Betts to Dodgers

Whisox05

So we are a team that won 201 games in the last three seasons, got something like ten homeruns from our cumulative RFers last year, and had a GM who has now given us a lineup where a 24 year old with a .786 OPS with an easily concealable weakness will likely be our worst starter, and...people still complain?

Gratitude. The feeling many of you are searching for is gratitude.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

That same GM gave us 7 consecutive losing seasons.  Some of us are holding him to a higher standard than hey at least we're not really shitty anymore.

But, it’s just sports.  It’s entertainment.  I get being critical or skeptical of decisions etc...but caring too much or demanding any accountability seems really silly.  

Team success and failure is cyclical and I get that some teams are run way better than others...but mentioning the past track record seems super pointless, since CLEARLY this is a new direction.  It looks like Hahn & KW have set this club up for one of the more dominant runs in the history of the game- you don’t even have to squint to see the potential anymore.  It starts this year.  It starts now.  It’s fucking awesome. .   Anything short of pure excitement is absolutely baffling to me.  

There’s plenty of room over here for you brother. 

1 hour ago, lane said:

So we are a team that won 201 games in the last three seasons, got something like ten homeruns from our cumulative RFers last year, and had a GM who has now given us a lineup where a 24 year old with a .786 OPS with an easily concealable weakness will likely be our worst starter, and...people still complain?

Gratitude. The feeling many of you are searching for is gratitude.

I'm not complaining, I'm just pointing out that a 27 year old RF with an .876 OPS that is also the superior defender of the two is a better player and wish the White Sox had acquired him. That's a bridge too far for many though.

5 hours ago, bmags said:

There are so many fake obstacles in here it’s ridiculous. Oh they’d have to beat the angels offer in a short amount of time?!?!?! They’d have to trade a player teams know they don’t need? Why that hasn’t happened since...the last time Mazara was traded. It can’t be done dammit!

I’ll give shorthand to the last 13 pages: any move the Sox make is not only the best move, but the only move that could ever have been possible forever and ever amen.

WTF are you babbling on about ? I rarely in the past give the FO credit for anything.

I've rambled on and on about how poor they have been in so many areas right along with you.

I don't think many here wanted Mazara as a 1st choice. I was partial to Corey Dickerson.

The fact that I now support Mazara just means I see the logic in the move and it's time to get the season started and stop with all the whining and get behind the team.

You have no idea why the Angels had a crack at Pederson or why the Sox didn't get him. I listed some things that could have been obstacles. Maybe they just didn't want him. Maybe they didn't even get a chance to make an offer. Maybe they we're good ,thank you but no thank you.

It was almost 2 months ago the Sox traded for Mazara. Rosters are a lot more set now than they were then as we approach spring training. Yet you want to compare a December trade from TX who could have waited much longer to trade him, to the Dodgers trading Joc in a heartbeat because they acquired a superstar RF in early February. There weren't even rumors of a Joc trade. It just came quickly as a consequence of acquiring Betts.

You don't know anything about it and neither do I and anyone pretending that it's some kind of travesty the Sox didn't get him doesn't know anything either.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Apparently this deal may be canceled due to "Graterol's medicals"(code for insane fanbase and media backlash) 

I read rather that it’ll just end up including more money from the Dodgers or Minnesota and / or another prospect to Boston.

Guess that the Red Sox now see Graterol as a bullpen arm instead of a starter.

5 hours ago, hi8is said:

Why aren’t people up in arms that we didn’t trade for Betts... if you’re going to get ruffled about Joc then why not go all out?

People think this is funny or absurd but for all offseason I heard that trading for betts would DESTROY OUR FARM SYSTEM FOR ONLY ONE YEAR and yet the trade happened, the consensus is not that the dodgers farm system is destroyed, the consensus is they kept all of their top prospects and made out fantastic and also oh wow we forgot that mookie was one of the best players in baseball wow.

The white sox offseason featured searches to upgrade pitching and right fielders, names were brought up, sox made their choices, and two nights ago a bunch of pitchers and right fielders were traded but apparently that is not relevant at all to the sox and we just need to stick to #brockholttalk.com.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

People think this is funny or absurd but for all offseason I heard that trading for betts would DESTROY OUR FARM SYSTEM FOR ONLY ONE YEAR and yet the trade happened, the consensus is not that the dodgers farm system is destroyed, the consensus is they kept all of their top prospects and made out fantastic and also oh wow we forgot that mookie was one of the best players in baseball wow.

The white sox offseason featured searches to upgrade pitching and right fielders, names were brought up, sox made their choices, and two nights ago a bunch of pitchers and right fielders were traded but apparently that is not relevant at all to the sox and we just need to stick to #brockholttalk.com.

Who is the White Sox equivalent of Alex Verdugo and Graterol?

Just now, hi8is said:
Another possible option, according to the report, is the Dodgers and Red Sox could work out a two-team deal or include a new third team if the Graterol injury proves to be a non-starter for Boston.

-New York Post

I love some three-team action but who would we even target here...Jansen?

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

This is a pretty poor comparison.  We are just entering our competitive window while the Dodgers are already a serious World Series threat with a deep system and one of the strongest financial situations in the game.  Giving up Cease + Madrigal for one year of Betts would have been insanity and that’s fairly close to what the Red Sox appear to be getting in return.  I don’t mean to be disrespectful, but you seem to treat baseball like the NBA where it’s get stars at all costs.  Unfortunately we simply are not in a position yet to make such a bold trade without risking the long-term viability of the rebuild.

• Thanks 1

Just now, hi8is said:

I think people easily forget how good Verdugo is and how stacked the Dodgers are.

On 29 other teams, Verdugo is a full time stud... unless he has some split issue that I’m unaware of.

Agreed.  This trade was a no brainer for the Dodgers given their competitive position & resources, but giving up six years of a 23 year OF who has already put a 2 win season plus a high upside arm is a hard pill to swallow for most clubs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I love some three-team action but who would we even target here...Jansen?

I'd assume they'd actually want to hold onto Jansen. I liked the idea if Maeda as a swing man target since he consistently goes back and forth between rotation and bullpen but I'm not sure what I'd actually give up.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Agreed.  This trade was a no brainer for the Dodgers given their competitive position & resources, but giving up six years of a 23 year OF who has already put a 2 win season plus a high upside arm is a hard pill to swallow for most clubs.

There was a funny Barstool article written from a Yankees fan that wondered how the Dodgers farm system would recover post-Betts trade. Showed the top 5 (maybe 10) prospects pre-Betts trade and then showed the same list post-Betts (obviously no difference and just a dig at the Boston fans in the office haha).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is a pretty poor comparison.  We are just entering our competitive window while the Dodgers are already a serious World Series threat with a deep system and one of the strongest financial situations in the game.  Giving up Cease + Madrigal for one year of Betts would have been insanity and that’s fairly close to what the Red Sox appear to be getting in return.  I don’t mean to be disrespectful, but you seem to treat baseball like the NBA where it’s get stars at all costs.  Unfortunately we simply are not in a position yet to make such a bold trade without risking the long-term viability of the rebuild.

Cease and Madrigal is a better return. Sox could have also absorbed more salary than Dodgers. 

Verdugo is talented, he was also clouded by his piss poor attitude and professionalism. Now full time in Boston replacing Betts that could flare up.

The best thing the Sox can do to increase payroll constraints is have a lot of success.

33 minutes ago, bmags said:

Cease and Madrigal is a better return. Sox could have also absorbed more salary than Dodgers. 

Verdugo is talented, he was also clouded by his piss poor attitude and professionalism. Now full time in Boston replacing Betts that could flare up.

The best thing the Sox can do to increase payroll constraints is have a lot of success.

The White Sox were not in a position to part with Madrigal alone. Do this deal without Vaughn, Madrigal, Kopech, Jiminez, Cease, Robert, Moncada, or Giolito. 

• Like 1