FS: Jake Burger: Forgotten, but not (yet) gone

Rankin

There's just no spot for him. And he's a near 24 year old who topped out at Kanny two years ago. If he ever makes it to the bigs, it'll be a minor miracle. Unless it's for us- in which case, something terrible happened.

If this is something he still wants, trade him. For his good and ours.

17 minutes ago, lane said:

There's just no spot for him. And he's a near 24 year old who topped out at Kanny two years ago. If he ever makes it to the bigs, it'll be a minor miracle. Unless it's for us- in which case, something terrible happened.

If this is something he still wants, trade him. For his good and ours.

It's not about that. He was suppose to be playing last year, and he never did. I don't think he is healthy, and by the time he is, his progression through the minors, he is gonna be like 26yrs old. He is probably Palka at best, if he gets healthy.

2 hours ago, Cashman said:

I predict, I am gonna say it like I mean it..... I predict, Jake Burger is done with baseball.

That article certainly painted the picture of a guy that for whatever reason is over it.

he question on everyone’s mind is: what is going on with Burger? There are wild rumors flying around that he’s mentally done with the game; that the Sox are giving him space to figure out what he wants to do with his life. Also that he’s addicted to video games, and that the Sox are unhappy with his recent work ethic — the latter doesn’t quite gel with Hahn’s earlier statements, but does line up more with Getz’s later inference that it is “tough to mark [Jake’s] participation level”.

Whatever the reason, it doesn't seem like Jake Burger is "all in" on baseball.  He's probably living off the rest of his signing bonus and figuring out what car dealership he wants to go work at for the next 30 years.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, tray said:

Massive failure in talent evaluation by Hostetler or whoever made the Draft pick.  Far worse than the Hawkins pick.  Hawkins could do a back flip when he was Drafted. Burgur's  ankles could not support his weight.

I thought it was a bad pick just because there was no way imo he was going to stay at 3B, and at 1B his bat was likely nothing special and he's the wrong side of any platoon.  So where's the upside?

Whatever the thought process was on the pick it was flawed.  It seems like the reached for what they thought was a "safe" pick that would fit with the rebuild timeline but really any high upside HS player would have been better.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

6 hours ago, Cashman said:

I predict, I am gonna say it like I mean it..... I predict, Jake Burger is done with baseball.

I tend to agree. He will sit out another season before quitting. 

6 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I thought it was a bad pick just because there was no way imo he was going to stay at 3B, and at 1B his bat was likely nothing special and he's the wrong side of any platoon.  So where's the upside?

Whatever the thought process was on the pick it was flawed.  It seems like the reached for what they thought was a "safe" pick that would fit with the rebuild timeline but really any high upside HS player would have been better.

They got too far into analytics for this one. One of the primary reasons cited for the pick was his really high ranking NCAA exit velocity

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tray said:

Massive failure in talent evaluation by Hostetler or whoever made the Draft pick.  Far worse than the Hawkins pick.  Hawkins could do a back flip when he was Drafted. Burgur's  ankles could not support his weight.

His Achilles injuries not ankle injuries had nothing to do with his weight. Most of the people who tear them are the fit athletic people who ignore the tendonopathy which precedes the tear. Judging by some comments being made the second one was probably due to lack of dedication to rehab.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, ptatc said:

His Achilles injuries not ankle injuries had nothing to do with his weight. Most of the people who tear them are the fit athletic people who ignore the tendonopathy which precedes the tear. Judging by some comments being made the second one was probably due to lack of dedication to rehab.

What's the best way to prevent a torn Achilles? Stretch your calves?

5 hours ago, ptatc said:

False.

Factors that may increase your risk of Achilles tendon rupture include Obesity.  Excess weight puts more strain on the tendon. (Mayo Clinic).

:hawk:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, tray said:

False.

Factors that may increase your risk of Achilles tendon rupture include Obesity.  Excess weight puts more strain on the tendon. (Mayo Clinic).

:hawk:

Obesity is a relative term. Nearly every athlete is obese as defined in the by BMI. It takes into account only the ratio of height and weight. It doesnt take into account body fat or muscle density. If your 6 foot tall you can only weight about 210 pound otherwise your obese. So in this scenario most athletes are susceptible to it.

If you look at your list of risk factors one higher on the list than obesity is age between 30-50. He doesnt fall 8nto that category. This is more what you see in the clinic as opposed to an internet search.

Edit: here is the article I was thinking of and I was wrong about the age.  The overall age was 30-50 but for males it was 20-30. So he does fall in that range. However, obesity is not found to be a factor. 

2325967118808238.pdf

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 2

Good luck to Burgur  wherever he is and whatever he plans on doing.  Meanwhile , there are 27 non-roster invitees to Spring Training that will be interesting to watch. I am looking forward to heading out to Glendale and watching a few games. Now I am out to shovel the driveway. 

19 minutes ago, tray said:

Good luck to Burgur  wherever he is and whatever he plans on doing.  Meanwhile , there are 27 non-roster invitees to Spring Training that will be interesting to watch. I am looking forward to heading out to Glendale and watching a few games. Now I am out to shovel the driveway. 

No doubt. He has an uphill battle. I've had a previous discussion on here, that I've never seen a person his age who ruptured it twice. I have no idea how the recovery will go, especially in light of the added problems from last summer.

I'm going outside to use the snowblower, too old to shovel.

• Like 1

Anybody who is saying it was a terrible pick is a clown. The kid never even had a shot to prove one way or another that he could play - injuries have derailed his shot so far. 

He might have crushed the ball and been our DH this year - we really dont know. So to say the pick was terrible is really a sad keyboard stance. 

On a side note, i hope he mentally gets right if that's truly the case here. He's still young and talented. Hopefully he can string together a few healthy seasons to realize if this dream really does have legs or to move on comfortably knowing he gave it his all. Would suck to go through life not knowing because your body kept giving up on you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Hatchetman said:

Who else were they supposed to draft? The guy I liked at the time Nick Pratto, is terrible. 

You're right about Pratto, but I looked at the 6 guys drafted right after Burger, and the other 5 look like great prospects.  I admit I am just a Monday QB here, just second guessing the pick, but it is still a lousy pick.  I can't remember who I wanted back in June, 2017; it was probably someone taken before Burger.  Still, it was a terrible draft choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

You're right about Pratto, but I looked at the 6 guys drafted right after Burger, and the other 5 look like great prospects.  I admit I am just a Monday QB here, just second guessing the pick, but it is still a lousy pick.  I can't remember who I wanted back in June, 2017; it was probably someone taken before Burger.  Still, it was a terrible draft choice.

Kinda smells like the Fulmer pick.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ron883 said:

What's the best way to prevent a torn Achilles? Stretch your calves?

Yes. Keep the flexibility is the primary one. Also eccentric power as the tear of any tendon or muscle mostly happen during that phase. So do a feel raise on one leg and slowly lower down. The lower phase increases the tensile strength of the Achilles tendon.

• Like 1

• Rankin unpinned this topic
  • Quin locked and unlocked this topic
  • Quin locked this topic