FS: Jake Burger: Forgotten, but not (yet) gone

Rankin

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Yes. Keep the flexibility is the primary one. Also eccentric power as the tear of any tendon or muscle mostly happen during that phase. So do a feel raise on one leg and slowly lower down. The lower phase increases the tensile strength of the Achilles tendon.

Yes during my rehab from the torn patellas I did a lot of eccentric training and still do.  The training guides I watched (and that I followed) did one leg stuff on a wedge.  I believe the theory is that the wedges help shorten the chain between the achilles and hip so you can more safely target those areas when rehabbing and training.

As my surgeon noted and you noted upthread it's usually only explosive strong athletes than can rip tendons.  It's just so unusual to see it in someone so young like Jake.  I was 31 when I blew mine out.

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yes during my rehab from the torn patellas I did a lot of eccentric training and still do.  The training guides I watched (and that I followed) did one leg stuff on a wedge.  I believe the theory is that the wedges help shorten the chain between the achilles and hip so you can more safely target those areas when rehabbing and training.

As my surgeon noted and you noted upthread it's usually only explosive strong athletes than can rip tendons.  It's just so unusual to see it in someone so young like Jake.  I was 31 when I blew mine out.

Correct. The eccentric loading is the only way to increase the tensile strength of the tendon. Any exercise will do it as long as you focus on that phase, ideally its eccentric only but that really makes people sore.

• Like 1

I can't believe they drafted this guy. At the time I tried to shut up lest I get banned but the pick screamed, NO.  It just did. To think people who scout for a living approved Burger. ... That said I always wish our guys the best and some intelligent peeps on this board said he was good, so whatever. It's why I DESPISE the draft. You just never know. I am a results guy and somebody should be fired if Burger is a total bust.

p.s. thank u for the well written excellent article.

Edited by greg775

On 2/5/2020 at 7:06 PM, chitownsportsfan said:

I thought it was a bad pick just because there was no way imo he was going to stay at 3B, and at 1B his bat was likely nothing special and he's the wrong side of any platoon.  So where's the upside?

Whatever the thought process was on the pick it was flawed.  It seems like the reached for what they thought was a "safe" pick that would fit with the rebuild timeline but really any high upside HS player would have been better.

How is that true?

Injury issue:

Burger never had injury issues in college,you can't blame the sox at all for not knowing 

Offensive performance:

Burger hit 325+ every year of his college career. His final year he hit 328 with  22 homers and more walks than Ks, bottom line was a 1100 ops.

He clearly was considered one of the best and most advanced college hitters. Evan white and pavin smith were highly drafted 1b men that year and burger hit better than them in college.

Position and defense:

This one is a legit concern. However his bat would have projected to play at first too, maybe not at a star level but at an average regular level.

You can blame the sox for drafting so many defensively limited guys (basically 3 1b/DH guys in a row with burger, collins and Vaughn) but you absolutely can't blame the sox for not predicting his injuries and there was nothing wrong with his projection as a hitter either.

Edited by Dominikk85
  • Like 2

Dom:

After looking at some of the youtube videos of Burgur at Mizzou State he looked very heavy, imbalanced, a bit pigeon toed, and tripping over his own cleats.  He looked like an accident waiting to happen.  Remember how guys like Fisk and AJ kept themselves in decent condition even though they weren't body builders or big runners?  Collins and Vaughn also keep themselves in good physical condition. 

Is Burgur even trying to get into playing shape now, or has he given up on playing major league baseball?  Will he be on one of the Sox minor league rosters this year?  If so, I would be interested in following his progress.

2 hours ago, tray said:

Dom:

After looking at some of the youtube videos of Burgur at Mizzou State he looked very heavy, imbalanced, a bit pigeon toed, and tripping over his own cleats.  He looked like an accident waiting to happen.  Remember how guys like Fisk and AJ kept themselves in decent condition even though they weren't body builders or big runners?  Collins and Vaughn also keep themselves in good physical condition. 

Is Burgur even trying to get into playing shape now, or has he given up on playing major league baseball?  Will he be on one of the Sox minor league rosters this year?  If so, I would be interested in following his progress.

His dedication to the game and recovery has been brought by more than one person. Doesnt bide well for his return to the game. Got to wonder if the Sox did their due diligence on him or if the 2 injuries and time away just made him realize it wasnt going to happen.

Edited by ptatc

• Rankin unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Is Burger even participating in ST?

I actually think Fulmer eventually carves out a decent role as a pen arm.  Probably not with the Sox, though.  That is better than a lot of 1st rounders can say.  

Haven't seen Burger's name mentioned at all anywhere in or around camp.  If he is in AZ, he's definitely not working out with or hanging around the big club.

16 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Haven't seen Burger's name mentioned at all anywhere in or around camp.  If he is in AZ, he's definitely not working out with or hanging around the big club.

His Twitter account has been pretty dead for a while too. Wonder what (if anything) he is up to.

Edited by DirtySox

21 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

His Twitter account has been pretty dead for a while too. Wonder what (if anything) he is up to.

Judging by his IG not much except spending the rest of his signing money and being a typical twentysomething.   I hope nothing bad happens with him but just honestly he seems like a guy that could go down a bad path with drugs and booze.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

Judging by his IG not much except spending the rest of his signing money and being a typical twentysomething.   I hope nothing bad happens with him but just honestly he seems like a guy that could go down a bad path with drugs and booze.

Lol why?  Seems like quite a leap.  

• Like 2

On 2/27/2020 at 2:59 AM, SouthWallace said:

Jake was seen wearing sweatpants at Taco Bell with Bartolo for the burrito special and still travelling on a skateboard. Hopes to start using a walker soon and then hitting off a tee. 

• Quin locked and unlocked this topic
  • Quin locked this topic