Nick Madrigal will have a shot at being the Opening Day 2b

iWiN4PreP

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ll still be surprised if they don’t sign another infield option before Opening Day.  The lack of depth on the left-side of the infield is a bit scary at the moment.

Yes, especially since I don’t expect Madrigal to make the opening day roster.  Mendick and Leury?  Oof.

Still some guys left:

Brian Dozier

Scooter Gennett

Brock Holt

Jason Kipnis

Brad Miller

Ben Zobrist

Edited by Moan4Yoan

11 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yes, especially since I don’t expect Madrigal to make the opening day roster.  Mendick and Leury?  Oof.

Still some guys left:

Brian Dozier

Scooter Gennett

Brock Holt

Jason Kipnis

Brad Miller

Ben Zobrist

This isn't a very good list for helping the left side of the infield. 

• Haha 1

Leaving Madrigal down in the Minors could be a fools errand *if* it is being done solely for service time purposes.  Madrigal does not profile like a star player that will  dominate the league this season and  become difficult to reach agreement with on a contract extension.  If he demonstrates in ST that he is truly not ready for advancement to the major league roster, that is a different story. In that case, he will have more to prove than can be accomplished in a 4 week stint in the Minors. Another option might be be to have Madrigal, Mendick and Leury on the OD roster and platoon Madrigal with Mendick  and Leury as necessary. That way, Madrigal and Mendick can be evaluated by Renteria and Sox management to determine if the Sox need to send one or both of them down and if they need to add another inf/outfield bench player.

Once fans see Madrigal and Mendick play a few games in ST, opinions on this will be flying here.

Edited by tray

7 minutes ago, tray said:

Madrigal does not profile like a star player that will  dominate the league this season and  become difficult to reach agreement with on a contract extension.

Replying to myself... if Madrigal does end up dominating at second base and we learn that we have an Altuve or Dustin Pedroia type at second base, don't even worry about that either because we will probably have a play-off team this year. Then the Sox should happily sign Madrigal to an extension knowing what they have at another key position.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Ummmmmm, last time I checked 2B is on the right side of the infield. 

I thought of it from the player's perspective, not the fans. 

From the players perspective 1B and 2B are on the left side of the IF. That's where I thought everyone was discussing. I thought this whole discussion was about 2B. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 2