Betts to Dodgers

Whisox05

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

But we already traded for a RF that they want to give a chance to at a cheaper price and has 2 years of control. What are you missing?

Who cares?  Trade crap for the better outfielder (Joc) and trade Mazara for a reliever.  What are you missing?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

But your argument makes no sense.  The Angels are just another team like the White Sox, and they gave up jack squat for Joc.  What was stopping the Sox from making a crappy offer for Joc?

I mean, I'm sure the Sox were contacted again by the Dodgers. Mazara could have been dumped for RP.

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

Exactly.  I didn’t know GMs are only allowed to make a set number of trades involving outfielders.

I don't know about you, but I think they really, really like Mazara. 

He hasn't shown much yet but if they unlock his swing and get him hitting fly balls he could be a monster. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

They do. They were interested at the deadline last year. So its obvious they are going to commit to him for (hopefully) 2 years.

It could be a good gamble. I feel like I'm the only Sox fan bullish on Mazara. 

Again, if they can get Mazara hitting fly balls he's going to absolutely rake. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

This is his schtick. Criticize front office for everything. Dude literally lives to be miserable on this site.

I’m not sure what you are arguing here.  I was happy with all of the offseason moves except for Mazara and I stated as much.

The Angels gave up a much lesser prospect for one year of a better outfielder than the Sox gave up for two years of a worse outfielder.  Do you disagree with this?

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't know about you, but I think they really, really like Mazara. 

He hasn't shown much yet but if they unlock his swing and get him hitting fly balls he could be a monster. 

I think you are right Jack.  Mazara was a target and they want him to play.

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I’m not sure what you are arguing here.  I was happy with all of the offseason moves except for Mazara and I stated as much.

The Angels gave up a much lesser prospect for one year of a better outfielder than the Sox gave up for two years of a worse outfielder.  Do you disagree with this?

I don't disagree that Pederson is better but from everything we've read, they really like Mazara. Dude has some serious upside with the bat. So its not shocking they wouldn't trade for someone else. 

I don't disagree that Pederson is better but from everything we've read, they really like Mazara. Dude has some serious upside with the bat. So its not shocking they wouldn't trade for someone else. 

I’ll take the proven performance for one year at a cheaper cost in talent than hope for upside for two years of control and a higher cost in talent.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

So a few points on the Twins move here:

1. I wonder if they're not nearly as high on Graterol as they could be. He has a big arm but he only threw 61 innings last year, and with that his K-rate looks comparable to Reynaldo Lopez's in the minors.

2. I don't see him ranked anywhere near where Cease was, for that comparison that was made in this thread. BP had him #33 last year, but MLB.com currently has him #83.

3. If nothing else - if his arm takes a couple years to build up, that could dramatically drop his value to them.. Overall, a likely 3 win pitcher with multiple years of control giving them 9-12 WAR, Graterol could outearn that.

Trying to figure out their logic here. Not sure I believe it but it's a case. 

Ok but the argument is literally from the Sox perspective as to why they didn't. Not yours.

I would hope that Hahn and the Sox aren’t that narrow-minded when a better player becomes available.  And I don’t think they are.    For example, they signed Grandal because they know McCann is fool’s gold.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So a few points on the Twins move here:

1. I wonder if they're not nearly as high on Graterol as they could be. He has a big arm but he only threw 61 innings last year, and with that his K-rate looks comparable to Reynaldo Lopez's in the minors.

2. I don't see him ranked anywhere near where Cease was, for that comparison that was made in this thread. BP had him #33 last year, but MLB.com currently has him #83.

3. If nothing else - if his arm takes a couple years to build up, that could dramatically drop his value to them.. Overall, a likely 3 win pitcher with multiple years of control giving them 9-12 WAR, Graterol could outearn that.

Trying to figure out their logic here. Not sure I believe it but it's a case. 

Reading takes from their fan site, they assume Graterol is a reliever and they got a starter w control for him. It will be interesting to see where Boston intends to use him.