Joc Pederson thoughts

elrockinMT

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

I think we are all in on Mazara. They went to far with the love, just terrible timing for us.

Joc should be a Sock. (I know it's Sox)

I don’t understand why the Sox would just be content with him. Yes he’s better than what we’ve had but when there is a player out there like Joc I think you figure a way to make it work and you probably get him cheap at this point...and if you can’t get over the “love” you’ve given them you shouldn’t be in the business because all it takes is one injury having the Whitesox trot out Adam engel every day. Joc can play all 3 OF spots he’s the perfect player who can fill in any OF spot and get  plenty of ABs even with the Mazara trial being given. It won’t happen though just wishful thinking. 

6 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I don’t understand why the Sox would just be content with him. Yes he’s better than what we’ve had but when there is a player out there like Joc I think you figure a way to make it work and you probably get him cheap at this point...and if you can’t get over the “love” you’ve given them you shouldn’t be in the business because all it takes is one injury having the Whitesox trot out Adam engel every day. Joc can play all 3 OF spots he’s the perfect player who can fill in any OF spot and get  plenty of ABs even with the Mazara trial being given. It won’t happen though just wishful thinking. 

So you're saying trade for him and make Joc 4th OF? I'm not sure many want that.

One thing that would for sure have to happen is if they get Joc, they would need a bench bat to platoon him with (trash against lefties so far over the course of 6 years). As far as everything we have heard so far, they don't plan on platooning Mazara (not at first anyway).

Edited by soxfan2014

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

So you're saying trade for him and make Joc 4th OF? I'm not sure many want that.

One thing that would for sure have to happen is if they got Joc, they would need a bench bat to platoon him with (trash against lefties so far over the course of 6 years). As far as everything we have heard so far, they don't plan on platooning Mazara (not at first anyway).

I’m saying you acquire Joc and let Mazara and him battle it out. Nothing wrong with having too many good players. Let the rest play itself out. If Mazara beats him out then so be it and Joc is a 4th outfielder. Would much rather have that then automatically assuming Mazara is going to be something drastically different than what he has been just because of a change of scenery 

6 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

I would be pissed if i were pederson, what a stressful time it must be for him.

He just got paid $7.75 million for 2020 and he almost didn’t have to move to change teams.  Now, it sucks because he will likely be traded to a non-LA team but if he wants playing time, it is what it is.

Is Gavin Lux for sure the starting 2B for the Dodgers to open the year? If not, they can still find playing time for all their depth. Would require starting Bellinger or Pederson at 1B and shifting Muncy to 2B and using an OF of Bellinger/Pederson, Pollock and Betts. Chris Taylor and Kike Hernandez are bench/platoon guys mostly so there would still be PT for them against lefties.

If Lux is their guy at 2B, I guess having Pollock as a backup OF/platoon with Joc for a while wouldn't be the worst. Plus injuries happen.

2 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Oh man, c’mon Rick.  Here’s your second, maybe third chance at Joc.  Reel him in this time, please.

Propose a trade.to get JP , then another trade to get rid of Mazara .Keep in mind the Sox already gave up a prospect for Mazara  Could they get an equal prospect back for him ? Who still needs help in a corner OF ? Cardinals ? Giants ?

Do the Sox really need to trade 2 prospects for a RF for 1 year when they already traded one prospect for 2 years ?

2 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

One thing that would for sure have to happen is if they get Joc, they would need a bench bat to platoon him with (trash against lefties so far over the course of 6 years). As far as everything we have heard so far, they don't plan on platooning Mazara (not at first anyway).

Both are unplayable against lefties.

Pederson career wRC+ against LHP: 57
Mazara career wRC+ against LHP: 59

I would be very happy with Mazara as a 4th OF. He could come in and play RF late in games and Pederson could move over to LF. Either Pederson or Mazara could DH against RHP and Pederson even played a little 1B last year (though he was terrible at it). Pederson can also fake it in CF if Robert gets dinged up and misses a few games, but if Robert were to go on the IL then Engel would probably have to be called up.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I would have preferred Joc to Mazara, but at this point we got to see what we have in Nomar.  It’s very clear the Sox are very high on him and we might as well see what he’s capable of now that he’s healthy and not forced to bat in the middle of their lineup.

I think you're right.

I think KenHahn got all hot and bothered watching Mazara get 3 of his 19 HR against AAAA white sox pitching in 2019.

Problem is that Mazara wont get the chance to face the shitty 2019 White Sox pitching staff, and collect ~16% of his HR in doing so.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I think you're right.

I think KenHahn got all hot and bothered watching Mazara get 3 of his 19 HR against AAAA white sox pitching in 2019.

Problem is that Mazara wont get the chance to face the shitty 2019 White Sox pitching staff, and collect ~16% of his HR in doing so.

But he will get to face the Tigers and Royals a lot more than he faced the Sox.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

This is true. Now we gotta hope the ball will be as lively in 2020.

Mazara was 8th in all of baseball in 2019 for average distance of HR and 6th in 2018 , 11th in 2017 so I doubt it's the ball only .

What we have to hope for is him hitting more fly balls and less ground balls.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Here are Mazara’s splits against RHP from June to August after some approach changes and before going down with oblique & thumb injuries: .333/.382/.593/.975 (143 wRC+).  Yes, that line is partially fueled by a .400 BABIP but the. 260 ISO is legit and that led to 15 2B’s & 8 HR’s in about 165 plate appearances.

I’m not looking to do a rah-rah post here and I was plenty upset about the Mazara trade at the time, but that was before we added Encarnación to help anchor the middle of the lineup next year.  Now with EE in the fold, I’m far more willing to gamble on Nomar’s update.  This was a kid who got a $5M bonus and was consensus top 20 prospect in the game before reaching the majors.  There is no doubting the talent and while I am with the group that argues age isn’t a skill, the reality is there is still plenty of room for growth when you are still just 24 years old and were brought to the major at an incredibly young age.

Again, I would have preferred Joc over Mazara all else being equal, but the org has made it’s move and is not going to pay even more to acquire a redundant player in Pederson.  IMO, we should give the front office the benefit of the doubt here and see how this plays out.  The Sox are betting on on their own evaluations and if they’re right this could be a big win for us.  If not, go ahead and rip them shreds after the season for going with a questionable RF option when the rest of their moves were geared towards winning now.

For now, my primary concern is them using Nomar as an everyday guy.  At bare minimum, I think he should be a useful strong side platoon RF, but the kid can not hit LHP and the org better not cute here by over-exposing him.  Giving him everyday at-bats is a recipe for disaster and I wish he had a more proven platoon mate than Engel to avoid such temptation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2