Sox Have Deal for Norge Vera - 2020 Class

DirtySox

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Does this take them out on Colas? 

It shouldn't. Bonus amounts aren't know yet. Sox should have close to $6 million. This deal is $1.5 million and I have them on 6 more signings at $1.8 million. That should leave them close to $3 million more 

• Love 2

5 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Would've been the top pitcher in the 2019 international class. Valued in 2nd range in the MLB draft. Very similar to Matthew Thompson and Andrew Dalquist 

So they basically got another 2nd round pick for just money. Sounds like a nice deal then. It’s always a good thing to add another young arm with upside into the system.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Would've been the top pitcher in the 2019 international class. Valued in 2nd range in the MLB draft. Very similar to Matthew Thompson and Andrew Dalquist 

I loved the forward thinking drafting of Thompson and Dalquist last year...and this seems to add to that strategy 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It shouldn't. Bonus amounts aren't know yet. Sox should have close to $6 million. This deal is $1.5 million and I have them on 6 more signings at $1.8 million. That should leave them close to $3 million more 

Ok, good to know. I don't know why I thought that they'd only have around $3-4M in bonus money. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28661018/white-sox-reach-deal-cuban-rhp-norge-carlos-vera

He's a projectable 6-foot-4 whose fastball sits in the low-90s and has been up to 97, with a slider and changeup that helps his profile as a potential third or fourth starter. Vera is represented by Charisse Dash and Alex Cotto of The Movement Management Group.

Multiple international scouting sources said the White Sox also have interest in Cuban star OF/LHP Oscar Colas, who recently defected. It's unclear how Vera's deal will impact the White Sox's pursuit of Colas. Chicago's international bonus pool for the 2019-20 signing period was slightly less than $5.4 million.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Thanks 1

Very good move and at a really, good price. 

Lack of pitching depth was an organizational concern going into last year’s draft, drafting Dalquist and Thompson helped infuse some young and projectable talent into the system. Veras follows suit. 

• Thanks 1