Betts to Dodgers

Whisox05

19 hours ago, SCCWS said:

I doubt it. Dodgers will pay more of Price's salary or will give Boston a prospect . 

Yes.

Can you imagine Mookie returning to Boston under these conditions ?

No way this deal wasn't going down.  This was just some GM gamesmanship between two elite organizations.

Edited by GradMc

2 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Jeter is going to be a HOF shortstop for the Red Sox, the baseball gods will make it so.

Downs also is marked at playing second base, so Boston could have potential options in the infield.

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2020/02/what-to-know-about-new-reported-red-sox-members-jeter-downs-connor-wong/

4 minutes ago, hi8is said:

But we could never expect major league talent and a top 100 guy for Moncada in his last year if he isn’t signed to an extension because Mookie.

Let’s hope we don’t have to worry about this and Moncada signs an extension.  But Moncada isn’t Betts yet.  Not even close.

5 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Let’s hope we don’t have to worry about this and Moncada signs an extension.  But Moncada isn’t Betts yet.  Not even close.

Let’s just keep on writing words... just for the sake of writing words!

John Henry's sports empire is supposedly worth $6 billion. You are trying to win and you trade Mookie Betts. F-.

Could you imagine if JR did that? And he isn't worth anything near John Henry's group.

I'm sure some will say it's totallly different, but fast forward a few years and the White Sox are trying to win, and Moncada is the player we have all hoped, and JR sends him elsewhere for a package like this. Fail. Fail. Fail.

Edited by Dick Allen

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

John Henry's sports empire is supposedly worth $6 billion. You are trying to win and you trade Mookie Betts. F-.

Could you imagine if JR did that? And he isn't worth anything near John Henry's group.

I'm sure some will say it's totallly different, but fast forward a few years and the White Sox are trying to win, and Moncada is the player we have all hoped, and JR sends him elsewhere for a package like this. Fail. Fail. Fail.

They were losing draft picks and already don't have a farm.  They have also spent like a billion dollars on players the last few years.

The class warfare meme is definitely a weird take on some of these francise owners.  John Henry is not Bob Nutting.

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

They were losing draft picks and already don't have a farm.  They have also spent like a billion dollars on players the last few years.

The class warfare meme is definitely a weird take on some of these francise owners.  John Henry is not Bob Nutting.

You play it out. There aren't many Mookie Betts around.  Trading your best players usually doesn't result in more wins in the short term. Their "window" is open about as long as Sale's arm remains feasible. To dump Betts now, makes it less likely Sale is pitching meaningful games. 

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

You play it out. There aren't many Mookie Betts around.  Trading your best players usually doesn't result in more wins in the short term. Their "window" is open about as long as Sale's arm remains feasible. To dump Betts now, makes it less likely Sale is pitching meaningful games. 

Dumping him now actually helps them sign him next year since they just reset the tax penalty.  Do I think he goes back to Boston? No.  But they realistically had no chance in bringing him back until they got under, and they just accomplished that.

And to edit I think Betts being moved has way more to due with DD and his reckless spending than to do with Henry.

Edited by BackDoorBreach

3 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Dumping him now actually helps them sign him next year since they just reset the tax penalty.  Do I think he goes back to Boston? No.  But they realistically had no chance in bringing him back until they got under, and they just accomplished that.

And to edit I think Betts being moved has way more to due with DD and his reckless spending than to do with Henry.

According to Forbes, the broke Red Sox only made an $84 million profit in 2018. The 2019 figures are not out. So you must be right, paying Mookie Betts wasn't going to work. I wonder why they even offered him a significant extension. Trading him isn't going to increase their chances of bringing him back. There were other ways of resetting their tax. 

44 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I understand where you are coming from but there is another consideration.  Does John Henry think the luxury tax savings offsets the  loss of revenue. I think most owners rank profit ahead of winning. They know winning affects profit so they want their GM to balance the two. Red Sox are the only ticket in town(s) and their fanbase is large and loyal. I think it will be interesting to see the results.  Mookie is an exceptional  talent but also a box office magnet.  JH took a huge gamble and hopefully it backfires big-time.  But if you have $6 billion, it probably is a sputter and not a backfire. 

I just think when you aren't operating on a shoestring  budget, and you charge the customers what you charge, if you want them to stick with you during lean times, you better be ponying up when windows are open, and not satisfied with half assed, and a profit.

Mookie Betts is a player you get signed or you go down swinging like Brian Downing trying.  Trading him for financial purposes is OK for the Marlins, not the Red Sox. 

Edited by Dick Allen

37 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I disagree. John Henry is very visible during the baseball season.  He is not an absentee landlord. You can bet everything DD did JH signed off on. 

Everthing you read is Mookie wanted to experience the FA process. Good for him. But I do wonder if Boston burned bridges or does the high bidder still get him next year. 

1 minute ago, SCCWS said:

I disagree. John Henry is very visible during the baseball season.  He is not an absentee landlord. You can bet everything DD did JH signed off on. 

Everthing you read is Mookie wanted to experience the FA process. Good for him. But I do wonder if Boston burned bridges or does the high bidder still get him next year. 

And even if that is the plan, you waste a year of in their prime Betts and Sale for Alex Verdugo? Vergudo is pretty good, but not that good.

If re-setting under the penalty was the main goal, it's not like there weren't other avenues to do it for the red sox. JBJ was not shed and he's making 11 million. Price had half his salary paid down to move, certainly could have moved with that and that gets you there. Sign kevin pillar for CF and you are a better team than they are now.

It was thinking they could build a better team with the return from mookie than with him. They aren't going to re-sign him.