FS: Jake Burger: Forgotten, but not (yet) gone

Rankin

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Jake Burger has been through hell and back. I don't understand the fat jokes. He's supposed to be a really good guy. He is a White Sox. Maybe pull for him.

The rumors of him not being serious about rehab and his evident weight issues don't help...

10 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

The rumors of him not being serious about rehab and his evident weight issues don't help...

Always believe the rumors. Then poke fun at the guy. The funny thing is I would bet that he looks like the Rock next to some people making fat jokes at his expense. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Always believe the rumors. Then poke fun at the guy. The funny thing is I would bet that he looks like the Rock next to some people making fat jokes at his expense. 

Welcome to the internet.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

So can I make fun of him still since I'm not fat?

If it makes you feel better. I just don't understand it. He was a better prospect. Got hurt, and got hurt again. Pretty traumatic for a guy just starting his professional career. Judging him without knowing any facts, just things you want to believe, is ridiculous. Frankly, I think White Sox fans should have nothing but compassion for the guy. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If it makes you feel better. I just don't understand it. He was a better prospect. Got hurt, and got hurt again. Pretty traumatic for a guy just starting his professional career. Judging him without knowing any facts, just things you want to believe, is ridiculous. Frankly, I think White Sox fans should have nothing but compassion for the guy. 

I agree, I haven't made fun of him, BUT the jokes are funny.  He seems to have given up, sucks. I don't know if it warrants compassion though if the guy just gives up after making millions.  I am fine with the jokes assuming he didn't take rehab seriously (likely) and continues taking our paychecks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Jake Burger has been through hell and back. I don't understand the fat jokes. He's supposed to be a really good guy. He is a White Sox. Maybe pull for him.

It's at the point where I'm hoping he can at least make himself desirable enough to another team to be dealt for like international slot money in a year or two or something. Doesn't really have a future here it would seem.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, hi8is said:

The concern from me really is the lack of comment on him in the organization and the silence he’s been having himself.

Both aren’t good indicators of hope.

Exactly.  The White Sox seem to be indicating (by saying nothing) that Jake is pretty much done with baseball and they are going to give him his space.  For his part Jake's social media is basically 90% him and his GF travelling and partying and 10% anything pro baseball related.

Put 2 and 2 together and it doesn't really seem like a guy "all in" on continuing his pro career.  I'd imagine he hangs around the back fields of AZ this year and maybe gets assigned to a low level affiliate where he perhaps can start to rebuild -- perhaps.

There's a pretty good chance he just quietly retires sometime this summer imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I agree, I haven't made fun of him, BUT the jokes are funny.  He seems to have given up, sucks. I don't know if it warrants compassion though if the guy just gives up after making millions.  I am fine with the jokes assuming he didn't take rehab seriously (likely) and continues taking our paychecks.

What makes you think he has given up?  

32 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

What makes you think he has given up?  

He's not in camp and hasn't played an organized baseball game in 3 years.  The latest report on him is from last fall where he was unable to even play in instructional games because of yet another injury.  If you go to his social media it's him travelling and having fun, probably on the last remaining of his 3 million or so signing bonus.  Hopefully he put some cash away and paid off a modest house as this guy is looking at an uncertain future.

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's not in camp and hasn't played an organized baseball game in 3 years.  The latest report on him is from last fall where he was unable to even play in instructional games because of yet another injury.  If you go to his social media it's him travelling and having fun, probably on the last remaining of his 3 million or so signing bonus.  Hopefully he put some cash away and paid off a modest house as this guy is looking at an uncertain future.

Lol, he tore his fucking achilles twice.  What do you want the guy to do - of course he hasn't played in 3 years.  I don't think he's given up.  Just because he posts about his travels on his social media doesn't mean he has given up.  I am not expecting anything from Burger at this point, but I am sure he's doing what he can to get back to playing baseball. He's still 3.5 years younger than Yermin Mercedes who half of Soxtalk is drooling over.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

This doesn't mean he's given up; do you really think the Sox invited him to camp and he said thanks but no thanks?

Also, do you expect him to post videos from the strenuous and lonely rehab process on his social media?

I don't get the assumptions many are making; rehab is horribly lonely and depressing... even more so when you consider that this is his career on the line, and he worked his ass of (I'm sure he did) the first time only to fall victim to the same injury. This is a traumatic injury as well, and it really limits the amount of cardio and etc you can do to stay in shape. 

Burger may just have a body type that, regardless of his work, will be a little larger.

The fear that must seep into his head when doing the most basic drills is immense. I don't know why anyone thinks they know anything about his work ethic and etc... rumors were derived from his appearance - nothing said by anyone within the organization. By all accounts, his teammates constantly post and support him on social media as well so he doesn't appear to be some lazy asshat whose teammates hate him.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This doesn't mean he's given up; do you really think the Sox invited him to camp and he said thanks but no thanks?

Also, do you expect him to post videos from the strenuous and lonely rehab process on his social media?

I don't get the assumptions many are making; rehab is horribly lonely and depressing... even more so when you consider that this is his career on the line, and he worked his ass of (I'm sure he did) the first time only to fall victim to the same injury. This is a traumatic injury as well, and it really limits the amount of cardio and etc you can do to stay in shape. 

Burger may just have a body type that, regardless of his work, will be a little larger.

The fear that must seep into his head when doing the most basic drills is immense. I don't know why anyone thinks they know anything about his work ethic and etc... rumors were derived from his appearance - nothing said by anyone within the organization. By all accounts, his teammates constantly post and support him on social media as well so he doesn't appear to be some lazy asshat whose teammates hate him.

Good post.  Some of the assumptions made in this thread are just gross and embarrassing. 

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Michael Kopech traveled all over the place during his rehab.  The similar injury would be if he blew his arm out again last fall.  

Here is the thing, if Burger does not get hurt and is progressing through the system, Sox may have passed on Vaughan. 

I like Vaughn just fine, but if the White Sox had Burger destroying the minors and moved him to 1b and also had CJ Abrams in their system now as a consequence, I'd be totally ok with having 2 solid prospects as opposed to 1.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Good post.  Some of the assumptions made in this thread are just gross and embarrassing. 

I think most fans downplay how difficult rehab is; it takes away the best part about their "job" and replaces it with 12-16 months of grueling physical work and draining mental work that's reward is hopefully returning to form. To go through that process for 12 months and then have that same injury reoccur really makes you doubt yourself and the process. The mental wear and tear that it has on you is overlooked. It's why I never judge an athlete for "not coming back" when the world thinks they're ready. The last thing a player in professional sports wants to do is practice/rehab and not actually play in the games. 

When you're scared that the next step you take could ruin your entire career - everything you've worked towards for the past 15 years - you are stuck in a lonely place. You think about reinjuring yourself for months after rehab/repair. It's bad enough going through it once, but twice is probably mentally distructive.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

He is taking your paycheck?  Hmmmm.  Seems doubtful  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I respect your empathy and good heart. That being said - I also think that jokes are jokes and separate from statements of legitimate ill-will. 

I also think that people go through more traumatic things in life than being drafted by an MLB organization and not having it work out. That's pretty low on the list of things that "I could never bring myself to laugh at a joke about".

I can also laugh at a joke about a guy but still root for him. If this is true about my close friends - it is certainly true about Jake Burger. 

Edited by Richie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Richie said:

I respect your empathy and good heart. That being said - I also think that jokes are jokes and separate from statements of legitimate ill-will. 

I also think that people go through more traumatic things in life than being drafted by an MLB organization and not having it work out. That's pretty low on the list of things that "I could never bring myself to laugh at a joke about".

I can also laugh at a joke about a guy but still root for him. If this is true about my close friends - it is certainly true about Jake Burger. 

It's the whole, he's overweight so there is no way he is not lazy tone. The guy has suffered two serious injuries and had another huge setback. Why make fun of him based on what someone on the internet claims? 

• Quin locked and unlocked this topic
  • Quin locked this topic