Nick Madrigal will have a shot at being the Opening Day 2b

iWiN4PreP

We will have 13 position players on the 26 man roster.

If the Sox decide to bring up Madrigal and Mendick, the OD roster could look like this:

SS - Anderson 
      3B - Moncada
      1B - Abreu
      DH - Encarnacion
      LF - Eloy
      RF - Mazara
      CF - Robert
      C  - Grandal
      2B - Madrigal

Bench:

James McCann
     Danny Mendick
     Leury Garcia
     Adam Engel

13 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

At Madrigal's peak, how much does someone like him get paid in free agency?

I was trying to think of similar players to what he projects to be with the same reasoning in mind.  I don't foresee Madrigal being so expensive in FA that he would be impossible to extend in the next 5 years if he forces his way onto the opening day roster.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

lI thought of it from the player's perspective, not the fans. 

From the players perspective 1B and 2B are on the left side of the IF. That's where I thought everyone was discussing. I thought this whole discussion was about 2B. 

Do you know the difference between left field and right field, or are just re-defining them?

Edited by oldsox
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

I was trying to think of similar players to what he projects to be with the same reasoning in mind.  I don't foresee Madrigal being so expensive in FA that he would be impossible to extend in the next 5 years if he forces his way onto the opening day roster.

Yes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthWallace said:

No idea because it really depends on if he hits 280/330/400 or he hits 300/360/440.  the latter is a borderline star with good defense at 2B, a 3-4 WAR player.  The former is just a solid regular 2 WAR type.

Can he find some power?  Can he maintain a high batting average without it?  Can he learn to take a few more walks?  We'll see.

1 hour ago, SouthWallace said:

That's kind of what I was implying. If he's a .310/.400/.390 hitter (let's just say), with good defense, is that $10M a year? More? Less? Point is, I can't imagine losing that extra year of service time for a slap hitter who plays good D is all that important financially. Robert, Moncada, Jimenez, all of those make sense, but Madrigal is such a wild card.

34 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

That's kind of what I was implying. If he's a .310/.400/.390 hitter (let's just say), with good defense, is that $10M a year? More? Less? Point is, I can't imagine losing that extra year of service time for a slap hitter who plays good D is all that important financially. Robert, Moncada, Jimenez, all of those make sense, but Madrigal is such a wild card.

If he plays 150 games and is + 10 runs FRAA with a .400 OBP he's a 5-6 WAR superstar.  He'd be Robbie Alomar with a little less power.  He'd be one of the highest paid players in MLB.

15 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Interesting. Never really thought of it that way.

Madrigal has a very unique skill set.  I'm not sure he'll ever put it all together but if he does he'll be a star.  There are hardly any players that can hit 300 and play great defense up the middle.  If he walks or hits for any power on top of that he'll be a superstar.  Fun player to dream on, similar to Robert but in a completely different way.

2 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Leury is completely fine for two weeks of mostly rainouts, coldouts, and stupid early season days off, guys.

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Madrigal has a very unique skill set.  I'm not sure he'll ever put it all together but if he does he'll be a star.  There are hardly any players that can hit 300 and play great defense up the middle.  If he walks or hits for any power on top of that he'll be a superstar.  Fun player to dream on, similar to Robert but in a completely different way.

Nick could emulate a right side Nelson Fox. Rarely struck out, lead the league in hits four times, not much power and OPS was bit modest. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

If he plays 150 games and is + 10 runs FRAA with a .400 OBP he's a 5-6 WAR superstar.  He'd be Robbie Alomar with a little less power.  He'd be one of the highest paid players in MLB.

Players with a .400 obp last season:

Mike Trout (.438)

Christian Yelich (.429)

Alex Bregman (.432)

Anthony Rendon (.412)

Cody Bellinger (.406)

Juan Soto (.401)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

That explains the confusion. 

So you've been a baseball fan for a long time and always thought the left side of the infield was in front of a place they call Right Field while the right side of the infield was in front of Left Field ? Always thought it was kind of self explanatory but hey now you know ;

Some times our brains betray us. As a kid and not knowing much about death and having some relatives who threw around words like babushka and klotzskis, I'd often hear the term "who died and left you boss" ? I thought died and left was one foreign word in German or something. Diedundtlefft. I eventually figured it out .

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So you've been a baseball fan for a long time and always thought the left side of the infield was in front of a place they call Right Field while the right side of the infield was in front of Left Field ? Always thought it was kind of self explanatory but hey now you know ;

Some times our brains betray us. As a kid and not knowing much about death and having some relatives who threw around words like babushka and klotzskis, I'd often hear the term "who died and left you boss" ? I thought died and left was one foreign word in German or something. Diedundtlefft. I eventually figured it out .

Yeah because I always framed it from the defender's perspective. I've never understood why RF and LF weren't reversed. 

I always thought it was weird that a RH batter pulls the ball to LF and a LH batter pulls the ball to RF. Just my opinion, but if I created baseball RF would be to the right of the CF and LF would be to the CF's left, and thus the opposite of current convention. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He has great strike zone recognition and walked nearly 10% of his ABs in AAA. A lack of walks in the big leagues would because he never punishes pitchers.

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He has great strike zone recognition and walked nearly 10% of his ABs in AAA. A lack of walks in the big leagues would because he never punishes pitchers.

correct.  I've worried since he was drafted that he'll get the bat knocked out of hands before he is issued a walk at the MLB level.  We'll see.  He seems to be putting on the "doubles" strength at least.