season as a 3-team race...Twins, Indians, and Sox. All three could be in the high 80s wins. 

All boils down to who gets the pitching.  We have depth and upside on our staff.  I like our chances.  Yes...I know I'm bias.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

This looks pretty good.  I didn't think they would be a playoff team this year and 83 wins sounds right.  They aren't going to grab a wildcard and the Twins are still a better team.  This year will still be very exciting and fun.

If we win only 83 games next year we didn't get the development we'd hope. This roster has flaws but it should win you at least 88 games with two nosedivers in KC and Detroit, if things go right. Hell, with that fluke stretch after the all star break where we lost 10 straight, no starting pitching to speak of, and nagging injuries, we were about a 77 win team last year. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

9 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

If we win only 83 games next year we didn't get the development we'd hope. This roster has flaws but it should win you at least 88 games with two nosedivers in KC and Detroit, if things go right. Hell, with that fluke stretch after the all star break where we lost 10 straight, no starting pitching to speak of, and nagging injuries, we were about a 77 win team last year. 

I don't know, that's kind of the thing about bad teams. They mostly tread water around .500 most of the year then have one terrible month. 2018 sox had that horrendous start to the year but were mostly good. 2017 may have been pre or post ASB they tanked.

This team is hopefully built to avoid that big backslide where nothing is working for anyone.

The great teams are just good all the time, but if the sox are a good team it likely means they flip it, tread water most of year and have one really hot month. Think 2010 white sox. That team was 88-74 mostly off of a 22-7 run in June. were in the hunt until the end.

That was one of my favorite sox teams that never made the playoffs until Kenny completely pissed all over it with the Manny pickup.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

I don't know, that's kind of the thing about bad teams. They mostly tread water around .500 most of the year then have one terrible month. 2018 sox had that horrendous start to the year but were mostly good. 2017 may have been pre or post ASB they tanked.

This team is hopefully built to avoid that big backslide where nothing is working for anyone.

The great teams are just good all the time, but if the sox are a good team it likely means they flip it, tread water most of year and have one really hot month. Think 2010 white sox. That team was 88-74 mostly off of a 22-7 run in June. were in the hunt until the end.

That was one of my favorite sox teams that never made the playoffs until Kenny completely pissed all over it with the Manny pickup.

Yeah but we got swept by KC of all teams. I think we were closer to the 42-44 team prior to the break.  We had injuries curtail development in season and the backend of our rotation was a revolving door of losers. But your point is a good one.

Also, we are bringing in 5 new starters and 2 new pitchers early in the season. Add in Kopech to the rotation, Rodon to bullpen, and trade deadline improvements and we are in great shape. The fact that we will have no rally killing automatic outs in our lineup, automatic pitching losses, or an implosive bullpen, gives us a great shot to win 90 games.

Edited by SonofaRoache